KLS Focused On Her Defense This Season | The Boneyard

KLS Focused On Her Defense This Season

Reaction Score
UConn Junior Katie Lou Samuelson Focused On Her Defense This Season

Yes, Samuelson was among the best scorers in the country. Yes, she was diversifying her game as she delivered points from places other than the 3-point arc. Yes, she was playing with passion and diving after balls.

But what about her defense?

“She’s a better basketball player right now than she was last year at this time,” Auriemma said. “We talk about that a lot. There’s a big difference between shooting the ball well and playing well. Some guys think, ‘If I make enough shots, coach will keep playing me.’ That’s really not the case. If you play well and don’t make as many shots, you’re probably going to play just as much If you make shots like Lou does, and you play [well]? Then you become a pretty good basketball player.”

Samuelson, already a polished player, is following Auriemma’s cue. Rather than wilt from his prodding, she is using it as motivation.

“That’s what he wants,” Samuelson said. “He wants all of us to kind of fight and show that we have that heart to fight back when he does knock us down. He knows that he’s doing it because he’s going to get it out of you eventually. I think that’s the biggest thing why people succeed or don’t succeed here. If you take it to heart every time, you’re going to not become the player he expects you [to be].”

Reaction Score
I believe I call 'em straight and I call 'em like I see 'em. KLS is a much better player. Her skills this year are on par with all of her praise from the past year.
I hope she keeps it up - more offensive rebounds, much better defense and not a one trick pony.
Bravo KLS. Bravo.

HGN

Reaction Score
From the Exhibition games KLS does seem to be a better defensive player. She is moving her feet a lot better. In HS she didn't have to really play
tough defense because she wasn't really required to. But its different at UConn. She 'looks' a bit stronger , quicker , and leaner. And she's anticipating better.
Which might lead to more steals and being in better defensive position.

I think she's better.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Definitely better. We saw pics of her working out this summer, and it shows. Remember she was limited during summer of 2016 recovering from foot injury. She`s also young, just turned 20, getting stronger. (Collier is almost a full year older.)

Disagree with the "one trick pony" label though. As a Freshman ok, but not last year. Exhibit A - Connecticut v. Maryland. Had added versatility to her offensive game and was the player opposing coaches game planned against.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's one of the many reason Lou came to UConn. One of them was to "round out" her overall game. Let's face it, defense was not her strong suit in high school. Like KML, she was groomed to make 3's. The staff will raise her level of competency on the defensive end of the court. This is why she will be so attractive to WNBA general managers and coaches in April of 2019.

Not to throw the slightest bit of shade or disrespect to any player coming into the draft from another program, but it is widely known that players coming into the draft from UConn are highly coveted by coaches and GM's, because they are "game ready" the first day of practice.

WNBA GM's/coach's outlook: "If you played under Geno for 4 years, you can play up here". Without checking, I'll bet right now, there are more active players in the W from UConn, than any other school. Look at Saniya Chong. She started one year for Geno, but it was enough to impress Dallas Wing's head coach Fred Williams. She graduated on time, and left with 3 championships. Even though she went in the 3rd round of the draft, she made the cut. She played with Dallas the entire year, and is currently doing extremely well overseas. UConn "pedigree" is not to be discounted or ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's one of the many reason Lou came to UConn. One of them was to "round out" her overall game. Let's face it, defense was not her strong suit in high school. Like KML, she was groomed to make 3's. The staff will raise her level of competency on the defensive end of the court. This is why she will be so attractive to WNBA general managers and coaches in April of 2019.

Not to throw the slightest shade or disrespect to any player coming into the draft from another program, but it is widely known that players coming into the draft from UConn are highly coveted by coaches and GM's, because they are "game ready" the first day of practice.

WNBA GM's/coach's outlook: "If you played under Geno for 4 years, you can play up here". Without checking, I'll bet right now, there are more active players in the W from UConn, than any other school. Look at Saniya Chong. She started one year for Geno, but it was enough to impress Dallas Wing's head coach Fred Williams. She graduated on time, and left with 3 championships. Even though she went in the 3rd round of the draft, she made the cut. She played with Dallas the entire year, and is doing extremely well overseas. UConn "pedigree" is not to be discounted or ignored.
We had more alums in the WNBA than any other university:

Sue
Diana
Tina
Maya
Tiffany
Stef
Bria
Kaleena
Kiah
Stewie
Morgan
Moriah
Saniya
Renee (edit)

That's 14. I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Darn, NeNe. Thanks! I couldn't recall if we had 13 or 14. I thought it was odd that there was no one between Dee and Tina.

I just fixed my list. Thanks again!

Thanks Milford for assisting me in corroborating my hunch. This dynamic is something potential recruits should be made aware of if they have aspirations of playing professionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks Milford for assisting me in corroborating my hunch. This dynamic is something potential recruits should be made aware of if they have aspirations of playing professionally.
We added 7 in a 3-year span (2014-16). We should add 5 over the next 2 years. If Dee and Sue hang on, that will give us a whopping 19. I think we have players on all the teams except Washington, L.A., and Indiana.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We added 7 in a 3-year span (2014-16). We should add 5 over the next 2 years. If Dee and Sue hang on, that will give us a whopping 19. I think we have players on all the teams except Washington, L.A., and Indiana.
Indeed. Also, I don't think some people can quite grasp the fact that UConn's entire first 7, if you include Meg, are going to be pros. I would also include at least two others on Geno's current bench. Remarkable

Carnac

Reaction Score
From the Exhibition games KLS does seem to be a better defensive player. She is moving her feet a lot better. In HS she didn't have to really play
tough defense because she wasn't really required to. But its different at UConn. She 'looks' a bit stronger , quicker , and leaner. And she's anticipating better.
Which might lead to more steals and being in better defensive position.

I think she's better.

HGN, your observation is 100% spot on!!!

Reaction Score

Chong and KML would also have to hang on. Tuck?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chong and KML would also have to hang on. Tuck?
True, but I think KML and Saniya can play at that level, in some situation. And Morgan seems healthy, knock on wood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom