KML has a concussion | The Boneyard

KML has a concussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sheesh....I made the mistake of reading the comments below the article...knuckleheads complaining why KML was on the floor so late in a blowout.
I would answer them - check out who was on the floor at the time - all freshman and sophmores - Geno is checking out the performance of his lineup combos. Also, the team is so deep, there aren't any to put out there that someone would complain about.....they are 10 deep, 11 if you count Heather!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have never understood the argument that a player should not be in a game late because they might get injured. It makes no sense to me.

A player can get injured in the 1st 5 minutes or the last 5 minutes of a game, or anywhere in between. A player can be injured in practice or they can be injured during warmups and shoot around. Injuries happen and when they happen is unpredictable.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If a team is approaching the playoffs I like to see a key player sitting at the end of a game that could get a little chippy. At this point in the year players need all the playing time they can get. She could have just as easily been hurt in the first 5 minutes like Sims against Stanford.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If a team is approaching the playoffs I like to see a key player sitting at the end of a game that could get a little chippy. At this point in the year players need all the playing time they can get. She could have just as easily been hurt in the first 5 minutes like Sims against Stanford.

How is Sims doing? Any more info on that hamstring?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Heal quickly Kaleena!

KML_bandaid.jpg

Reaction Score
How is Sims doing? Any more info on that hamstring?

Here is an update as of Friday from the Waco Tribune-Herald:

"Sims has been medically cleared to play, but Mulkey sees no point in rushing her back to the court. Baylor has two more games this month, the latter at Rice on Nov. 27, and Mulkey said she probably won’t use Sims in either contest."

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/180561401.html

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And I think Geno will apply the same logic to Kaleena, and hold her out of the Colgate game. Other players need the minutes more than she does at this point, and she needs to play (if at all possible) against Maryland and Penn State in the first week of December.

If she actually has a concussion as the reports indicate, then it would not be wise to play her in a game only a few days later. She may (and probably should) miss practice for most of the week.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If she is cleared to play, then why would you not play her?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This would be a great opportunity to work Bria back into the starting lineup also, see how that goes. (Swimmingly, I'm sure. She looked great in St. Thomas)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If she is cleared to play, then why would you not play her?
There was a weird thread on this on the Baylor board. Apparently, Mulkey said on a radio station that the trainers told her it wasn't that bad, but she said she saw how Odyssey was acting and wasn't putting her back in. Some read that as being cautious, others saw it as thinking that Odyssey was "acting" injured and decided to punish her. I think she is just being overly cautious, not a bad idea. Hamstring injuries can be nagging and there's no point in reinjuring it in a basically meaningless game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have never understood the argument that a player should not be in a game late because they might get injured. It makes no sense to me.
I think that applies more to Football, especially Quarterbacks, where there are a lot of injuries. Better to be safe than sorry, especially when the game is in hand. (Does not apply to Geno at all.)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We'll have to see what the severity of the concussion is. Tiff had one after crashing into Maya back in 2011 (first minute or so of the Louisville game), and then came back a couple days later and had one of the best games of her college career against UNC. Could be apples and oranges, though.

All I know is love watching that kid play for UConn, and, even though she's only a sophomore, she'll be gone before we know it. So selfishly, I hope she can come back soon.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Did you need all of your players against Alcorn State? Yet they all played.
Tennessee has a younger team than Baylor. Getting everyone some playing time is important. Also getting ready to play four ranked teams in a row. For Baylor Sims is a real good point guard. I think giving her a little rest will help her. Also give Johnson some time to play with starters.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Watching the injury to KML last night. It wasn't just a concussion Rosemary was checking her for but, also, a stinger or some type of tweak to the neck. You will note Rosemary walk her fingers down KML's neck feeling for alignment. If you note how KML's head and neck bent sideways at impact it would not be surprising if she had pinched a nerve, too.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tennessee has a younger team than Baylor. Getting everyone some playing time is important. Also getting ready to play four ranked teams in a row. For Baylor Sims is a real good point guard. I think giving her a little rest will help her. Also give Johnson some time to play with starters.
I was talking about UConn and Lewis. You were talking about Sims and Baylor.

Hamstring vs. Concussion. I would be more inclined to rest the hamstring, even if cleared. A concussion? It atypical to get hit hard in the head in basketball. Recurrence of the injury would be flukey. Once cleared, I would play her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was talking about UConn and Lewis. You were talking about Sims and Baylor.

Hamstring vs. Concussion. I would be more inclined to rest the hamstring, even if cleared. A concussion? It atypical to get hit hard in the head in basketball. Recurrence of the injury would be flukey. Once cleared, I would play her.
Ok yes I agree.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Everything you want to know about concussions. LINK I linked the treatment page. There's more on page 1.

Note this statement about returning to play "Keep the athlete out of play the day of the injury and until a health care professional, experienced in evaluating for concussion, says they are symptom-free and it's OK to return to play. "

All I can say is htat the CDC has a lot of nerve suggesting that return to play be determined by a medical professional instead of message board experts.

Anyone remember the poster child for WCBB concussions - Jamie Carey.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My niece is a college athletic trainer in NH and the protocols used by colleges for concussions is very clear. Contact sports at her school as which basketball is included establish preseason baseline tests against which to test potential in season injuries. They use an online system to test mental facility.

Concussions are a frequent injury in women's basketball.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My niece is a college athletic trainer in NH and the protocols used by colleges for concussions is very clear. Contact sports at her school as which basketball is included establish preseason baseline tests against which to test potential in season injuries. They use an online system to test mental facility.

Concussions are a frequent injury in women's basketball.

What do you consider frequent? I don't think I've seen that many through the years.

Reaction Score
Watching the injury to KML last night. It wasn't just a concussion Rosemary was checking her for but, also, a stinger or some type of tweak to the neck. You will note Rosemary walk her fingers down KML's neck feeling for alignment. If you note how KML's head and neck bent sideways at impact it would not be surprising if she had pinched a nerve, too.
I also noticed she was checking her left hand/finger, no doubt checking for numbness. So a stinger is not enitrely out of the question.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What do you consider frequent? I don't think I've seen that many through the years.
Women's college basketball has a higher rate than any other college sport except soccer.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/24/college-basketball-concussion-rate-higher-than-any-sport/

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.o...hysical-health/female-athlete-and-concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3958650

http://www.momsteam.com/team-of-exp...for-concussions-than-males-hard-to-explain-sa

Penn State has had at least one player down for a minimum of one game each year for as long as
I can remember. UConn has had Tiff and Caroline in the last two years who had minor concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom