KLS has a french heritage | The Boneyard

KLS has a french heritage

Reaction Score
Frawnch, English, who cares? Lou taking the bit and running with it, answering oui, yes, I WILL get that offensive rebound, and I WILL get my shooting touch turned around, bodes well for this bunch of overachievers.

Reaction Score
Doesn't oui mean yes in French? Granted I took Spanish but I'm pretty sure it's yes.

Reaction Score
Geno says KLS says Oui (we), instead of I, when he tells her to try harder during comments after the game. Says she now has a french heritage. Lol, never heard that one before.
Maybe a riff on Geno's famous distinction between male players and female players responding to criticism: male players look around at their teammates and think that the coach means someone else, and female players all think the coach means themselves.

Maybe Geno's playing with Lou, suggesting that the California kid is impervious to internalizing criticism, by socializing it onto the entire team as "we"= "oui" rather than "I".

Geno was in a trickster mood last night, joking with Justine Ward after the game (admittedly, he barely hides his impatience with her generally) that during the 2nd half of the game "he had followed her advice at halftime".

check out his impatience with both Lou and Justine at the beginning of this:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think perhaps here Geno is being Geno as in being a little facetious.
And all the time I thought he was being sarcastically witty! She should have said ---SEE SEE !!

Reaction Score
One thing KLS deserves more praise for is her inbound passing on offense under the basket and her passing to Phees in general. She gets the ball to Phees in very good spots. Her passing on fast breaks is excellent. She could have had 10 assists last night save for missed shots. This is really an amazing team to watch. Every night someone else hurts you.

Reaction Score
I missed that comment last night. What is her French heritage?

Just a quip from the presser.

I also enjoyed his description of Gabby's failed high-five. "If it was Pheesa, she would have gotten me right in the palm of my hand."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And all the time I thought he was being sarcastically witty! She should have said ---SEE SEE !!
At UConn both are better than ME ME.

Reaction Score
At UConn both are better than ME ME.
What makes the ME ME negativism interesting is--when ME ME is needed to provide the defense or scoring the oui oui need si si !! Many times over the years--Geno relied upon the ME ME starting with Stewie and working back through Rene, Maya then to Diana and beyond. I agree the Team concept is a great protective mechanism and defensive method. Without the singularly talented and aggressive players Geno would not have been so successful. Still i say no player wins games alone good to better supporting casts are needed.

Reaction Score
to celebrate KLS's French heritage I had breakfast at La Madeleine :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Maybe a riff on Geno's famous distinction between male players and female players responding to criticism: male players look around at their teammates and think that the coach means someone else, and female players all think the coach means themselves.
That actually came from Anson Dorrance.

Reaction Score
That actually came from Anson Dorrance.
Thanks so much! I've forever misattributed it. Makes sense, since Dorrance coached both men and women also and so knows the difference. Sort of like Tiresias....more or less.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks so much! I've forever misattributed it. Makes sense, since Dorrance coached both men and women also and so knows the difference. Sort of like Tiresias....more or less.
Dorrance, Tiresias? I'd probably go with less. ;)

Reaction Score
Dorrance, Tiresias? I'd probably go with less. ;)
Hey Meyers7,
You've been around a bit (2011, 15k posts). I bet you have been following for much longer, like me (mid 80s).
Perhaps you could help me with a quick question:
Geno has always emphasized "Team (Oui)," Ie: no names on Jerseys, five together = many more than that, one for all all for one, etc...
Don't you find it interesting that Geno is encouraging KLS to think as an "I," instead of a We? Hence her (seemingly) confusion over his instructions.
It appears that he's just trying to get her to shoot a little bit more, but,
Has there ever been another time, that you can remember him doing this (at least where we could hear/see it?
Just Curious.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think perhaps here Geno is being Geno as in being a little facetious.

facetious. One of two words with all vowels (a-e-i-o-u) in sequence.

The other is abstemious.

(Add -ly to either if you wish.)
Head bang

Anybody know of any others?:)

Reaction Score
Geno has always emphasized "Team (Oui)," Ie: no names on Jerseys, five together = many more than that, one for all all for one, etc...
Don't you find it interesting that Geno is encouraging KLS to think as an "I," instead of a We? Hence her (seemingly) confusion over his instructions......
Has there ever been another time, that you can remember him doing this (at least where we could hear/see it?
Just Curious.
I'm not Meyers, but I'll take a shot at it. Late in the 2002 NC game vs Oklahoma Geno called a timeout and instructed that year's #1, 2, 4, and 6 WNBA draft choices to run a clearout play for their sophomore teammate to go 1 on 1 with Dionnah Jackson. I think it took Geno the whole timeout to talk this timid sophomore into engaging in that selfish behavior, but he insisted. Apparently not confused by the instructions, the sophomore guard took the ball and backed Jackson into the post, spun, drove, and scored, fouling out the helping Stacy Dales for an and-one, and icing the game and the NC.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hey Meyers7,
You've been around a bit (2011, 15k posts). I bet you have been following for much longer, like me (mid 80s).
Yea, I've been around the boards for a long time. Back to the Courant forums in the mid 90's. They kept moving the forums, probably to try and lose me, but they were unable to shake me. :rolleyes:

Don't you find it interesting that Geno is encouraging KLS to think as an "I," instead of a We? Hence her (seemingly) confusion over his instructions.
I think he was talking about her defense with the I/Oui thing. In that Geno said "she" needs to work on her defense. And Samuelson said Oui (the team) need to work on our defense. Granted probably both need work in Geno's eyes, but I think his intent was to get Samuelson to take responsibility for herself and her defensive work.

I don't think it had anything to do with her shooting though. Least from what I heard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom