KLS: I have 4 fouls. GA: Well, that's your fault, not mine. | The Boneyard

KLS: I have 4 fouls. GA: Well, that's your fault, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
by: Carl Adamec Nov. 16, 2016

upload_2016-11-16_11-28-9.png

"It's a different world today," Geno Auriemma said. "She came up to me on the sideline and goes, 'I have four fouls.' I said, 'Well, that's your fault, not mine.' She wanted me to take her out. I'm not taking you out. That's crazy, right? Complaining to me that she has four fouls."

"Once I got the fourth foul, I went over to Coach and was freaking out about it," Samuelson said. "He said it was my fault and I realized it was. I needed to do something for the team. I guess having four fouls calmed me down. I'll play smart and knock down shots for my team. I tried to step up.

"I got myself in this situation so I have to figure it out and I did."

[COMPLETE ARTICLE]

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My favorite quote - "I used to say last there was Disneyworld, Disneyland, and UConn Fantasy Land. Now we're down to earth a bit and that's good."

Pretty aptly sums up the Stewart era.

Bold move by Geno leaving KLS out there. I'm sure most coaches would have pulled her like she expected. It worked out, though. It's the kind of stuff you can do as a coach when you have absolutely zero fear of criticism.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My favorite quote - "I used to say last there was Disneyworld, Disneyland, and UConn Fantasy Land. Now we're down to earth a bit and that's good."
Bold move by Geno leaving KLS out there. I'm sure most coaches would have pulled her like she expected. It worked out, though. It's the kind of stuff you can do as a coach when you have absolutely zero fear of criticism.
By contrast when Thomas picked up her third foul early in 2nd half, Sue rested her from 9:17 until 4:34 during that stretch UCONN was +8- UCONN most productive stretch of the game & likely decisive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

That pretty well sums up Geno at this stage of his career - at least in the regular season he is playing with house money so he can use adversity as a teaching tool rather than freaking out.

Reaction Score

It's called "Geno Luck," self-made, not for sale. The only way to have it is to make it yourself.

Reaction Score
I like that the kids are more optimistic than the coach:
  • "We can only get better from here," Collier said. "We didn't play well in the first half but were better in the second half, so we can build on that. It was a good teaching moment."
  • "We learned a lot today and now we have to move on to the next game," Samuelson said. "This is why we came here and what we're all ready for."
  • Geno: "They are going to do some ridiculously dumb stuff that we haven't seen at Connecticut in a long time. But every coach deals with that all the time. I have been fortunate that we haven't had to deal with that much of it. I guess it's my turn."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like that the kids are more optimistic than the coach:
  • "We can only get better from here," Collier said. "We didn't play well in the first half but were better in the second half, so we can build on that. It was a good teaching moment."
  • "We learned a lot today and now we have to move on to the next game," Samuelson said. "This is why we came here and what we're all ready for."
  • Geno: "They are going to do some ridiculously dumb stuff that we haven't seen at Connecticut in a long time. But every coach deals with that all the time. I have been fortunate that we haven't had to deal with that much of it. I guess it's my turn."
  • Great stuff. But if I see anything out there regarding #lessonslearned from the staff, I'll realize McCallie has "invasion of the body snatchers" taken over Geno!!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
That's really quite an endorsement of KLS from Geno - I can't recall him showing that degree of faith in the game-smarts of a sophomore, much less first-game, on the road, national TV sort-of-setting. That's the sort of thing he usually lays on upperclassmen.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

"It's a different world today," Geno Auriemma said. "She came up to me on the sideline and goes, 'I have four fouls.' I said, 'Well, that's your fault, not mine.' She wanted me to take her out. I'm not taking you out. That's crazy, right? Complaining to me that she has four fouls."

"Once I got the fourth foul, I went over to Coach and was freaking out about it," Samuelson said. "He said it was my fault and I realized it was. I needed to do something for the team. I guess having four fouls calmed me down. I'll play smart and knock down shots for my team. I tried to step up.

[COMPLETE ARTICLE]

I recall what Geno said when Diana left. Something like this:

"I knew the party was over. What I didn't realize was that the power was turned off, the doors were padlocked, and the building was condemned."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's really quite an endorsement of KLS from Geno - I can't recall him showing that degree of faith in the game-smarts of a sophomore, much less first-game, on the road, national TV sort-of-setting. That's the sort of thing he usually lays on upperclassmen.
That tells me Geno expects Samuelson to be really, really good (eventually).

Reaction Score
Pressure can bust pipes, but it can also create diamonds. Geno and CD know how to create diamonds.

That is a PRINCE of a statement!!!

[COMPLETE ARTICLE]

Javaman---I read the title of your thread and started giggling like a school girl--finally i find someone as naive as i am. If Geno reacted as my Gran-dad--after he said "that's your fault, not mine Gran dad would have added 'dam fool' (which he laid on me quite often) I know how she felt.

KLS was trying to do what was "right" for the moment. Then she got the message--it's up to you to find a way to stay in the game and help your team--lesson learned!!

But still funny. Thanks again Javaman.

Reaction Score

[COMPLETE ARTICLE]

Vintage Geno. That's why I love the guy! He is SOOOO REAL! So very candid and to the point. I'd love to have access to all his press conferences and speeches.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno's retort to Samuelson -- "That's your fault, not mine!" -- evoked an unforgettable military moment many years ago. I was serving with a legendary tough leader (Charlie Beckwith). A young sergeant was contritely trying to explain some recent inadequacies in his job performance (put another way, FUBAR). Charlie cut him short:
"Sergeant, you're coming to me looking for sympathy, but you won't get it from me. You'll find sympathy in the dictionary -- between and syphilis."

Neither that young trooper nor I would ever forget that classic counseling session.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno's retort to Samuelson -- "That's your fault, not mine!" -- evoked an unforgettable military moment many years ago.
"You'll find sympathy in the dictionary -- between and syphilis."​
Neither that young trooper nor I would ever forget that classic counseling session.

P.S. Nor will Katie Lou ever forget Geno's abrupt admonishment.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom