Knee Replacement Surgury | The Boneyard

Knee Replacement Surgury

Reaction Score
Am going into Hart. Hosp Mar 10 for a left knee.
Anyone had knee replacement?
What is recovery tiime? Pain etc.?

Reaction Score
Been discussed on here before. These might help.

Good luck with the surgery.

Reaction Score

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Am going into Hart. Hosp Mar 10 for a left knee.
Anyone had knee replacement?
What is recovery tiime? Pain etc.?
Had it done in 2016 at St Francis
I was to stay from Friday to Monday but I got up Friday afternoon and hobbled into the bathroom to do my business - the nurses were amazed and after bitching me out my doctor called me and asked me why and how did I feel. I told him it was cool and that I wanted to try the crutches right away - He told me I couldnt go home until I could climb up and down ten stair steps. I called my daughter who came to the hospital, we asked if she could take me around the corridors - I went to the rehab room with the steps and with a nurses help I got up and down - I went home the following morning
It was cumbersome the first 5-8 days but if you keep practicing with crutches and without - I did it continuously and never committed myself to the bed - always sat up in a chair and in my study and in the rec room 0 doing my exercises - March Madness was on so it was a good time.
I had an inhouse rehab person come 3 days a week and we worked hard
I was in sports rehab in 3 weeks of the operation and driving in 4 (It was my left knee)
My doctor was fairly amazed being I was 59 at the time but was always very active.
It all depends on how you approach it - if you don't have a large threshold for pain it will take you a long time

The only parts I did not like was pre operation prep when they dug into the area and my back with a needle - talk about pain - and post operation when I found it difficult to swallow because of the tube they stuck down my throat - thought I was chocking at times

The knee is great - there is some pain at times but the whole leg is screwed up from years of soccer and being a catcher in baseball plus I had a compound fracture of the same leg in 1991.

Best of luck - the recovery time depends on how hard you want to work at it and what your tolerance for pain is. I never took the pain killer only extra strength advil.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Magic marker your right knee something to the effect "Please replace my OTHER left knee"
Protocol is that the surgeon verifies and initials the operative site in the holding area before the case, and this is verified with the entire operative team in the OR before the incision.

Reaction Score
Please keep us posted with your progress. I need my left one replaced -but my ortho has told me to hold off as long as I can. Definitely following that advise. Good luck.

Reaction Score
It will be very tough till week 6 and then things will get better. Just be steady in your rehab and follow orders. It is all about the range of motion. Good luck.

Reaction Score
A lot depends on whether you’re having partial or a full replacement. I had a partial five years ago. It went really well, I was off pain meds and five days. Make sure you stay hydrated and use stool softeners… You’ll get backed up pretty bad. That was the worst part for me. As previously noted, the diligent with your rehab, particularly range of motion. I was backing golf In two months. If it’s a full replacement, the pain is worse in the rehab much longer. Even though you don’t have much time until surgery, try to strengthen your legs

Reaction Score
I got the 2-for deal, bilateral TKA as it's known. Dr. Paul Murray was my surgeon, at Hartford -- great guy and an excellent surgeon. Two months, but I really took the PT seriously. Best advice is to take your pain meds by the clock. You'll be fine. Great forum for joint replacement patients is bonesmart.org.

Reaction Score
Been discussed on here before. These might help.

Good luck with the surgery.

Thanks for the link HS. Very informative.

Reaction Score
What are the symptoms to worry? I had hip replace, but developed a weak knee in afternath. Knee felt like it 'gave out' going up stairs. PT and surgeon say it's the quad muscle / ligaments / tendons around knee, and I should strengthen the quad. But after many months of walking / lifting weights, begining to wonder.

Reaction Score
I’m hearing info about hospitals in CT suspending elective surgeries. I believe Greenwich announced yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom