KO can really screw up | The Boneyard

KO can really screw up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on what i saw last night, i think KO will make all the right choices, but KO can really mess things up this year. All these options will allow us all to really question his coaching if we have a dissapointing finish to the year. More than other years. For example, if we lost in 2014 no one was going to complain that Terrance Samuel didnt get enough playing time. Dont get me wrong, Samuel had a couple nice stretches and definitely did his part, but if bazz and boat weren't in foul trouble we all definitely wanted Samuel leading the cheers from the bench. If we lose this year i can definitely see us complaining that someone should have played more. Adams is a likely candidate.

Reaction Score
Actually, at times, plenty of people DID complain that Terrance Samuel didn't get enough burn. Any perceived under-performance will always illicit some amount of debate over decision-making in any number of areas. That is a primary raison d'etre of the board.

Reaction Score
The team is clearly awesome. Options are many. Expectations will be high. It's definitely a good problem.

Reaction Score
Ummmm what the heck are you talking about? I mean I see what would be a problem if it was a close game but Ollie had the luxury to give other players time and still get more looks. This game was played far better the the two exhibitions. All they would have done was run up the score had he not shared the minutes. I would have loved to see them score 120 pnts myself. lol

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Actually, at times, plenty of people DID complain that Terrance Samuel didn't get enough burn. Any perceived under-performance will always illicit some amount of debate over decision-making in any number of areas. That is a primary raison d'etre of the board.

If there's one thing we can count on here, it's for people to find something to complain about.

Reaction Score
Now that's posting outside the box there ND.
I watched that game and thought of last year's Kentucky team which failed in the end, but looked so awesome early on.

Reaction Score
I watched that game and thought of last year's Kentucky team which failed in the end, but looked so awesome early on.

Please, please stop. We do not have nearly the collection of individual talent that last year's Kentucky team had. The good news is that last year's Kentucky team has zero chance of winning a chamionship, and our chance is greater than that.

Reaction Score
Please, please stop. We do not have nearly the collection of individual talent that last year's Kentucky team had. The good news is that last year's Kentucky team has zero chance of winning a chamionship, and our chance is greater than that.
My point with the Kentucky reference is Kentucky fans had a lot to complain about after they lost. So many lineups and options for Cal to consider. So many things for fans to second guess. That doesnt happen as much when you have 2 or 3 subs. It's a scenario we may be in this year.

Reaction Score
So, is the premise of this topic that UConn is so good and so talented that we have to worry about Ollie's ability to optimize it? This is not a cause for concern.

Reaction Score
So, is the premise of this topic that UConn is so good and so talented that we have to worry about Ollie's ability to optimize it? This is not a cause for concern.
Not a horrible way to word it

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
On the one hand I give you credit for setting your own table; no post hoc conclusions for you! Nope, when Ollie slips up you will have called it. Bravo!

I use "when" instead of "if" for two reasons. The anonymous realms of Internet message boards are both a landing spot and breeding ground for negativity and other antisocial tendencies. UConn could win the championship and there will still be a very few finding fault with something, including Ollie's coaching.

And they will have something to go on. Nobody is perfect. Ollie will "screw up" in some way before the long season is over. The real questions are how much more right will he do than wrong, who is qualified to make that distinction (certainly not the type of critic who harps on a flaw even when a team exceeds expectations), and at what success level does the term "screw up" have legitimacy beyond the obvious.

For example, if UConn makes it as far as Kentucky did last year there absolutely will be a few criticizing coaching decisions on here, even as the majority rolls their eyes at the absurdity of the critics. Ah, but what about the OP? What level of failure do you think will make your inevitable critique justified?

Reaction Score
@NDakotaHusky i'm all for making conversation and am not going to bash you for this post (which for some reason people love to do here), but I don't think Ollie will have lineup challenges based on what I saw last night. The starting 5, barring injury, will be the starting 5 all season and we will get great minutes off the bench from Calhoun, Adams, Nolan, Facey and possibly Enoch.

It's the right starting 5 and they are talented and very experienced. I don't think there are too many lineup options to consider (like KY last year). All things considered (game 1, lousy opponnent, etc.), last night was exciting to watch and Coach Ollie has a great team to work with. That starting 5 should be on the floor as much as possible.

Reaction Score
On the one hand I give you credit for setting your own table; no post hoc conclusions for you! Nope, when Ollie slips up you will have called it. Bravo!

I use "when" instead of "if" for two reasons. The anonymous realms of Internet message boards are both a landing spot and breeding ground for negativity and other antisocial tendencies. UConn could win the championship and there will still be a very few finding fault with something, including Ollie's coaching.

And they will have something to go on. Nobody is perfect. Ollie will "screw up" in some way before the long season is over. The real questions are how much more right will he do than wrong, who is qualified to make that distinction (certainly not the type of critic who harps on a flaw even when a team exceeds expectations), and at what success level does the term "screw up" have legitimacy beyond the obvious.

For example, if UConn makes it as far as Kentucky did last year there absolutely will be a few criticizing coaching decisions on here, even as the majority rolls their eyes at the absurdity of the critics. Ah, but what about the OP? What level of failure do you think will make your inevitable critique justified?
My name is Tim New. I am an Electrical Engineer. I work for John Deere. I live in Fargo, ND. I grew up in Barkhamsted, CT. I'm not anonymous.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn was outstanding last night, but don't lose sight of the fact that Maine was 3-27 in the America East last year. UConn has basically played 3 exhibition games thus far. The only difference between Maine vs. UNH or Tampa is that the Maine victory counts in the regular season record. Talent-wise, Maine is basically Div. 2 team.

Unless UConn put on a performance like they did last year vs. Bryant, very little can be gleaned from that game.

Reaction Score
@NDakotaHusky i'm all for making conversation and am not going to bash you for this post (which for some reason people love to do here), but I don't think Ollie will have lineup challenges based on what I saw last night. The starting 5, barring injury, will be the starting 5 all season and we will get great minutes off the bench from Calhoun, Adams, Nolan, Facey and possibly Enoch.

It's the right starting 5 and they are talented and very experienced. I don't think there are too many lineup options to consider (like KY last year). All things considered (game 1, lousy opponnent, etc.), last night was exciting to watch and Coach Ollie has a great team to work with. That starting 5 should be on the floor as much as possible.
Agreed. The starting 5 was clearly the best lineup last night. They pushed the ball line they were programmed to do so.

Reaction Score
My name is Tim New. I am an Electrical Engineer. I work for John Deere. I live in Fargo, ND. I grew up in Barkhamsted, CT. I'm not anonymous.
What are you new, Tim?!?

JK, the options problem as you see it won't be an issue against our tougher opponents, trust. The rotation will get tightened up against more skilled teams. Adams will find his way onto the floor plenty in crunchtime. I doubt we'll be debating that we should have played Nolan over Facey in spots or SCIII over Purvis. Gonna be a lot of Gibbs/Adams/Hamilton on the floor when ballhandling and FTs are paramount.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Whatever i guess. Just making conversation.

Yeah that's a bad posting philosophy. Quit while you're behind.

I'm not sure which of the 3 threads started by you today is the worst... This one, the post about Brimahs muscles, or the post saying 'Maines bad' . Probably this one. Try not to post unless you think you're contributing something. You're starting to become a borderline troll if you're questioning KOs coaching decisions in a blowout with how well the team played.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

There's a Barkhamsted, CT?! I don't know any of the towns north of Hartford.

Actually I just googled it and I see it's just north of Torrington. I was just there for a stag last weekend. I love learning about these obscure little towns I've never heard of.

Reaction Score
There's a Barkhamsted, CT?! I don't know any of the towns north of Hartford.

Actually I just googled it and I see it's just north of Torrington. I was just there for a stag last weekend. I love learning about these obscure little towns I've never heard of.
Yeah, a very nice stretch of the Farmington River runs through Barkhamsted. Good fishing in Riverton (which is part of Barkhamsted). I did a lot of Canoeing on that river as a youth. The Barkhamsted Reservoir is pretty nice as well. It's one of the larger reservoirs that supplies drinking water to Hartford. Maybe the largest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom