know its late on East Coass - but here's whot is our future......... | The Boneyard

know its late on East Coass - but here's whot is our future.........

Reaction Score
Had the previledge of seeing Miles and BB Kingat the Beacon (70th and Broadway maybe?). Miles was ON that night. What a memory.

And here is pure heaven

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Always feel like I should like Miles Davis. I don't. I'm not sure why.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Playing while I read your post:

Miles.JPG

I saw him live in Antwerp, Belgium from the front row of a small concert hall during my semester abroad in the late 80s. I didn't know anything about him at the time other than that he was someone I should know because he was considered one of the greats. I was totally transfixed. He played with his back to the audience for most of the time, occasionally turning sideways enough that we could read his name written on the side of his hot pink trumpet. I didn't know what I was witnessing but I knew it was greatness.

When I got back to the town where I was studying I went to the local record store and told the owner I had just seen Miles and I asked the owner to recommend something old and something newer from him. He chuckled and pointed me to two stacks filled with his albums to give me a sense of the sheer volume of his output. Then he gave me Kind of Blue for the older album and Tutu for the newer one. The latter was perfect because it contained a lot of the material we had seen him play, including great covers of "Time after Time," "Human Nature" and "Perfect Way," which were contemporary songs I knew. The former is probably the album I have listened to more than any other in my entire life. It changed my way of thinking about music and helped me make different connections to music I already loved from Jerry Garcia and Duane Allman, among others, because they shared a modal approach that appealed to me on many levels and still does.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It's the notes they don't play.
I thought is was because there were too many notes....

I had this conversation with a buddy of mine and he gave me Sketches of Spain and told me listen to it and I'd totally get it.

Still don't. I'd say tempo but there is plenty of slower stuff that I love.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought is was because there were too many notes....

I had this conversation with a buddy of mine and he gave me Sketches of Spain and told me listen to it and I'd totally get it.

Still don't. I'd say tempo but there is plenty of slower stuff that I love.

That's not a good one to start with. Try Kind of Blue and go from there.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That's not a good one to start with. Try Kind of Blue and go from there.

Yep. That's what I'd recommend too. And then In a Silent Way.

I also love his funky stuff from the late 60s through mid-70s. Brew is unbelievable.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I also love his funky stuff from the late 60s through mid-70s. Brew is unbelievable.
I tend to listen to him most when I want instrumental music that can be either background or center, e.g. while working or during dinner, so I don't listen to as much of his fusion stuff but I love it all.

Somewhat related--literally--I never knew of his ex-wife Betty Davis (no, not that one) until maybe five years ago or so when I was eating at the bar at No. 9 Park in Boston and I heard a funky female cover of "Born on the Bayou." I asked the bartender who it was and he checked and told me the name, and I was sure either he or I had heard it wrong. Sure enough, he was right. I now own a couple albums of hers:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I tend to listen to him most when I want instrumental music that can be either background or center, e.g. while working or during dinner, so I don't listen to as much of his fusion stuff but I love it all.

Somewhat related--literally--I never knew of his ex-wife Betty Davis (no, not that one) until maybe five years ago or so when I was eating at the bar at No. 9 Park in Boston and I heard a funky female cover of "Born on the Bayou." I asked the bartender who it was and he checked and told me the name, and I was sure either he or I had heard it wrong. Sure enough, he was right. I now own a couple albums of hers:

I was really into the jazz-rock stuff (which I guess technically started with IASW) in my 20s. There's no doubt in my mind that he and Hendrix would have done a project together if not for Jimi's death. One of those great What Ifs. You can see Miles moving in Hendrix's direction and Hendrix moving in Miles' direction with Band of Gypsys.

As for Betty, I've got a couple tracks from her (Anti Love Song and This Is It). I guess you're saying it's worth checking out more of her stuff.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was really into the jazz-rock stuff (which I guess technically started with IASW) in my 20s. There's no doubt in my mind that he and Hendrix would have done a project together if not for Jimi's death. One of those great What Ifs. You can see Miles moving in Hendrix's direction and Hendrix moving in Miles' direction with Band of Gypsys.

As for Betty, I've got a couple tracks from her (Anti Love Song and This Is It). I guess you're saying it's worth checking out more of her stuff.
The possibilities with Hendrix and Miles collaborating are mind-boggling to ponder.

I have Betty's eponymous debut and her Columbia years compilation. Very pioneering funk for a woman at that time.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Kind of Blue is easily one of my ten albums.
Jazz - rock? Like Cannonball Adderly? Awesome

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

After "Kind of Blue" and before "In a Silent Way," there's his second classic quintet, with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and Ron Carter, all acoustic. "Miles Smiles" is probably the starting point.

Miles has quite a few very different sounds and periods, @CL82. Find which one(s) you like via, say, Spotify. You will find throughout that his use of space more so than his virtuosic command of notes is they key. Early on, he recognized that there were better, faster, flashier trumpet players, so he needed to find a different way. And he kept looking for different ways throughout his career. The "Birth of the Cool" documentary tells his story well.

Attached here is " Brew" played at Tanglewood, my second concert ever, age 16. Tbh, I went for the headliner, Santana, only knowing that Miles was famous.

To look at this video and see, IIRC from past viewing, Keith Jarrett, Chuck Corea, Gary Bartz, Dave Holland, John McLaughlin, Airto?, Alphonse Mouzon?, years before awakening to every single one of them in my 20s, is mind blowing. They were so young.

(The Santana is abailable YouTube as well)

Reaction Score

Something about his tone just doesn't sit right with me. I know there is lots of talent there, but it just doesn't hit me right.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Something about his tone just doesn't sit right with me. I know there is lots of talent there, but it just doesn't hit me right.
Not uncommon.

Similarly, there are people who decry Thelonious Monk for playing 'wrong' notes, don't think much of Ornette Coleman as an alto saxophonist, or find Neil Young's (or Willie Nelson's) guitar playing simplistic/boring/repetitive.

Reaction Score
Three very accessible tunes from the Live Around The World cd. Mr. Pastorius (for Jaco), Time After Time, and a killer version of Hannibal, with an amazing make you move bass line and rhythm. I'm always turning this up.

Serious trumpet.

Reaction Score
THIS is why I like this board...stuff like this. I saw this last night and you tube'd up Miles Davis jazz rock and also Thelonius Monk....and that was my afternoon grilling music. This may be way off for this thread, but lately have been listening to Keb Mo and Taj Mahal.....good stuff...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom