KLS's Mom Calls out Sky Management | The Boneyard

KLS's Mom Calls out Sky Management

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow, did we ever hear from her mom at anytime during her tenure in Storrs? I don't remember hearing a "peep" from her. She NEVER did or said anything to suggest she was a helicopter parent. Lou had a forgettable rookie year with the Sky.

This was not her year. :confused: If there's something going on behind the scenes, mom has to know it because calling out the coach (and organization) like this can't be good for Katie Lou going forward.

What are the odds she returns to the Sky next year? Stay tuned.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Would the Sky get a #1 Draft pick, if they traded KLS during next years draft?

Not a good look for Mama Samuelson. Wade is the likely COY and has completely turned around the Sky with virtually the same roster, going from a 13-21 record to a 20-13 record. Stop complaining about your daughters lack of PT when what Wade is doing is working well. Plus, KLS hasn't been productive during the minutes she has received.

KLS being picked at 4 was a major headscratcher IMO and just didn't make a lot of sense with Collier/Brown on the table. They already had Quigley/Deshields on the wing and could've used front court help.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow, did we ever hear from her mom at anytime during her tenure in Storrs? I don't remember hearing a "peep" from her. She NEVER di or said anything to suggest she was a helicopter parent. Lou had a forgettable rookie year with the Sky. This was not her year. :confused: If there's something to know behind the scenes, mom has to know it because calling out the coach (and organization) like this can't be good for Katie Lou.

What are the odds she returns to the Sky next year? Stay tuned.
Surprised by Lou’s mother getting in the middle of this. While Mr Samuelson was a frequent fan at UConn games over the past 4 years, Mrs Samuelson barely made it to any of Lou’s games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Surprised by Lou’s mother getting in the middle of this. While Mr Samuelson was a frequent fan at UConn games over the past 4 years, Mrs Samuelson barely made it to any of Lou’s games.
Mother Jones has always been active on twitter. She already tried to rattle Coach Wade’s cage earlier this year. IMO the solution is KLS just needs to play better. I support Wade on this one

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No player on any level was ever helped by a family member's interference. Katie Lou is an adult and does not need her mommy to lobby for her. It is not fair to Lou, the coach , or the team. I hope her mom reconsiders this stance. Or deletes her online presence entirely.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Got to ignore this thread for my health.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
KLS: "Dear Mom, STFU" Love, Katie Lou." I don't think it helped to have him say Katie Lou's playing time in up to the wishes of another player (yeah, I spun it), a time which may be measured in years - damn dumb statement. I would like to see her out of there, but I've liked his work this year in general.

Sky willing to be patient with Katie Lou Samuelson’s development

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From what I have seen, Wade tries to get her in the 2Q for a block of minutes so she has the opportunity to perform while the game is still ongoing (i.e not garbage time). Lou's offense (and shooting) is not doing her any favors but her defense is the bigger issue.

I hope Lou uses this as a kick in the teeth challenge and gets her game going in Europe and comes back reinvented (no matter where she lands)

Reaction Score
I also think though she has to play more minutes to get into rhythm, I think the more minutes she plays the more comfortable she will get, there are games I literally only see her play maybe 2-3 mins in the 1st or 2nd quarter then nothing after that unless it’s garbage time, what it comes down to is she was drafted by a team that already has a few veterans that play her position, I remember reading on another forum people were wondering why Chicago drafted Lou, when they already had people at that postion, and they didn’t think she would play that much because of it.

Reaction Score
Did she question Geno?? Love KLS but...I watched her play. She deserved the minutes she got

To be fair I watch most Chicago sky games, you can’t expect much from her imo if she isn’t getting consistent minutes to get into game rhythm, imo Her playing time has more to do with like I mentioned before she was drafted by a team who really didn’t need her skill set, considering they already have a few veterans on that team who play ahead of her

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I also think though she has to play more minutes to get into rhythm, I think the more minutes she plays the more comfortable she will get, there are games I literally only see her play maybe 2-3 mins in the 1st or 2nd quarter then nothing after that unless it’s garbage time, what it comes down to is she was drafted by a team that already has a few veterans that play her position, I remember reading on another forum people were wondering why Chicago drafted Lou, when they already had people at that postion, and they didn’t think she would play that much because of it.

It's not like the Sky have struggled at all so you can't fault Wade, but KLS at 4 is looking like a bad choice by Wade, especially with a helicopter Mom. Almost every mock draft had one of Collier (most popular), Brown, or Anigwe going to the Sky at 4. Ironically, any of those players would've been a much better fit for the Sky compared to KLS. KLS also would've dropped to 6th where she probably gets drafted (unless either Arike/Collier were on the table) and would've taken a lot of minutes that have gone to Wiese/Mabrey.

Reaction Score
Look, unless you are in for significant minutes and able to get in a groove, it is basically a waste of time, partly because the rest of the team isn’t used to having you there. I think Lou could be more aggressive but that might be a result of too few minutes with starters. Chicago has a good team but not a great team. This season Wade was playing for a second year on the job. Next year he needs to find a better rotation.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
KLS: "Dear Mom, " Love, Katie Lou." I don't think it helped to have him say Katie Lou's playing time in up to the wishes of another player (yeah, I spun it), a time which may be measured in years - damn dumb statement. I would like to see her out of there, but I've liked his work this year in general.

Sky willing to be patient with Katie Lou Samuelson’s development
This was Wades comment about KLS on Draft night.
“We couldn’t be more thrilled to welcome Katie Lou to the Chicago Sky family,” said Sky General Manager and Head Coach James Wade. “She is a winner – that goes unquestioned – and an incredibly smart, tough player. Katie Lou is someone who can not only play with everyone on our roster but will make everyone on our roster better.”

This is from the Friday Chicago Sun Times article linked above, posted by Rocky MTblue

When the Sky drafted Katie Lou Samuelson with the fourth overall pick in April, coach and general manager James Wade wasn’t necessarily looking for her to make an impact this season. Instead, he was looking for a “long-term solution” to a future problem. “She’s going to be a staple of how we want to play for a long time, and she allows us to do that for whenever Quigley slows down or whenever she’s ready to pass the torch,” he said.

So which is it?

By the way, many of you might think this is about PT on the court. Nope, much more than that is involved.

Reaction Score
It's not like the Sky have struggled at all so you can't fault Wade, but KLS at 4 is looking like a bad choice by Wade, especially with a helicopter Mom. Almost every mock draft had one of Collier (most popular), Brown, or Anigwe going to the Sky at 4. Ironically, any of those players would've been a much better fit for the Sky compared to KLS. KLS also would've dropped to 6th where she probably gets drafted (unless either Arike/Collier were on the table) and would've taken a lot of minutes that have gone to Wiese/Mabrey.

I do agree, I’ve mentioned that ultimately I just think she was drafted by the wrong team, everything to me has to be about the right fit, I just think chicago wasn’t the right fit, crazy enough sucks they had the first pick but I think Vegas would have been a good fit, I watched one of there games the other night and it was mentioned that they are one of the worst teams at the 3 point line

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I do agree, I’ve mentioned that ultimately I just think she was drafted by the wrong team, everything to me has to be about the right fit, I just think chicago wasn’t the right fit, crazy enough sucks they had the first pick but I think Vegas would have been a good fit, I watched one of there games the other night and it was mentioned that they are one of the worst teams at the 3 point line

Vegas actually leads the league in 3pt%... but are last in attempts per game. Young has been solid as a PG for them. KLS could become a good pro but has no business going #1. Hindsight is 20/20, but Collier would've been a great fit at #1 for Vegas.

Reaction Score
Vegas actually leads the league in 3pt%... but are last in attempts per game. Young has been solid as a PG for them. KLS could become a good pro but has no business going #1. Hindsight is 20/20, but Collier would've been a great fit at #1 for Vegas.

It could have been the other team Vegas was playing the other day that the announcers said this about, I just remember hearing the worst 3 point shooting team, I know she shouldnt have been number one, that’s why I was saying sucks that Vegas had the number one pick and not something lower, but I think playing over seas this season will help her a lot, I know a lot of players who were so-so there rookie years played significantly better the next season

Reaction Score
Anyone else see this..... ?? Weird considering Lou and Phee are (were?) best friends.

Attachments

• AF9447A0-397C-4F91-85F1-19686A9CB897.jpeg
    AF9447A0-397C-4F91-85F1-19686A9CB897.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 629

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member