KLS named finalist for the ANN MEYERS DRYSDALE award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KLS named finalist for the ANN MEYERS DRYSDALE award

Reaction Score
This award (Ann Meyers Drysdale Shooting Guard of the Year) is a new award created by the WBCA. The Miller (SF), McClain (PF), and Leslie (C) awards are also new WBCA awards. The existing Lieberman award is also presented by the WBCA. So now there is an award for each position.

The USBWA's "Ann Meyers Drysdale Women's Player of the Year" is a different award.
Thanks. Still none the wiser. Does anyone know where one can read the specific rules and guidelines re. what the award is for, criteria upon which grounds eligibility is determined, factors considered in determining who receives the award, etc. ?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks. Still none the wiser. Does anyone know where one can read the specific rules and guidelines re. what the award is for, criteria upon which grounds eligibility is determined, factors considered in determining who receives the award, etc. ?

upload_2018-2-28_13-51-28.png

http://www.hoophall.com/news/naismi...ounce-five-finalists-for-2018-ann-meyers-drys

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hoophall Awards
Scroll down the page to the women's awards and there should be link to learn more about each award.

Reaction Score
Hoophall Awards
Scroll down the page to the women's awards and there should be link to learn more about each award.
Thanks. But there is still nothing as to what, specifically, is at issue in determining how the award recipient is determined, the criteria for eligibility, and so on. I would think that this sort of thing must be codified somewhere. Otherwise, "top shooting guard" it is, and make of that what you will.

Reaction Score
Laksa’s 3-Point percentage is higher than Ogunbowale’s.
you are right...I wrote too quickly, without rechecking my stats... but both Laksa and Ogunbowale are below 40% ( Laksa at 38+% an Ogun at 36+%)... neither screams out as the kind of 3pt shooter that should win the SHOOTING guard award.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks. But there is still nothing as to what, specifically, is at issue in determining how the award recipient is determined, the criteria for eligibility, and so on. I would think that this sort of thing must be codified somewhere. Otherwise, "top shooting guard" it is, and make of that what you will.
That is pretty much it. At the beginning of the season you select 10 players for each of the 5 positions awards =watch list with no overlaps. Throughout the year you watch how they play and down select along the way. Some of the awards are new this year but I don't ever remember someone being added to the preseason watch list. But these awards have always been like that-without quantifiable criteria.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
you are right...I wrote too quickly, without rechecking my stats... but both Laksa and Ogunbowale are below 40% ( Laksa at 38+% an Ogun at 36+%)... neither screams out as the kind of 3pt shooter that should win the SHOOTING guard award.
But over 96% on FTs is insanely good.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying that Laksa should win or I want her to win. I’m just saying that, in terms of pure shooting ability, she belongs in that group and possibly in the upper half of it. The European nations produce some tall kids who are excellent shooters. She’s one of them. Anyone who shoots 96% on FTs deserves recognition.
Just a thought ... it's not the Free Throw Award... but rather Shooting Guard Award. Laksa can light up the score board on most any night, but her 3pt percentage is quite poor as is her overall shooting percentage... but those shots are often "contested" while of course Free Throws are not. If she only hits 38% of her 3pt shots, it's reasonable to say that it is almost like a turn over nearly 68% of the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how Laksa is even a real consideration in receiving this award. Two things that others have pointed make this pretty clear.
Her stats(other than her FT %) don't justify serious consideration. Secondly, Kia completely shut her down twice. Yes Kia is a excellent defender and never lets up for a moment but Laksa didn't really look that much better this recent game than the first one. If she was that good, we should have seen a significant improvement. While she clearly doesn't have the support level of the other teams, great shooters make adjustments, beyond what I've seen.
KLS shooting interestingly has gotten better this year as her offensive repertoire has expanded a great deal. She can shoot / score in so many ways.
Bronx23

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a thought ... it's not the Free Throw Award... but rather Shooting Guard Award. Laksa can light up the score board on most any night, but her 3pt percentage is quite poor as is her overall shooting percentage... but those shots are often "contested" while of course Free Throws are not. If she only hits 38% of her 3pt shots, it's reasonable to say that it is almost like a turn over nearly 68% of the time.
38% on 3-Point shooting is not “poor.” I think Lou, Maya, and Kaleena had seasons at about 38% from the arc.

I don’t think Laksa should win this award, but my point is that, given an open shot, she is very, very accurate.

Reaction Score
38% on 3-Point shooting is not “poor.” I think Lou, Maya, and Kaleena had seasons at about 38% from the arc.

I don’t think Laksa should win this award, but my point is that, given an open shot, she is very, very accurate.
S

Sorry MillfordHuskey, I admit "poor" was not the best choice of a descriptor for Laksa's 3pt shooting...but her percentage of 3 point shots made pales when compared with Durr and Lou. She isn't even in the top 50 in D1 WBB in this category. In addition, her overall field goal percentage is below 40%...these are two things that one would think should be among the key elements for this award... although there is no published "standards"... I completely agree that her Free Throw Percentage is "out of this world" as I stated in my initial post... Like you, I do not think she should win this award.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom