KK Arnold :-) | The Boneyard

KK Arnold :-)

Reaction Score
If I was playing UConn the next few years, I would be scared about our guard rotation. When KK joins the team, likely will be coming off the bench. Pity the 2nd tier Big East teams in the 4th Q when the subs go in and there is KK. Top 10 teams receive no mercy either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I was playing UConn the next few years, I would be scared about our guard rotation. When KK joins the team, likely will be coming off the bench. Pity the 2nd tier Big East teams in the 4th Q when the subs go in and there is KK. Top 10 teams receive no mercy either.
It is going to be a very very deep rotation at 1,2 & 3 for UCONN
PG: Paige, Nika, KK, Ines
SG: Azzi, Ashlynn, Qadence.
SF: Aubrey, Caroline
I just don't envision KK being a 4th quarter type player against the bottom big east teams because she needs to be established as the PG of the post Paige Era. Not many bad choices just some tough ones with this many quality lineups. For example, if you start Paige Nika, and Azzi (most likely) that would mean Aubrey or Caroline is playing the 4. IMO Aubrey is a better 4 than Caroline and a better perimeter defensive compliment to Nika as indicated by the way Aubrey has been playing the position since Dorka went down.

Reaction Score
I figured Q would be a 3 or even a 4 on offense, not a 2. I don’t doubt we could use her there, especially on defense. But she looks like she’s in the mould of Aubrey only slightly taller, and I don’t think we play Aubrey as a shooting guard.

But perhaps that means we’re thin at sg, if that’s a distinction that matters for Geno. Going forward after next year, Inês and KK will platoon at pg according to my crystal ball, though I won’t be surprised if KK becomes the starter soon enough. Azzi and Ashlynn and Paige at sg… that’s my dream for the sg if Paige maxes out her eligibility. Aubrey and Q at the 3 if Aubrey maxes out her eligibility??? If that’s not an option I’m not sure we have a natural 3 in the lineup other than Q. And in the paint, we have all the strength and talent any team could wish for.

Enough dreaming.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just don't envision KK being a 4th quarter type player against the bottom big east teams because she needs to be established as the PG of the post Paige Era. Not many bad choices just some tough ones with this many quality lineups. For example, if you start Paige Nika, and Azzi (most likely) that would mean Aubrey or Caroline is playing the 4. IMO Aubrey is a better 4 than Caroline and a better perimeter defensive compliment to Nika as indicated by the way Aubrey has been playing the position since Dorka went down.
Don't forget we have one more year of Aaliyah and TWO,, 2 , TWO more of Caroline to
add to this list! Do you thing, Amari Everyone eats!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed. However, Aubrey has more problems on defense closing on her mark at the arc than Caroline. Geno has been playing an aggressive help defense, and AG has been burned any number of times, especially in the Iowa game, whereas Caroline was more effective closing, then defending the drive.

Reaction Score
If you envision a starting lineup next year of Nika, Azzi and Paige which I think is certainly possible, then the potential second unit could be incredible and give KK valuable learning minutes. Paige probably will play some point guard, but she doesn't necessarily have to. If Nika is in the game, she should be the point and Azzi and Paige are at the 2-3.

Instead of moving Paige to the point when Nika sits, you could use KK for Nika's backup. Aubrey and Caroline could back up the 2/3 positions. Imagine a second unit of KK at the point and Caroline and Aubrey at 2/3. If everyone was healthy, Ines, Ashlynn and Q would only get minutes in blowouts, and Aubrey and Caroline might be getting far less than their talent would suggest, but for Geno the tools and options are terrific.

You always have a true point on the floor, and in Aubrey and Caroline the skillsets are so different that when you rest Azzi or Paige you have two great very different options, depending on the game situation. Both Aubrey and Caroline could also pick up more minutes at the 4 if strategy or injuries call for it.

The burden of proof, however, will be on KK. She has to be at the level of a super-sub from day one to make this work. Obviously if she isn't at that level, Aubrey and Caroline could handle all the backup minutes for 1-3 with Paige playing some point, in a 5 small rotation. Upfront there is talent but many more question marks. The potential for a 4 big rotation, however, is there if at least two from Ice, El Alfy, and Amari are ready for the rotation to go with Aaliyah and Ayanna. I'm thinking Ice and El Alfy will be, and maybe Amari.

A 10 player rotation is at least possible, with some third stringers capable of holding their own if called upon, and enough multiple position players that one or two shorter term injuries could be compensated for pretty well by giving Aubrey or Caroline more minutes and shortening the rotation to 8 or 9.

Reaction Score
A 10 player rotation is at least possible, with some third stringers capable of holding their own if called upon, and enough multiple position players that one or two shorter term injuries could be compensated for pretty well by giving Aubrey or Caroline more minutes and shortening the rotation to 8 or 9.
Ahhh, the fabled 10-player rotation. I am a worshipper at this god's altars, too. But it will never happen. Geno, Lord love him, seems to gravitate to 5+2 or at most 5+3. Why doesn't he understand the profound truth of the 10-player rotation??? It's almost too much for me to bear!

Sad Ice Cream GIF

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you envision a starting lineup next year of Nika, Azzi and Paige which I think is certainly possible, then the potential second unit could be incredible and give KK valuable learning minutes. Paige probably will play some point guard, but she doesn't necessarily have to. If Nika is in the game, she should be the point and Azzi and Paige are at the 2-3.

Instead of moving Paige to the point when Nika sits, you could use KK for Nika's backup. Aubrey and Caroline could back up the 2/3 positions. Imagine a second unit of KK at the point and Caroline and Aubrey at 2/3. If everyone was healthy, Ines, Ashlynn and Q would only get minutes in blowouts, and Aubrey and Caroline might be getting far less than their talent would suggest, but for Geno the tools and options are terrific.

You always have a true point on the floor, and in Aubrey and Caroline the skillsets are so different that when you rest Azzi or Paige you have two great very different options, depending on the game situation. Both Aubrey and Caroline could also pick up more minutes at the 4 if strategy or injuries call for it.

The burden of proof, however, will be on KK. She has to be at the level of a super-sub from day one to make this work. Obviously if she isn't at that level, Aubrey and Caroline could handle all the backup minutes for 1-3 with Paige playing some point, in a 5 small rotation. Upfront there is talent but many more question marks. The potential for a 4 big rotation, however, is there if at least two from Ice, El Alfy, and Amari are ready for the rotation to go with Aaliyah and Ayanna. I'm thinking Ice and El Alfy will be, and maybe Amari.

I have to disagree with most of this. When last fully healthy Paige was the starting PG for UCONN and she has a Lieberman trophy somewhere indicating she is/was the best PG in the country. If you move Paige to the shooting guard then you are moving two players (Paige and Azzi) that are the best in the country at their respective positions . If you keep Paige and Azzi in their best positions and not start Nika then the nation's assist leader and one of the best defender is coming off the bench. Not saying this is what is going to happen-just pointing out that it is not that easy to sort out. The other part that I strongly disagree with is that as long as Paige, Azzi, or KK is on the floor you have a "true" PG on the floor. Unfortunately mop up minutes at the PG. position will be relegated to Ines-unless she shows out as she did against Providence yesterday.

KK does not have a burden of proof and she could not be sitting in a less pressure packed situation. As a freshman KK is going to be playing behind a senior and a Junior that were the #1 recruits in their respective classes as well as potentially a 4 year starter in Nika. Anything KK and Ashlynn might contribute as freshman is icing on the cake.

I also don't believe you are be candid enough about the limitations of the players which has a great impact on the rotation.
1) KK might be considered a true PG but she shows a very good shooting stroke and could be utilized as a shooting guard.
2) The SG is the secondary ball handler (play maker) in the UCONN offense and these are not strengths of either Aubrey or Caroline and Qadence is TBD with regard to these skills.
3) Defense matters greatly and that favors Nika starting or getting major minutes over EVERYONE, followed by minutes for Aubrey over Caroline, followed by minutes for Ashlynn, KK's quickness and Qadence's length.

Still love the potential depth at those positions next season and look forward to how things will pan out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KK has an “ankle-breaking” handle that will embarrass a lot of defenders at the next level.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with most of this. When last fully healthy Paige was the starting PG for UCONN and she has a Lieberman trophy somewhere indicating she is/was the best PG in the country. If you move Paige to the shooting guard then you are moving two players (Paige and Azzi) that are the best in the country at their respective positions . If you keep Paige and Azzi in their best positions and not start Nika then the nation's assist leader and one of the best defender is coming off the bench. Not saying this is what is going to happen-just pointing out that it is not that easy to sort out. The other part that I strongly disagree with is that as long as Paige, Azzi, or KK is on the floor you have a "true" PG on the floor. Unfortunately mop up minutes at the PG. position will be relegated to Ines-unless she shows out as she did against Providence yesterday.

KK does not have a burden of proof and she could not be sitting in a less pressure packed situation. As a freshman KK is going to be playing behind a senior and a Junior that were the #1 recruits in their respective classes as well as potentially a 4 year starter in Nika. Anything KK and Ashlynn might contribute as freshman is icing on the cake.

I also don't believe you are be candid enough about the limitations of the players which has a great impact on the rotation.
1) KK might be considered a true PG but she shows a very good shooting stroke and could be utilized as a shooting guard.
2) The SG is the secondary ball handler (play maker) in the UCONN offense and these are not strengths of either Aubrey or Caroline and Qadence is TBD with regard to these skills.
3) Defense matters greatly and that favors Nika starting or getting major minutes over EVERYONE, followed by minutes for Aubrey over Caroline, followed by minutes for Ashlynn, KK's quickness and Qadence's length.

Still love the potential depth at those positions next season and look forward to how things will pan out.
On some of your points we may be closer than it appears at first. I agree with the concept that you don't necessarily play the 5 best players, partly because it might mean playing someone out of position where they are less effective. I have used that line of reasoning as to why I believed Nika made more sense starting than Lou, when Caroline was healthy and presumably a starter with Azzi. That was because I thought Azzi could play the point, but is a much better player as SG.

With next year, however, if you had to pick between Azzi and Paige as to who played the 3, if both of them started with Nika, the best choice might be Paige. She is longer, rebounds better etc. So in that case two players would be at their natural position, Nika PG and Azzi SG. Paige would have an adjustment for sure, but i think she could do it well. I think Paige could be an All American at 3 positions, and while we don't have a track record with her at the 3, last year when Nika and Paige were on the floor together, Nika mostly at the point worked better than the other way around, so I think Paige has at least for SG proved that she can be just as good there as at the point.

My "burden of proof" comment regarding KK applies just to the possibility of her being a prominent part of the rotation. She could easily spend the year learning under Paige and Nika and that is probably what most expect from her next year. My point is that if she does want to break into the rotation her freshmen year, she needs to approach the level of play of Aubrey or Caroline since they could handle the backup small minutes by themselves.

When Aubrey or Caroline was in the game, they would play mostly the 3. If they were both in the game at the same time one of them, probably Caroline would be the 2 and Aubrey the 3. You wouldn't have Azzi or Paige at the 3 if either Aubrey or Caroline was available. If Aubrey or Caroline came in for Nika, Paige or Azzi would move to the point.

If it was a 5 small rotation, then you could keep just about everyone in their natural position, or one where they are very comfortable. Nika at PG, Azzi at SG, Aubrey at SF, and Paige playing PG/SG, and Caroline SG/SF. That certainly looks like a very potent combination to me, so KK or anyone else trying to crack the rotation at 1-3 has a pretty high bar to clear, and be very good to force Geno to put them in the rotation.

Regardless it will be interesting. The sure thing is that everyone will have Paige and Azzi in the starting lineup. The debate will be between Nika, Caroline and Aubrey for the third small. If it is Nika, Paige or Azzi will need to be a 3. That would be an adjustment, and that is a fair point, but I don't think it would be that difficult for either player. I think we can forecast a long thread on this subject prior to next season!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom