Kirk Ferentz | The Boneyard

Kirk Ferentz

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Ferentz is finished at Iowa. He has been there a long time, and has only had 1 10+ win season since 2004. .500 is probably his upside for this year, and the Iowa fans are getting a little tired of him. I think Iowa has just kind of reached the end of the road with Ferentz.

I think he is a very good coach that has some serious competitive disadvantages in that league because he is in Iowa. He is probably not getting another Big 4 conference job when he is fired, so I think he would listen if UConn approached him. He played at UConn.

This would be one reason to wait on Pasqualoni until year end.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Alright, I am taking a few days off from this board. It's become an insane asylum.

"Welcome to the online University of Connecticut Health Center psychiatric ward." Butchy February 2012 ;)

Reaction Score
Alright, I am taking a few days off from this board. It's become an insane asylum.

Not a bad idea. Holy cow. Our conference is in complete dissaray, we can't pay the next coach anywhere near what the bigger conferences pay, and someone thinks Ferenz would listen? If Ferenz gets canned, he is going to the NFL in some capacity, IMO.

U

UConn9604

Not a bad idea. Holy cow. Our conference is in complete dissaray, we can't pay the next coach anywhere near what the bigger conferences pay, and someone thinks Ferenz would listen? If Ferenz gets canned, he is going to the NFL in some capacity, IMO.

He also has very few true ties to Connecticut. Unlike most UConn students back in the 1970s, he was from out-of-state (Michigan) and hasn't coached in the State for 35 years.

I'd love to have him as I think he's an excellent coach and a change in scenery could do him well, but I just don't know if he loves his alma mater as much as most of us do.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He also has very few true ties to Connecticut. Unlike most UConn students back in the 1970s, he was from out-of-state (Michigan) and hasn't coached in the State for 35 years.

I'd love to have him as I think he's an excellent coach and a change in scenery could do him well, but I just don't know if he loves his alma mater as much as most of us do.

But Huskysupporter's point is still well taken: Does Ferentz love his alma mater to the tune of about 1.6 million dollars less than what he's making today at Iowa? Because that's the difference in his salary versus Pasqualoni's right now...

U

UConn9604

But Huskysupporter's point is still well taken: Does Ferentz love his alma mater to the tune of about 1.6 million dollars less than what he's making today at Iowa? Because that's the difference in his salary versus Pasqualoni's right now...

Right, and maybe you can bump that to $2M for the right hire but the bottom line is that if UConn hires a coach for $3M+, there will be more than one Ken Krayeske bashing him at press conferences...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
he has the worst rb curse ever on his shoulders

Reaction Score
I think we can pay a coach, the university just needs to budget for it. The idea that we "can't afford" a higher priced coach seems presumptuous. JC was paid an amount that he agreed to for everyone's benefit. I am pretty sure he could have squeezed more out of UConn if he tried. There was talk at some point that JC didn't desire to be that guy. He felt his compensation was fair and he loved the university.

Reaction Score
Right, and maybe you can bump that to $2M for the right hire but the bottom line is that if UConn hires a coach for $3M+, there will be more than one Ken Krayeske bashing him at press conferences...

If that coach wins like Calhoun, hardly anyone will give a .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Do you think Ferentz will be an NFL Head Coach after Iowa cans him? That is crazy. And does a guy like Ferentz really want to go coach linebackers in the NFL at this point in his life? Do you think any Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 or B1G school is giving him a HC gig? I wouldn't be surprised if Ferentz ended up in the MAC or MWC when Iowa cans him at year end. If UConn can pay him $1.5MM it will be better than his other choices.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
IIRC Ferentz' contract was raised and extended a number of times. If Iowa does decide to get rid of him (they do receive B1G money) he will be pretty well set with the buyout.

I don't know how he feels about his alma mater but if he has any true affection for UConn it would not be ridiculous for him to come here for PP money.

Reaction Score
Do you think Ferentz will be an NFL Head Coach after Iowa cans him? That is crazy. And does a guy like Ferentz really want to go coach linebackers in the NFL at this point in his life? Do you think any Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 or B1G school is giving him a HC gig? I wouldn't be surprised if Ferentz ended up in the MAC or MWC when Iowa cans him at year end. If UConn can pay him $1.5MM it will be better than his other choices.

I think it is possible he becomes a head coach in the NFL, yes. And I think there is a much better chance of him joining an NFL team for a year or two while he waits for a desirable college head coaching position. Kirk Ferenz is well respected in the coaching world, bothNFL and NCAA. He will be in demand.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

It's certainly not out of the question. Look at how Frank Solich has had a nice little career at Ohio after his career at Nebraska ended. And the man is only getting paid 330k! So it could certainly happen.

http://college-football-coaches.findthedata.org/l/70/Frank-Solich

I fully expect a "Hire Solich" thread to start, now that everyone knows how low his salary is. He's a damned good coach, by the way! Nebraska was idiotic for letting him go...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it is possible he becomes a head coach in the NFL, yes. And I think there is a much better chance of him joining an NFL team for a year or two while he waits for a desirable college head coaching position. Kirk Ferenz is well respected in the coaching world, bothNFL and NCAA. He will be in demand.

Wow. A head coach in the NFL. I guess if you consider winning powerball possible anything is possible.

Reaction Score
Wow. A head coach in the NFL. I guess if you consider winning powerball possible anything is possible.

Ferenz is from the Bill Belicheck/Nick Saban coaching fraternity. Very well respected and his name always comes up when an NFL head coaching job comes open.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'd be wary of a guy at the end of his run being burnt out, or just not as passionate about the daily grind that is running a college FB program

Conversely, I'd be just as wary of the hot young assistant coach or coordinator who is leaving after one successful season. Neither is what we want or need.

I'd rather they find the right guy who has had some success, knows how to run a program has ties to our key recruiting areas NE, NY, NJ, PA AND can pull select guys from other areas. Someone who isn't just climbing the ladder but has enough left in tank.

I freely admit that I have no idea who that is but I know who it isn't.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think Ferentz is fantastic. Notre Dame wanted him, but his son was still an OL at Iowa. CT churns out more D-1 prospects tha IA.
I dont think he'd consider it though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the less I like it. I want a less scumbaggy Gus Malzahn. We have a 1970's offense and it is 2012. Ferentz may be 1980's or 1990's, but is still an artifact. The verdict is in. Mike Leach and Rodriguez won. Everyone is going spread for a reason, it is superior. Trying to move piles of bodies that are pushing back, trying to move you, is a losing offensive strategy.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the less I like it. I want a less scumbaggy Gus Malzahn. We have a 1970's offense and it is 2012. Ferentz may be 1980's or 1990's, but is still an artifact. The verdict is in. Mike Leach and Rodriguez won. Everyone is going spread for a reason, it is superior. Trying to move piles of bodies that are pushing back, trying to move you, is a losing offensive strategy.

Check out the offensive style of the BCS Champions.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Check out the offensive style of the BCS Champions.

So you think we should commit to a strategy that requires overwhelmingly physically superior athletes to be effective?

Reaction Score
So you think we should commit to a strategy that requires overwhelmingly physically superior athletes to be effective?

No, i think we should rely on a style that exposes mismatches and limits mistakes. Alabama runs a ton of playaction utilizing their tight ends. We should be doing the same. We aren't.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think he is a very good coach that has some serious competitive disadvantages in that league because he is in Iowa. He is probably not getting another Big 4 conference job when he is fired, so I think he would listen if UConn approached him. He played at UConn. [/quote]

Wasn't this fan base crucifying the PP hire because he was an older guy? Ferentz is about the same age, if not older. He hasn't been back to CT other than to recruit a handful of kids since his playing days were over in the mid-70's. Why does anyone think a) he has any interest whatsoever or b) he would be a good hire?

Reaction Score

I've been saying this for a while, but the rules have changed to favor the wide open game. The pass interference is called much closer than when p and D were running this offense. Also you can no longer have head hunting safeties that make receivers fear to over the middle because almost any big hit to a receiver over the middle is deemed excessive. The defenseless receiver thing. The notion that hou need to be a power running team in the northeast is out dated at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom