KO breaks down the roster | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO breaks down the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
While it could certainly happen, at this point I don't expect Gilbert to start. I envision him coming off the bench as a spark as a freshman. Starters most likely will be Adams/Purvis/Larrier/Facey/Brimah.
Agree, this is the team most likely to be starters at the beginning of the year. The 4 is the only place that we'll probably see changes. The question of how the non-starter minutes are distributed will be interesting. Of course, who will be on the floor at the end of games will tell the tale. If Alterique can rein himself in just a little, he could be such a jolt of energy and speed to the team.

Reaction Score
While it could certainly happen, at this point I don't expect Gilbert to start. I envision him coming off the bench as a spark as a freshman. Starters most likely will be Adams/Purvis/Larrier/Facey/Brimah.
when a coach says they are going to hand the keys to you, that does not equate to being a 'spark off the bench' in coachspeak.

Reaction Score
when a coach says they are going to hand the keys to you, that does not equate to being a 'spark off the bench' in coachspeak.
If Gilbert starts, then Purvis is at the three, Larrier the four, and Brimah the 5. That's a fast and athletic lineup. Who comes in for Gilbert and/or Adams in that scenario?

Reaction Score
It's pretty safe to say Gilbert will either start or see starters minutes. I expect Adams and Alterique to be on thr floor together as much as possible.

Reaction Score
If Gilbert starts, then Purvis is at the three, Larrier the four, and Brimah the 5. That's a fast and athletic lineup. Who comes in for Gilbert and/or Adams in that scenario?
It would be an early sub for either AG or Adams for facey so the line up would turn big*, sliding larrier up to the wing. then you could go back to maybe a short sting for vital at the 2 and gilbert while adams gets rest; either way KO will rely heavily on the AG/adams combo in the backcourt, especially closing games. Purvis will thrive playing with those two guards, and whether larrier can really bang as a stretch 4 remains to be seen... big questions for the 4.

Reaction Score

It can sort of be both, no? Bazz sort of got the keys in '11, even though he didn't start and everybody knew it was Kemba's team. But he was the one usually running the point in high leverage spots w/ Kemba and Lamb working off screens.

Reaction Score
It would be an early sub for either AG or Adams for facey so the line up would turn big*, sliding larrier up to the wing. then you could go back to maybe a short sting for vital at the 2 and gilbert while adams gets rest; either way KO will rely heavily on the AG/adams combo in the backcourt, especially closing games. Purvis will thrive playing with those two guards, and whether larrier can really bang as a stretch 4 remains to be seen... big questions for the 4.
Agree, having 2 top notch ballahandlers who can get in the lane is key for the team and especially key for Rodney getting open looks. Facey and Brimah have never shown enough offense for both of them to be on the floor at the same time except for a few spot minutes.

Reaction Score
If Larrier can rebound, I'm all for Gilbert starting. But if he can't then I think Facey has to start.

Reaction Score
If Larrier can rebound, I'm all for Gilbert starting. But if he can't then I think Facey has to start.
it doesn't just come down to rebounding, its more about matching the physicality of opposing forwards on defense and being able to turn into an effective screener.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Honestly it might make more sense to start Durham.
If he's clear and away the best, then he should start. Donyell started from the get go, IIRC. But there also could be something said for taking it slow with Juwan, but that is obviously up to KO as JD has been fully cleared. It will be interesting to see how he plays from the start....hesitant or not.

Reaction Score

I think we'll see a ton of AG/Adams in the backcourt together too, but I'm not sold on AG starting. Minutes matter more than starts anyway. It will all depend on a feel for how they play. Our frontcourt is unproven, but deep. We've got bodies we can throw in the paint Brimah, Facey, Larrier, Jackson, Enoch, Durham, Diarra...In terms of true ball handlers, we've only got two. I know Purvis can't play the point, I don't know enough about Vital.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
then you could go back to maybe a short sting for vital at the 2 and gilbert while adams gets

Does anyone have a clue if this kid can even contribute this year? Serious question. I've no idea myself.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a clue if this kid can even contribute this year? Serious question. I've no idea myself.

I don't see Vital having too big of an impact as a freshman. He's a great shooter from deep and a scrappy defender but he's gonna really have to fight for minutes with Purvis, Adams, and Gilbert in front of him. I can see Vital giving us 10-12 minutes a night if he can find his shot and play tough D.

Reaction Score
I don't see Vital having too big of an impact as a freshman. He's a great shooter from deep and a scrappy defender but he's gonna really have to fight for minutes with Purvis, Adams, and Gilbert in front of him. I can see Vital giving us 10-12 minutes a night if he can find his shot and play tough D.
An able 4th guard is a necessity for us.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, in basketball lots of depth is often overrated. Sometimes it can create chemistry problems or too much substitution. In theory, nice problem to have since it's a long season with injuries and fouls. But, give me 3 stars, 3 pretty good players and 2-3,role players.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, in basketball lots of depth is often overrated. Sometimes it can create chemistry problems or too much substitution. In theory, nice problem to have since it's a long season with injuries and fouls. But, give me 3 stars, 3 pretty good players and 2-3,role players.
I know lets have two five man teams - shirts and skins maybe!
Coach Cal

Reaction Score
So you're looking for 8-9 players for the rotation? Groundbreaking stuff Chief.

C

Chief00

So you're looking for 8-9 players for the rotation? Groundbreaking stuff Chief.

Not everything in life is groundbreaking. Tougher question is who will they be?

Scary OOC schedule early - when we will be most vulnerable.
Tough to do but one of goals of schedule maker should be two OOC games after January 1st. Given our relatively weak conference.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 is actually not wrong for college basketball, the nba is different you need a deep rotation. I can't recall a thibs-esque coach (getting flack for overplaying players) in ncaab for good reason, they play way less and are younger. Ollie is not a master of rotations he doesn't necessarily stagger well but he does know what his truly effective lineups are in clutch time.

Reaction Score
@Chief00 is actually not wrong for college basketball, the nba is different you need a deep rotation. I can't recall a thibs-esque coach (getting flack for overplaying players) in ncaab for good reason, they play way less and are younger. Ollie is not a master of rotations he doesn't necessarily stagger well but he does know what his truly effective lineups are in clutch time.

Duke won the title with seven players two years ago and Cuse just went to the final four with six guys, so you're right. It's not ideal but it can be overcome.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

No joke, that's one of the first rational posts, basically in its entirety, that I've seen from you, and I fear that I think I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom