Knee replacement surgery | The Boneyard

Knee replacement surgery

Reaction Score
I'm going to have a total knee replacement on Sept. 11, and for anyone who has had one done, how long should I take off from work before returning? My job is mostly desk, nothing physical, and I plan to combine full time off, then work from home, before going to office. Right now, we are all working from home anyway, and perhaps in September this will still be the case. I figure if I'm working from home anyway, it seems as good a time as any to get this done..
I'm getting the knee done because 27 years ago, at age 36 (yes, I'm 63), I had a ACL repair, and over last 15 months the knee is getting tighter and tighter, can't bend it much past 90, and there is some occasional pain. The doctor said the way the original ACL replacement was positioned is what is limiting my range of motion, and arthritis is making it worse. I only need the one knee done, my other one is fine. I'm not overweight and don't have any other complicating health conditions. The replacement knee is a custom fit one (Conformis). On Friday, I have the cat scan from which they derive measurements used to make it.
I have plenty of sick and vacation time, and my initial thoughts are to take 3 weeks off, then work from home next 2 weeks, and then return to work.
Is this reasonable or too soon? Should I take off more time? Everyone is different, but how was your experience? Thanks

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not to stop this thread, but there a couple recent knee replacement threads to get you going.
Here
and Here

Reaction Score
Wife did 1 in Oct, very quick recovery. Granted she’s not running, biking or even playing golf. But she was walker free by day 10, driving after 3 weeks. Make sure to get an ice machine similar to this, eases the pain and swelling.

we rotated frozen water bottles, in lieu of ice

And follow the med schedule, she likes chasing the pain. Bad strategy.

Reaction Score
Just an extra note... a guy I worked with had his done around 2 years ago, and he was back at work in a few weeks. He had a procedure where a 3-D model of his knee was made, which according to him, greatly reduced any potential issues. My brother-in-law had both of his done (separately) using the generic parts method (5-10 years ago), and he occasionally has problems with one of them.

Reaction Score
I am currently nursing my mom from serious complications from a knee replacement. She is diabetic however and she had other issues as well which did not make her a good candidate. She however could not deal with the pain any longer and took the risk. She was bone on bone and her patella would dislocate. All the best to you. I did not post this to in any way scare you just found it coincidental with what I'm dealing with.

Reaction Score
Had total knée 3/10 . It wasn't easy pain, rehab but glad I got it done. I'm 83 and will be pain free for the rest of my life.
Golf, yard work walking the dog going to UCONN BB all a piece of cake.
Hartford Health Care and Hartford Hospital first class way to go.

Reaction Score
I'm going to have a total knee replacement on Sept. 11, and for anyone who has had one done, how long should I take off from work before returning? My job is mostly desk, nothing physical, and I plan to combine full time off, then work from home, before going to office. Right now, we are all working from home anyway, and perhaps in September this will still be the case. I figure if I'm working from home anyway, it seems as good a time as any to get this done..
I'm getting the knee done because 27 years ago, at age 36 (yes, I'm 63), I had a ACL repair, and over last 15 months the knee is getting tighter and tighter, can't bend it much past 90, and there is some occasional pain. The doctor said the way the original ACL replacement was positioned is what is limiting my range of motion, and arthritis is making it worse. I only need the one knee done, my other one is fine. I'm not overweight and don't have any other complicating health conditions. The replacement knee is a custom fit one (Conformis). On Friday, I have the cat scan from which they derive measurements used to make it.
I have plenty of sick and vacation time, and my initial thoughts are to take 3 weeks off, then work from home next 2 weeks, and then return to work.
Is this reasonable or too soon? Should I take off more time? Everyone is different, but how was your experience? Thanks
Just make sure you do all the rehab and you should be fine.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Had my left done knee done by the VA. Screwed it up. Yes I didn't pay a dime but it would have been great if it came out okay. then I could appreciate it. When I went back to work 4 weeks later, my boss let me take a chair to rest my leg on. Stopped my Golf game for months. Yes I could walk straight. However, aches and pain never really went away. Good luck on yours. I just had bad luck.

Reaction Score
I did both of mine at the same time 8 years ago. It was a total life changer, wish I had done it 5 years earlier. I don’t even think about my knees anymore. I never thought I’d say that.

I took 2 months off because I had short term disability that paid me after the first 3 weeks off. I think the 2 months was a good time frame. I’m sure the procedure has gotten easier since then. The custom fit knee wasn’t available when I did it.

Reaction Score
This will be a custom fit knee (brand is Conformis), based on the cat scan view, which from what I understand takes "slices" of the knee to map its exact contours and measurements, and then the knee implant is built based on these measurements. When surgery is done & I'm back home, which the doctor says 70% of patients go home the same day, I'm wondering how well I'll sleep at night, since there will be a continuous passive motion machine that slowly bends the knee back & forth all night; hopefully, they will give me sleep meds. Lots of meds for pain and also constipation which is side effect of pain meds.
I don't have short-term disability right now, but maybe I can look into it.

Reaction Score
I didn't have that passive motion machine either. I did both knees at once so I was actually in the hospital for 3 day and spent 5 at a rehab place before they'd let me go home. I had no way to do stairs so going home wasn't much of an option. It seems like it's gotten much easier in just a few years though.

They did give me pain meds and took care of the other issue you noted.

Reaction Score
This will be a custom fit knee (brand is Conformis), based on the cat scan view, which from what I understand takes "slices" of the knee to map its exact contours and measurements, and then the knee implant is built based on these measurements. When surgery is done & I'm back home, which the doctor says 70% of patients go home the same day, I'm wondering how well I'll sleep at night, since there will be a continuous passive motion machine that slowly bends the knee back & forth all night; hopefully, they will give me sleep meds. Lots of meds for pain and also constipation which is side effect of pain meds.
I don't have short-term disability right now, but maybe I can look into it.
I had an accident so not the same, but I had a CPM machine for 2 months. You'll prob only have it for a week or 2. You'll be in some discomfort and won't sleep great, but with the meds you'll nod out for a few hours at a clip..At least I did.

As mentioned above DO THE REHAB and get the ice machine And don't cheat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom