KML is "channeling" Kelly Faris | The Boneyard

KML is "channeling" Kelly Faris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris should get a big "Thank you" phone call from Sherri Coale for helping Team USA beat Australia at the WUG's yesterday.

All UConn fans know how much respect Kalena has had for Kelly over the past two years -- and how strong Kalena's commitment has been to "play like Kelly" for the rest of her Uconn (and beyond) career.

Kaleena had a bad shooting night last night so she took very few shots in the 2nd half of the game.
BUT, she did everything else one could hope for to keep her USA team in the game, and ultimately win it. I just hope that Kelly was watching because Kalena was every where on the court -- getting rebounds and blocks and steals and assists and deflections and defensive stops. KML was a whirling dervish on a mission of destruction. She dominated the game in amazing ways -- imposing her will on Australia, and inspiring her American teammates.

All through the game I was saying to myself: "Yikes. If KML is going to play like this for the next two years at UCOnn, the Huskies are going to be very, very hard to beat. Kalena was an intense warrior in the Kelly Faris mode. My prediction is that KML will be the National Player of the Year both this year and next..

YAHOO -- and thanks for the inspiration, Kelly! Your spirit and values will carry on at UConn.

Reaction Score
Sweet!! Thank you, Kelly indeed. I DVRed the game so I will be looking forward to watching KML covering the floor like Kelly Faris. This is a good thing for our beloved huskies. Because if KML is willing to expand her game this much, we are going to be hard to beat. This is huge.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great post and very good observations. KML really impressed me last year with her defense - so much stronger than her freshman year, but I think the Aussie game was definitely a further step up along the road.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
KML, Stewie, Bria and Stef..........4 AA on 1 team.............No contest!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Speaking of whom, Kelly had her best game in her brief WNBA career earlier this evening against San Antonio. Ten minutes, 3 rebounds including 2 offensive with 1 putback for her only 2 points, 2 assists, no turnovers, and some effective defense on the Silver Stars' depleted team. San Antonio is missing Becky Hammon and Sophia Young because of ACL's, so they are not much more potent than the Sun (if at all). Even so, Kelly seemed more confident and in command today than in any previous WNBA game. But it is apparent that the athletes she is guarding at this level are quicker and more elusive than what she faced in college, and it is a problem for her.

I think she will figure it out.

Reaction Score
Hello guys.......you know what?....I never post on here but am a huge uconn men and women fan. Love and follow them both equally. To be blunt I do read the posts and honestly I think Stewie is an unbelievable player, but since kaleena has been at uconn, there hasn't been a question in my mind that while at uconn......she will be the best player on the team. Stewie makes it hard to say that, but I just have a feeling that kaleena has a certain fire about her. Kaleena is very business like out there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hello guys.......you know what?....I never post on here but am a huge uconn men and women fan. Love and follow them both equally. To be blunt I do read the posts and honestly I think Stewie is an unbelievable player, but since kaleena has been at uconn, there hasn't been a question in my mind that while at uconn......she will be the best player on the team. Stewie makes it hard to say that, but I just have a feeling that kaleena has a certain fire about her. Kaleena is very business like out there.
You should post more often! I agree that we all tend to get excited by the new 'toys' and forget the great ones we already have. And I agree that KML may be challenged on the statistical front by Stewie over the next two years, but her value to the team will not be bettered. We are incredibly lucky to have a team with so many worthy heroes - If we praise any one of them, we run the risk of slighting another unintentionally. With Stef, Bria, KML, Stewie, Morgan, MoJeff, BB, Kiah, returning it will be a pleasure to watch them all. Throw in our super Frosh and it really seems like an eternity before the season begins.

Reaction Score
I said as much about Kaleena in an earlier post; however, someone doubted the veracity of what I said. It's nice to see that others have observed what I've observed. You could see Kaleena's determination this year. She knew when she didn't play well, and she took it upon herself to improve, which she did and the team did. As much as Breanna meant in the tournament, it was KML, Kelly and Stef who led the way there. Now with everyone healthy and super frosh Saniya Chong on the way, I'm interested to see just how incredible the Huskies will be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris should get a big "Thank you" phone call from Sherri Coale for helping Team USA beat Australia at the WUG's yesterday.

All UConn fans know how much respect Kalena has had for Kelly over the past two years -- and how strong Kalena's commitment has been to "play like Kelly" for the rest of her Uconn (and beyond) career.

Kaleena had a bad shooting night last night so she took very few shots in the 2nd half of the game.
BUT, she did everything else one could hope for to keep her USA team in the game, and ultimately win it. I just hope that Kelly was watching because Kalena was every where on the court -- getting rebounds and blocks and steals and assists and deflections and defensive stops. KML was a whirling dervish on a mission of destruction. She dominated the game in amazing ways -- imposing her will on Australia, and inspiring her American teammates.

All through the game I was saying to myself: "Yikes. If KML is going to play like this for the next two years at UCOnn, the Huskies are going to be very, very hard to beat. Kalena was an intense warrior in the Kelly Faris mode. My prediction is that KML will be the National Player of the Year both this year and next..

YAHOO -- and thanks for the inspiration, Kelly! Your spirit and values will carry on at UConn.
Nice post, OC. I saw all 6 tourney games in person. I thought Maya Moore had come back to play wearing her old jersey. Kaleena's play was Maya-like, that is, she was the hardest worker out there wreaking havoc in multiple ways.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have long been an admirer of Kaleena and I remain steadfast in my evaluation of her: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is surely the best player of Mexican heritage in wcbb.

I believe that to be a safe and uncontestible superlative so I'll stick with it.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
I have long been an admirer of Kaleena and I remain steadfast in my evaluation of her: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is surely the best player of Mexican heritage in wcbb.

I believe that to be a safe and uncontestible superlative so I'll stick with it.

While on the subject, Kib, Let's remember we already had the best player of Argentine heritage in wcbb. I don't quite recall her somewhat obscure name. :rolleyes:

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
There is an interesting similarity here between Maya and Kalena. As freshmen, both had the hustle gene; but they did not know where to hustle to. Geno has generated many laughs talking about Maya "always moving on the court; but not knowing where (for maximum effectiveness) she was supposed to be going."

By her Junior year, Maya learned to be efficient. I saw the same process on display by KML in the Australia game 2 days ago. She was both effective and efficient in all of her movement -- with the progress especially evident on defense.

The bottom line is that it takes two years to learn what Kelly knows ---- even if you are as smart at basketball as Maya and KML.

It's going to be a fun year to be a Husky fan.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
KML and Team USA face their toughest game in Russia today against an undefeated Russian squad. Game is at 1:30 on ESPNU.

This one is not going to be pretty. Russia is big and physical. They have one girl with 17 blocks vs USA leader with 3. Kaleena has led USA in rebounds despite being only the sixth tallest player on the team. Her 37 rebounds are 11 more than the next player. Her 117 minutes played are second to Bria Hartley at 122. Her 63 points is just behind Sims at 66. She is shooting 51% (25-49) overall. She also has 8 steals, 8 assists and 1 block vs only 6 turnovers. It is easy to expect KML to perform like this and not be impressed, but she has been carrying this team (along with Sims and Bria). Go USA..!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit a follow-up about Kaleena's rebounding.

First, I believe she snagged eleven vs. Australia, which was a most prodigious achievement against taller and very athletic players.

Second, when a commentator states that she "ripped down the rebound," there is no exaggeration. She goes after that ball like a starving hound dog would fight for a steak.

And with apologies to Marty Robbins:

"From high in the bleachers of Gampel arena,
I fell in love with this Mexican girl.
She wore 23 and her name was Kaleena,
Trey after trey then away she would whirl."

I invite someone more creative to add another verse. Or two.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A number of us in a previous thread were struck by KML's fierceness in that game. I do not know what has created it, but I have been waiting for it and: It bodes way bad for the other side, whomever they are. I think she has crossed over into the space that some of our greats get to. It's the UConn space where selflessness just elevates the talent to a whole new place.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Great post and very good observations. KML really impressed me last year with her defense - so much stronger than her freshman year, but I think the Aussie game was definitely a further step up along the road.

It is a further step....unfortunately it is a bad step. The international game is an unfortunate mistake, perpetrated by the same people who announce that women's softball is out of the games. It is a strangely misogynistic phenomenon in women's athletics . If my point is not clear enough ... just banging it is not enough. USA women play basketball the way it should be. The rest, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom