Kinda over looked | The Boneyard

Kinda over looked

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you look at the box score, nearly all the team stats were very close, with a few exceptions. The ones that were close included:

Field goals made: 26 each
Turnovers: Baylor 12, UConn 13 (this was very different in the first half)
Fouls: 15 each
Steals: 6 each

Some stats were in UConn's favor:

FG percentage: UConn 43.3%; Baylor 39.4%
3-point makes and percentage: UConn 8-17 (47.1%), Baylor 2-9 (22.2%)
Blocks: UConn 10, Baylor 5 (that's a surprise!)

Other stats favored Baylor:

Free throw makes and percentage: Baylor 13-20 (65%), UConn 9-16 (56%)
Offensive rebounds: Baylor 16, UConn 12 (not nearly as lopsided as I thought)
Assists: Baylor (13 on 26 made FG's), UConn (9 on 26 made FG's)
FG's attempted: Baylor 66, UConn 60

Overall, an extremely even game between extremely equal teams. UConn's low assist rate (and Paige's zero assists for the game) may be a concern going forward.

Reaction Score
If you look at the box score, nearly all the team stats were very close, with a few exceptions. The ones that were close included:

Overall, an extremely even game between extremely equal teams. UConn's low assist rate (and Paige's zero assists for the game) may be a concern going forward.
lots of things to improve from this game.. not sure if I'm as concerned about the lack of assists, as a whole or for Paige. Baylor's defense made this a game where UConn had to go 1on1 quite a bit. And Paige always does what the team needs in a given game. Their defense did a good job of forcing UConn to have to change their offense's preferred style of play.

Reaction Score
lots of things to improve from this game.. not sure if I'm as concerned about the lack of assists, as a whole or for Paige. Baylor's defense made this a game where UConn had to go 1on1 quite a bit. And Paige always does what the team needs in a given game. Their defense did a good job of forcing UConn to have to change their offense's preferred style of play.
That’s exactly what happened. They forced UCONN into a game they don’t prefer. That’s why no assists for Paige and more dribbling and less passing. Baylor has the athletes to pull it off. Not sure anyone else can do it. But this game also showed how great Paige is. She adjusted and went one on one with them. CW as well. They were forced to plan B and won.

Reaction Score

I think Paige decided she had to score, not dish.

Reaction Score
Baylor's length caused issues throughout. Passing lanes were cut off .
That’s exactly what happened. They forced UCONN into a game they don’t prefer. That’s why no assists for Paige and more dribbling and less passing. Baylor has the athletes to pull it off. Not sure anyone else can do it. But this game also showed how great Paige is. She adjusted and went one on one with them. CW as well. They were forced to plan B and won.

Reaction Score
I also think Mulkey was more concerned about Paige’s passing than scoring.

Paige can both score at will and get the whole team involved. If the whole UConn offense starts running, Baylor was in trouble.

But force UConn into a one on one game..where really only CW and Paige can burn Baylor - and they can keep up offensively.

I though UConn missed Nika in a lot of ways last night, but one huge way is her additional passing ability to spread the floor. That extra passing would have helped UConn.

Reaction Score
I think Paige decided she had to score, not dish.
I think that shows so much growth for Paige. She was scoring from the beginning. I think December Paige would have stubbornly tried to pass the first half before trying to score. That would have resulted in a loss. She is a quick learner.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That's absolutely correct, and in my opinion it is a potentially BIG problem! From Geno's comments about how they had to "get back to doing what we do everyday" and "running our stuff", I think his view is the same -- one-on-one play is not UConn basketball, and is not a reliably winning formula. It reduces the game to just a contest of athleticism and one-on-one skills, and that is what Baylor wanted and succeeded in getting. With Richards out of the game and Aubrey playing well, UConn had the slightest of edges in athleticism and 1-on-1 skill, and that decided the game. But UConn needs to figure out how to run its normal stuff against an athletic defense.

Maybe they won't need it this week, i.e., this season. But they will need it before they graduate.

Reaction Score
Did you ever notice how when Paige gets a steal that she dribbles faster than the players chasing her. That's in response to someone posting on the board that Paige was too slow. Also, for her slight frame, she is damn tough.
When a freshman, or anyone for that mater, is in the running for POY and people complain about them it tells you a lot about them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom