KO & JC Discuss "Championship Hangover" | The Boneyard

KO & JC Discuss "Championship Hangover"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tick, tick, tick....

Waiting for the Nolan reports. What's going on Phil?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I get it that it's August but what a stupid column. Could you possibly ask a more boring question that will only elicit canned answers than that?

Reaction Score
I get it that it's August but what a stupid column. Could you possibly ask a more boring question that will only elicit canned answers than that?

The next time I hear a canned answer from KO will be the first. You could ask him about his shoe selection and he'll have you fired up by the time he's done talking. I'm not a fan of Amore by any means but I think he chose an interesting topic. A "championship hangover" is never something you envision being a problem until it is, and in my opinion, it's going to be our biggest obstacle next season (playing in the AAC won't help). Regardless of how motivating KO is, these kids have been hearing about how great they are for four months now. At some point, it starts to go to your head, it's just human nature. I'm near certain that the championship hangover was the biggest contributing factor to the disappointing 2011-12 season, and it could easily happen again.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The next time I hear a canned answer from KO will be the first. You could ask him about his shoe selection and he'll have you fired up by the time he's done talking. I'm not a fan of Amore by any means but I think he chose an interesting topic. A "championship hangover" is never something you envision being a problem until it is, and in my opinion, it's going to be our biggest obstacle next season (playing in the AAC won't help). Regardless of how motivating KO is, these kids have been hearing about how great they are for four months now. At some point, it starts to go to your head, it's just human nature. I'm near certain that the championship hangover was the biggest contributing factor to the disappointing 2011-12 season, and it could easily happen again.

Our biggest obstacle is no Bazz! :)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What exactly were you hoping to see? No snark.

I have no problem with KO or JC giving generic answers because how else could you possibly answer them?

I think the column was stupid and lazy by Amore, when going into it you know the exact answers the coaches are going to give.

Like, what did you expect KO to say? Yea we won it last year so we're pretty content with that and assume we'll be able to coast to another title?

It's just a lazy job by what should be an extremely coveted gig within the state.

Reaction Score
@champs99and04 Did you read the quotes?

I did. And while I obviously don't expect him to say "we'll be able to coast to another title", I thought his comments on the offseason workout programs were interesting: "We have a tough, strenuous training regimen that we do and it kind of weeds out players that are not dedicated. Then we can go in and reinforce that and say, ‘You’re not going to make it through the first day of practice if you’re in this type of shape, because you can’t even do these little things we’re doing now. It really opens people’s eyes up and they say, ‘We’re still working. We’re not sitting back and laying down on a national championship, we’re trying to build upon it.”

I'm sure this isn't much different than what goes on at various other programs, but in conjunction with other comments Ollie has made about how difficult his practices are, you kind of get a glimpse into why UConn seemed to be the team in the best shape last March. I thought this was interesting, too: “We’re just trying not to let complacency set in, where you just think it’s going to be done and you’re some kind of special team. You were a special team last year, but this is a whole different team and there are different opponents you’re playing against and you’ve got to come out with that hungry mindset again - that you’ve got something to prove each and every minute you’re on the basketball court. If you don’t do that, you’re going to sit down with me. Everybody understands that, and if you don’t you understand that, hopefully you do understand that soon once we get in practice."

You would have been surprised by how many people on this board thought Oriakhi and Roscoe were entitled to minutes in 2012 because of their roles on the 2011 championship team. Based on the comments above, that's clearly now how Ollie conducts business. It'll be interesting to see if any chemistry problems emerge if/when players from the championship team are displaced in the rotation. I don't get the sense anybody on the roster aside from Boatright is going to have a guaranteed starting spot.

Reaction Score
This is the team I want to see DEFEND.

Brimah
Facey
Purvis
Samuel
Boatright

Facey is the wildcard here. That could be a lethal team defensively primed for another March run.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is the team I want to see DEFEND.

Brimah
Facey
Purvis
Samuel
Boatright

Facey is the wildcard here. That could be a lethal team defensively primed for another March run.

If we are talking purely defense, I'd throw Rock in there ahead of Facey (D/Rebounds/aggression). Hopefully Facey brings a well rounded game to the table.

Reaction Score
If we are talking purely defense, I'd throw Rock in there ahead of Facey (D/Rebounds/aggression). Hopefully Facey brings a well rounded game to the table.

I only saw two of his games but Lubin's D was pretty terrible. He's starting here with a clean slate and more will be asked of him so we'll see how he does in that role, but I defenitely wouldn't slot him ahead of Facey right now. Facey struggled on D last year but it looked more like he didn't know where to be at times, that can hopefully improve with more playing time and reps. Facey was also an elite rebounder and shotblocker in HS himself and with his wingspan I would expect him to be a much better shotblocker than Lubin at the college level.

Reaction Score
I did. And while I obviously don't expect him to say "we'll be able to coast to another title", I thought his comments on the offseason workout programs were interesting: "We have a tough, strenuous training regimen that we do and it kind of weeds out players that are not dedicated. Then we can go in and reinforce that and say, ‘You’re not going to make it through the first day of practice if you’re in this type of shape, because you can’t even do these little things we’re doing now. It really opens people’s eyes up and they say, ‘We’re still working. We’re not sitting back and laying down on a national championship, we’re trying to build upon it.”

I'm sure this isn't much different than what goes on at various other programs, but in conjunction with other comments Ollie has made about how difficult his practices are, you kind of get a glimpse into why UConn seemed to be the team in the best shape last March. I thought this was interesting, too: “We’re just trying not to let complacency set in, where you just think it’s going to be done and you’re some kind of special team. You were a special team last year, but this is a whole different team and there are different opponents you’re playing against and you’ve got to come out with that hungry mindset again - that you’ve got something to prove each and every minute you’re on the basketball court. If you don’t do that, you’re going to sit down with me. Everybody understands that, and if you don’t you understand that, hopefully you do understand that soon once we get in practice."

You would have been surprised by how many people on this board thought Oriakhi and Roscoe were entitled to minutes in 2012 because of their roles on the 2011 championship team. Based on the comments above, that's clearly now how Ollie conducts business. It'll be interesting to see if any chemistry problems emerge if/when players from the championship team are displaced in the rotation. I don't get the sense anybody on the roster aside from Boatright is going to have a guaranteed starting spot.

Not sure how chemistry issues evolve when 3 starters are gone - Bazz, DD, Giff. Problems seem to evolve when Oriaki/Smith type playing time player wants to expand role or change role and is not capable or is not what coaches want.

Boat - he and coach want him to be PG.
Nolan/Brimah - both need to get better at what they are supposed to do (rebound, defend, finish) and both had enough problems doing these (e.g. Nolan finishing against Kentucky) such that all their concentration should be on that. Don't see Nolan looking to be the new DD.
That's it for "starters".
Kromah and Olander gone so reserves returning are:
Omar - needs to earn back starters role or at least get into rotation. Seems to know this and had good attitude while on bench. Will get time to prove what he can do at practice/games so expect he will do what he can and both he and Ollie will agree on what his role ends up being.
Samuel - see him needing to broaden his role to increase impact and into areas he may not be as good at. Kid can drive. Everything else is up for improvement. He and Ollie know this and he might have some downs before he gets better and might get passed in rotation (at least for a while).
Facey - only non/not much playing time guy returning. Could have anywhere from DD to Olander type role. A more offensive Roscoe at UNLV is where he can earn his keep, seems like he and Ollie would both lead him to that. If he is good enough to be a DD on offense, look out.
New guys - don't expect chemistry issues. A couple are older so with that comes some better concept of who they are as players, how they improve and how they make the team better. One is hopefully an Adrien type and for 1st year being beast in game is where you get minutes. Hamilton will be the kid with most undefined role initially, seems like from family that has lot of history with college athletics and with picking Ollie as coach he should understand and buy into what "10 toes in" means.
So with all the new pieces and the abilities/prior roles/projected new roles for the players don't see "roles type chemistry issues". If some guys just can't make their and Ollie's preferred role work then they either adjust or sit (say Omar can't get back to form or Cassell much better at running team than Boat or more likely just being better at it than Samuel).

Reaction Score

I'd put Nolan ahead of both Facey and Rock in terms of our best defensive options at the four. His performance against Payne in the elite eight provided a glimpse into the type of versatility he can provide defensively. I know pretty much everybody has Nolan slotted as purely a five next season, but I expect him to play some four and potentially take some minutes from Facey. It wouldn't be ideal from a spacing standpoint, but defensively, a Nolan/Brimah front court would be a terror.

Reaction Score
Not sure how chemistry issues evolve when 3 starters are gone - Bazz, DD, Giff. Problems seem to evolve when Oriaki/Smith type playing time player wants to expand role or change role and is not capable or is not what coaches want.

Think about it. Six guys are back from the championship team a year ago (Boatright, Samuel, Calhoun, Nolan, Facey, Brimah) and many of them are going to be looking for expanded roles and/or additional playing time. Purvis is a five star transfer from N.C. State who is going to be expecting to play 30+ minutes a game from the jump. Daniel Hamilton is a top 30 recruit who is going to be expecting minutes right away. Cassell and Lubin are wild cards.

There are going to be log jams at certain positions, and while that's mostly a good thing, it's possible we could have some unhappy players when minutes get distributed. As far as I can tell, Boatright is the only guy we can pencil in for 30+ minutes next year. The rest of them are up for grabs.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I'd put Nolan ahead of both Facey and Rock in terms of our best defensive options at the four. His performance against Payne in the elite eight provided a glimpse into the type of versatility he can provide defensively. I know pretty much everybody has Nolan slotted as purely a five next season, but I expect him to play some four and potentially take some minutes from Facey. It wouldn't be ideal from a spacing standpoint, but defensively, a Nolan/Brimah front court would be a terror.

Man, I love watching that opening possession of TCFs recording of the MSU/UConn E8 game. Nolan absolutely set the tone defensively against Payne and he could never really get going the whole game. Payne had to settle for outside jumpers... and he hit a few, but he never dominated in the paint or on the boards like I feared he would. Brilliant performance from Nolan that game (and honorable mention to Amida).

Definitely see Nolan spending some time at the 4 in the few occasions we go big. If he performs well there, we may see more of him in that role. KO has shown the ability to change playing styles to suit his team's and player's strengths. If Nolan is an asset at the 4, we will see him there.

Reaction Score
Man, I love watching that opening possession of TCFs recording of the MSU/UConn E8 game. Nolan absolutely set the tone defensively against Payne and he could never really get going the whole game. Payne had to settle for outside jumpers... and he hit a few, but he never dominated in the paint or on the boards like I feared he would. Brilliant performance from Nolan that game (and honorable mention to Amida).

Definitely see Nolan spending some time at the 4 in the few occasions we go big. If he performs well there, we may see more of him in that role. KO has shown the ability to change playing styles to suit his team's and player's strengths. If Nolan is an asset at the 4, we will see him there.

I had the luxury of going to that game as press, and I was sitting next to a bunch of the MSU press guys. When Nolan forced that turnover, it was like somebody let the air out of all of them. I was absolutely terrified of Payne going into that game because I didn't think we'd have a prayer defending him inside, and Nolan really stepped up. He's never going to be a star, but that game is going to make sure that UConn fans remember him for a long time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I agree with you in principle, and won't mind seeing those two on the court at the same time. I'd counter with potential foul trouble situations though. Even with improvement in Nolan/Brimah, I expect them to still get in some foul trouble, and realistically, those are the only two guys who can play the 5. So I'd be hesitant to go Nolan/Brimah as the main combo full time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I only saw two of his games but Lubin's D was pretty terrible. He's starting here with a clean slate and more will be asked of him so we'll see how he does in that role, but I defenitely wouldn't slot him ahead of Facey right now. Facey struggled on D last year but it looked more like he didn't know where to be at times, that can hopefully improve with more playing time and reps. Facey was also an elite rebounder and shotblocker in HS himself and with his wingspan I would expect him to be a much better shotblocker than Lubin at the college level.

Rock can clearly rebound at an elite level too. I've heard, but do not know, that he did not play great D in the couple of games that were available online. In any case, I expect Facey to play far more than Rock based on experience alone, never mind likely having a more well rounded game.

Reaction Score
I agree with you in principle, and won't mind seeing those two on the court at the same time. I'd counter with potential foul trouble situations though. Even with improvement in Nolan/Brimah, I expect them to still get in some foul trouble, and realistically, those are the only two guys who can play the 5. So I'd be hesitant to go Nolan/Brimah as the main combo full time.

I wouldn't be shocked if Facey or Lubin sees a little time at the 5 this year. Facey certainly has the athleticism for it, and Lubin's build should allow him to play credible low-post defense, though we'd lack a rim protector at that point. I don't think it will be a lot, but given the issues that Brimah and Nolan have with staying on the court, I think we're likely to see some weird lineups from time to time, unless we find an Olander lying around.

Reaction Score
Great analysis guys. With many guys gone, Bazz, Giffey, Olander, Kromah, DD all gone, and a bunch of new players on the team, who is the go to guy this year. I remember that to be a great team, that team has to have a go to guy. I am not sure that RB is the guy.I like RB but is he the go to guy? Bazz was the unquestioned go to guy. Who is the ONE?

Reaction Score
lubin has to be emergency big, right? Brimah/Nolan/Facey plus a small ball 4, i think ollie noted he might play hamilton at the 4.

Reaction Score
Rock can clearly rebound at an elite level too.

Based on what? I'm not being snarky, but this is a pretty lightly-regarded kid who's going to be undersized at his position. There's really no body of work that justifies these outsize expectations. There was somebody on here last month talking about he's Charles Oakley with better intangibles, whatever that means, and he's off to the NBA after three years.

Maybe Lubin will step in right away and be Jeff Adrien as a freshman, but Jeff brought a much bigger rep with him than Lubin does. I just don't see where all the Lubin hype is coming from.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Based on what? I'm not being snarky, but this is a pretty lightly-regarded kid who's going to be undersized at his position. There's really no body of work that justifies these outsize expectations. There was somebody on here last month talking about he's Charles Oakley with better intangibles, whatever that means, and he's off to the NBA after three years.

Maybe Lubin will step in right away and be Jeff Adrien as a freshman, but Jeff brought a much bigger rep with him than Lubin does. I just don't see where all the Lubin hype is coming from.

Woah, I'm saying nothing about Oakley or even domination at the college level. In the context I wrote it, I can see how that was misleading. I should have specified "elite level in high school". Didn't he average about 13 a game or something?

Completely just talk, but KO on Lubin:

"He's going to be a great building block for us," coach Kevin Ollie said. "Just a great rebounder, big in every way imaginable. We can't wait for him to get here, he's got a great personality, too, so he's going to fit right in our locker room and be a guy that's going to bring a lot of leadership and a lot of muscle."

I'm also projecting a bit based on this (which I know isn't the best thingto do):

Rakim-Lubin-NS.jpeg

web1_1117_GDP_Rakim_Lubin_Buford_t670.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member