KML Question | The Boneyard

KML Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love this girl. But why can't KML get on the scoreboard? Not enough minutes? Is she hurt? Just asking.....Because I have no clue why such a talented offensive weapon ISN'T contributing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love this girl. But why can't KML get on the scoreboard? Not enough minutes? Is she hurt? Just asking.....Because I have no clue why such a talented offensive weapon ISN'T contributing.
conditioning, her frame, left her mechanics in Storrs with KLS, homesick, its too hot in Seattle (use to the chilly Connecticut breeze)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sure we will read something about it eventually. But remember how much other players have struggles their first years. But players in the pros are bigger, stronger, and fitter than people in college. The best example I can come up with is Courtney Paris. She really struggled at the beginning even tho she was almost NPOY in college. The reason? Her weight and fitness. But she worked hard on her body, strength, and conditioning and now she's contributing on a regular basis.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
i think the coach has to be the right fit. Paris looks bigger now than when she entered the league. i think her coach just learned how to use her correctly. and knew what to expect out of her.

sometimes with a player u get the good and the bad. paris is slow and someone like tina charles will out quick her tonight, but paris will still get physical and rebound. KML needs a coach who can either mask her defensive liabilities and capitalize on her shooting. seatlle coach obviously doesn't seem to think thats important at the moment.

Reaction Score
I'm sure offensively KML could contribute. I would assume her problem is on defense. What 3 is she going to stop in the pros? Maya? Angel? EDD? Bonner? I am rooting for KML just as much as anyone, but guarding someone in the post(Paris reference) and guarding someone on the perimeter(KML) are very different.

Reaction Score
Defense and conditioning could be part of the problem overall but as for offensively, I think the problem is the speed of the game and the athleticism of the defense. In college she never had to create her own shot and at the pro level if you can't do that, you're dead. With someone in her face constantly, she's not quick enough coming off screens or putting the ball on the floor to create space and she's certainly not going over anybody.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I believe so many UConn players (that a non-UConn fan would not expect) are in the W is that they come in with great athletic skill sets, excellent coachability and teamwork, and a great understanding of the game, much due to Geno's development.

Which suggests that I won't vote against KML, but TJI is certainly correct, and as others have suggested, playing in the W is a world different from playing in college. As I've said before, most teams in college have one or at most 2 legit outstanding players (part of the reason UConn dominates is the strength at every position), whereas there are no weak spots on WNBA teams. Look at the breakdown of players in the W, what schools they have played for, what that says about other schools that are not represented, etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think coaching and system are essential for some players to succeed - a Griner or a Moore will succeed anywhere, not so for many others. Seattle is a struggling team at the moment and as such is likely not in a position to mask any flaws in individual players or the team as a whole - not an ideal situation for a player that has some flaws in their game.

Interesting to note that Loyd is not exactly burning it up for Seattle either - she is shooting 28% overall and 0-12 from three and she is scoring at 0.29 points per minute with .14 rebounds per minute, 0.06 assist, and 0.03 steals per minute. She is playing 22 minutes per game so the coaches like something, but ...

KML is getting 6 minutes a game and shooting 36% - 38% from three.

For a team next to last in scoring I might be tempted as a coach to give KML a little more run and see what happened. It is hard to get anything started when you are averaging 1.5 minutes per quarter.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Seattle coaching staff knows how to utilize Kaleena.
When she showed up at Seattle, one of the trainers immediately tried to change her shot; speed up her release.
Let me get this straight: Something is wrong with the form of the most prolific 3 point shooter in NCAA history. Just what the hell have they been smoking?

They should be working on setting screens for her.

There's nothing wrong with Kaleena except the team she's on

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It's early - as mentioned above and by many before, the speed of the game is really at the next level in the W. Those whose games are built on elite athleticism and/or a size advantage at their natural position can adapt more quickly. KML, while in good condition and able to play nearly 40 mins at the college level, will probably need a little more time to get into the swing of things.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

As many other bloggers have also surmised, Kaleen's inability to get off the bench may be due to several factors....

1. Her ability to defend others at this level is not acceptable at this time. She's yet to prove in practice that she can keep her man in front of her. This must happen BEFORE the coach feels confident enough to put her in a game that has not been decided.

2. The coaching staff is unsure how to best utilize her skill set at this time, an enigma.

3. The coaching staff feels: she's too slow at this time. She can't create her own shot, she can't going around anyone. The coaches may want her to lose X number of pounds (thereby become quicker) before they feel comfortable putting her on the floor.

4. A new first year coach (and staff) for the team this year. She obviously feels the need and obligation to impress the owners and front office. The best way to do that is with wins; lots of them.

If she feels Kaleena can't help her do that right now, then she sits. Riding the bench can either dampen or strengthen her resolve. In the coming days and weeks, we'll find out which.

I'm guessing that if she doesn't get off the bench within a game or two after the all-star break, we may not see her at all this season (barring injury). I'm hoping this IS NOT the case.

Unfortunately, when the Sonic's coach looks down the bench during a game for substitutes to go in, Kaleena for the most part is invisible.

I'm guessing the Sonic Organization knew all about her upside and her downside BEFORE they drafted her. You don't draft a prospect in the 1st round without doing your due diligence first, and being absolutely sure she can help your team immediately upon arrival.

They had to feel they could benefit from her skillset at some point. Let's wait until the end of the season before we formulate a final judgment on KML and the Sonics.

We're only 8 games into the season. There may be other reasons that have not been made public why she's not playing. Let's wait and see.

BTW.......For what it's worth, Id love to see her starting and putting up a double double every night. :)

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I try not to judge players off of their first WNBA season, especially as it starts so soon after the college season. I'm not worried about any of the rookies yet. If she's still not getting minutes this time next year, then it may be time to worry.

Reaction Score
I do think it's hard to judge the first season. The games that I watched she struggled on defense and also needs to adjust to the speed of the game.

Reaction Score
Many here have offered the opinion that KML and the Seattle coaching staff are not a good fit.

More to the point, the argument seems to be that the coaching staff doesn't use her because they've focused in on her physical liabilities rather than finding ways to take advantage of her offensive assets.

Which begs the question...why did the Seattle organization draft her if KML doesn't fit the type of player they want on the court?

Reaction Score
Many here have offered the opinion that KML and the Seattle coaching staff are not a good fit.

More to the point, the argument seems to be that the coaching staff doesn't use her because they've focused in on her physical liabilities rather than finding ways to take advantage of her offensive assets.

Which begs the question...why did the Seattle organization draft her if KML doesn't fit the type of player they want on the court?
Because it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to draft a player who puts one in the mind of Stephen Curry who comes from a program as successful as UConn.
If, as suggested, Ms Mosqueda-Lewis has trouble guarding out on the perimeter, why not give her an opportunity to defend inside? Not that I believe the experiment will be successful right away. four years ago VAMike23, MilfordHusky, and I saw Maya get owned inside at the Verizon Center; Totally overpowered; Maya! Seattle is compelled to find a way to utilize the talents of their third pick. KML has been a top player for too many years totally stumble at the professional level. I never paid attention to the quickness of her release. Maybe it is too slow for the pro game and has to be improved upon.

I am in total agreement with those who suggest patience. Kobe Bryant in his rookie year played 15 minutes a game and averaged under double figures.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Because it would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to draft a player who puts one in the mind of Stephen Curry who comes from a program as successful as UConn.
If, as suggested, Ms Mosqueda-Lewis has trouble guarding out on the perimeter, why not give her an opportunity to defend inside? Not that I believe the experiment will be successful right away. four years ago VAMike23, MilfordHusky, and I saw Maya get owned inside at the Verizon Center; Totally overpowered; Maya! Seattle is compelled to find a way to utilize the talents of their third pick. KML has been a top player for too many years totally stumble at the professional level. I never paid attention to the quickness of her release. Maybe it is too slow for the pro game and has to be improved upon.

I am in total agreement with those who suggest patience. Kobe Bryant in his rookie year played 15 minutes a game and averaged under double figures.

Ehhhhhh.......... not sure about that one.

Reaction Score
One thing that bothered me a lot during her time at Uconn...As I said to myself a hundred times. (Is why won't she take the opportunity to shed pounds before heading off to the WNBA)

Couldn't understand it for nothing in the world. Especially when one knows (Including Herself) she has a problem keeping players in front of her etc.

Nevertheless, I hope & pray she figures it out. I really want to See her progress and succeed in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I do think coaching and system are essential for some players to succeed - a Griner or a Moore will succeed anywhere, not so for many others. Seattle is a struggling team at the moment and as such is likely not in a position to mask any flaws in individual players or the team as a whole - not an ideal situation for a player that has some flaws in their game.

Interesting to note that Loyd is not exactly burning it up for Seattle either - she is shooting 28% overall and 0-12 from three and she is scoring at 0.29 points per minute with .14 rebounds per minute, 0.06 assist, and 0.03 steals per minute. She is playing 22 minutes per game so the coaches like something, but ...

KML is getting 6 minutes a game and shooting 36% - 38% from three.

For a team next to last in scoring I might be tempted as a coach to give KML a little more run and see what happened. It is hard to get anything started when you are averaging 1.5 minutes per quarter.

So true indeed...So true indeed. That's another factor pissing me off. I wish they would give her more minutes, set screens...something.

Reaction Score
Comparing her to Curry is foolish. She's a great shooter when open but ONLY when open. She couldn't create shots against weak teams in college. Pros will rarely leave her open. Curry on the other hand creates his own shot 90% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom