KLS 'Homecoming" Redux? | The Boneyard

KLS 'Homecoming" Redux?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Was it unusual for Lou to have her "homecoming" during her junior year? Given that fate intervened in the most cruel and unfortunate way, could she get another shot at delighting the hometown faithful next season? Or are schedules formulated too far in advance to make that accommodation?

Long Beach State is only about 10 miles from Huntington Beach, Irvine is just 14 and USC (the real USC) is 28 miles away.

What about Lou's Score Sister, Napheesa Collier? Will she get a "homecoming" game versus St. Louis, the University of Missouri or, maybe, Southern Illinois?

Reaction Score
UConn has a 4 game home/home series with Cal which started this year. UConn plays at Cal next year. Since the team will already be on the west coast they could play a game in Southern California potentially. Only part of the future OOC is known, but UConn probably will play more than 1 game when out west for Cal. That's a really long trip for just 1 game. I would bet they may already have a game in the works that isn't released. Maybe even another Thanksgiving break 3 game trip like this year.

Collier's homecoming game was announced early in the fall. UConn signed a contract to play Saint Louis University. That game might be scheduled on the same trip they take for the away game at Oklahoma. UConn has a 4 game home/home scheduled with OU that starts this year.

2018-19 OOC
Seton Hall --start of 2 game home/home
@Baylor - second half of the home/home from 2016
@OU - game 2 0f 4 home/home series
@Cal - game 2 of 4 home/home series
@ Lousiville - 2nd game of series from this year
UCLA - 2nd game of series from this year
@Saint Louis University - Collier home coming

I would bet the ND and Depaul series will likely be renewed as they have played every year since the Big East broke up. Alternating those games gives has been the pla. ie...@ND in 2016 and then @Depaul 2017. There might be other games not released as Brenda Freese claimed UConn was essentially booked years out. I know there is contract for a 2 game series with Dayton starting in 2019.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn has a 4 game home/home series with Cal which started this year. UConn plays at Cal next year. Since the team will already be on the west coast they could play a game in Southern California potentially. Only part of the future OOC is known, but UConn probably will play more than 1 game when out west for Cal. That's a really long trip for just 1 game. I would bet they may already have a game in the works that isn't released. Maybe even another Thanksgiving break 3 game trip like this year.

Collier's homecoming game was announced early in the fall. UConn signed a contract to play Saint Louis University. That game might be scheduled on the same trip they take for the away game at Oklahoma. UConn has a 4 game home/home scheduled with OU that starts this year.

2018-19 OOC

I would bet the ND and Depaul series will likely be renewed as they have played every year since the Big East broke up. Alternating those games gives has been the pla. ie...@ND in 2016 and then @Depaul 2017. There might be other games not released as Brenda Freese claimed UConn was essentially booked years out. I know there is contract for a 2 game series with Dayton starting in 2019.

Since UConn will return to the Golden State again next year for a game with Cal, it would not be difficult to fly 371 miles south for a game with another D1 team in the Los Angeles area for a homecoming for Lou. There are no less than 8 programs (University of California at Riverside ( UCR), UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Northridge, Loyola Marymount, USC & UCLA) locally they have to choose from. UCLA and USC would given them the best games and have the largest venues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I didn't say something snarky at the time, but now I can't help myself. This just sounds like BS to me - Brenda is tired of getting spanked, but she has decided to blame UConn for not playing her, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Since UConn will return to the Golden State again next year for a game with Cal, it would not be difficult to fly 371 miles south for a game with another D1 team in the Los Angeles area for a homecoming for Lou. There are no less than 8 programs (University of California at Riverside ( UCR), UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Northridge, Loyola Marymount, USC & UCLA) locally they have to choose from. UCLA and USC would given them the best games.

The best option/game would be UCLA. Their coach seems like she would welcome another series from her post game news conference. USC plays a really weak OOC, so don't expect them to take on a big game and guaranteed slaughter.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The best option/game would be UCLA. Their coach seems like she would welcome another series from her post game news conference. USC plays a really weak OOC, so don't expect them to take on a big game and guaranteed slaughter.
UConn and UCLA are scheduled to play in Connecticut next year. During the UCLA game, the announcers suggested (not altogether seriously) that both teams might be happy to move the game to Los Angeles -- Lou would get her homecoming, and UCLA would miss the Eastern winter. I would think that Geno might be open to that idea, especially if the series continues after next year. There could be two consecutive games in Connecticut in subsequent years to make up for two consecutive games in LA.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

2018-19 OOC

Good info, Sven. And what of Z? What are the chances she will get a homecoming game at NC State?

Things really get interesting and provocative the following season, when Crystal graduates. Care to volunteer where she might get a homecoming game?

Reaction Score
I didn't say something snarky at the time, but now I can't help myself. This just sounds like BS to me - Brenda is tired of getting spanked, but she has decided to blame UConn for not playing her, not the other way around.

LOL. Uconn 2018 isalready
Good info, Sven. And what of Z? What are the chances she will get a homecoming game at NC State?

Things really get interesting and provocative the following season, when Crystal graduates. Care to volunteer where she might get a homecoming game?

If Z gets a home game there are several schools near Raleigh, NCST obviously , UNC(possible) and Duke(not happening for obvious reasons) are like 20-25 miles away. There are some small schools like NC Central University member of MEAC.

For Crystal Middle TN State is right in her hometown, if they wanted a P5 could play Vandy like 35 miles away or work a deal to play Vandy using Middle TN arena and make it neutral site game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

If Z gets a home game there are several schools near Raleigh, NCST obviously , UNC(possible) and Duke(not happening for obvious reasons) are like 20-25 miles away. There are some small schools like NC Central University member of MEAC.

For Crystal Middle TN State is right in her hometown, if they wanted a P5 could play Vandy like 35 miles away or work a deal to play Vandy using Middle TN arena and make it neutral site game.
Didn't take the "volunteer" bait, huh?

Reaction Score
Since UConn will return to the Golden State again next year for a game with Cal, it would not be difficult to fly 371 miles south for a game with another D1 team in the Los Angeles area for a homecoming for Lou. There are no less than 8 programs (University of California at Riverside ( UCR), UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Northridge, Loyola Marymount, USC & UCLA) locally they have to choose from. UCLA and USC would given them the best games and have the largest venues.

Pepperdine University could also be an option.

Reaction Score

Memphis

Reaction Score

2018-19 OOC

Uconn and Notre Dame were not scheduled in 2013-14 season. They played for the NC and Uconn won in Nashville for their 9th title.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Uconn and Notre Dame were not scheduled in 2013-14 season. They played for the NC and Uconn won in Nashville for their 9th title.

2013-2014 was the season Geno "ducked" Notre Dame, per Muffet.

Reaction Score
Memphis is 230 miles away and is a yearly AAC game
Didnt look up miles for Memphis but do you really think I didnt know Memphis is in the AAC! Have been a fan of Uconn WBB sice 1987 when I watched games in the field house.

Reaction Score
2013-2014 was the season Geno "ducked" Notre Dame, per Muffet.
Yes and Geno said she shouldn't lie during Lent.

OK I'm starting to get excited about Sunday now. A "real" game. Does KLS play? Who takes Young out of the game? Shepard? Arike? They do have a lot of weapons.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Pepperdine University could also be an option.

Yes, but the Pepperdine campus is 58 miles (per map quest) from Huntington Beach. The schools I mentioned are much closer in proximity to her home. It would not surprise me if Geno chose to return to Pauley again next year. I think they really enjoyed the welcome and hospitality they received from the school (staff), local businesses and the fans. I attended the game. There were a lot of UConn fans in attendance. We made our presence known. No matter where you went in the arena, you saw someone in UConn gear. We cheered loudly (in unison) when one of our girls made a basket, or a good play, and they came away with the win. So all things being considered, their visit to the UCLA campus (and a visit to a local In N Out restaurant for Azura) was a positive one. ;)

The one negative for THIS trip was the duration. Eight days is a l-o-n-g time to be on the road. If they choose to play UCLA again, since they're going to be in northern CA to play Cal, they could schedule those games on a Friday/Sunday, or Saturday/Monday format. Arrive in town the day before the first game, and fly home right after the second game = 4 day road trip. Very do-able, not taxing at all. A 1:00 pm (PST) game on Sunday would put them back in Storrs before midnight.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Didnt look up miles for Memphis but do you really think I didnt know Memphis is in the AAC! Have been a fan of Uconn WBB sice 1987 when I watched games in the field house.

Yes, and as someone who lives in San Diego I'm familiar with the colleges and universities in the Southern California area, and also know that Middle Tennessee State is located in Murfreesboro and that Knoxville is a three-hour drive from there but if you take every comment and observation as an insult and try to chase down every perceived injustice, cb, you wouldn't have the time to read this response and know that I appreciate your thoughts and the contribution you've made to the thread I started.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'm guessing that when the staff looks for a school to play a "homecoming" game at, they seek to find a D-1 school closest to the senior's city of residence, and try to work a deal of some kind. I would guess most coaches would be glad to host the #1 team in the country (great for their fans, recruitment and the game will probably be on national TV, which means national exposure for your program), or for no less than a modest financial donation to their athletic fund. Both programs can usually find some middle ground for negotiation for these types of games.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that when the staff looks for a school to play a "homecoming" game at, they seek to find a D-1 school closest to the senior's city of residence, and try to work a deal of some kind. I would guess most coaches would be glad to host the #1 team in the country (great for their fans and recruitment) or for no less than a modest financial donation to their athletic fund. Both programs can usually find some middle ground for negotiation for these types of games.

For a D-1 midmajor your right. Ie...Nevada got their 1st national tv game, record crowd and a guarantee payout from UConn. Not to mention they showed well for the most part. Some P12 schools in the future might see them as a decent test to for an early season game. A game the P5 will likely win, but you can get something out of b/c it's not a pure cannon fodder game

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What's a field house?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
What's a field house?
Not "A" Field house, "the" Fieldhouse.

field_house.jpg

Carnac

Reaction Score
What's a field house?

Per wikipedia: "Field house or fieldhouse is a common name for indoor sports arenas and stadiums, mostly used for college basketball, volleyball, or ice hockey. Additionally it is known to serve as a support building for various adjacent sports fields, i.e. locker room, team room, coaches' offices, etc."

Back in the 50's & 60's (not so much today) some colleges and universities, especially those schools in rural parts of the country, called their basketball court or gym "fieldhouses". Now most are called Arena or Center, etc, or it's named after a $$$ donor i.e. Harry A. Gampel Pavilion). Thanks Biff, you beat me to it. A picture is worth a 1000 words! :)

Reaction Score
Uconn WBB have lost only 18 games at Gampel Pavilion since it opened January 21, 1990!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom