Kinda OT for here: Geno and Wooden LOL | The Boneyard

Kinda OT for here: Geno and Wooden LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay I can't respond over "there" so I need to ask other fans here if this sounds as ridiculous to you as it does to me? I do understand they like to compare the 2 in a relative manner but to now make it sound like John Wooden not only can be compared to Geno but now "he doesn't play in comparison"? And people wonder how it is so tough to be a fan of the women as much as the men? LOL

Hilarious that this person dares to talk about the NCAA tourney being smaller - it still had more teams in it with a chance to win than the womens tourney, how nieve are these fans?

There's no doubt that Wooden was a great coach - but I think his accomplishments pale in comparison to Geno for two reasons: (this statement is so fn funny)

1. The UCLA players for many years received huge amounts of illegal benefits from Sam Gilbert. Cars, free apartments, etc, etc, etc. How would UCLA recruiting have been affected without paying the players? Had the NCAA ever done a complete investigation of the program, they likely would have had to vacate at least some of their titles. As it was, they waited until Wooden retired and then put them on probation.

2. The NCAA tournament at that time was much smaller and set up strictly by geography. Thus UCLA many times only had to beat two good teams to win the championship - and never more than three.

Reaction Score
well i'm convinced. Geno is clearly the best coach in the history of coaches. wooden, who?

Reaction Score
One is considered the best men's coach of all time and one is considered the best women's coach. That is why they are always paired together. Arguing who's resume or titles are more impressive is a waste of time. But it is not absurd to pair them together.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I listened to the podcast Geno had with Lowe about people comparing him to Wooden and he laughed at the absurdity of that comparison. BTW Geno was a big fan of Wooden's and always took the spread betting on Wooden's team as a kid. There are times I listen to that interview and think Geno and fishy are one and the same.

That second statement is laughable given that there is a regional venue draw for women's bb and UConn has tremendously benefited from that draw.

But taking OTT statements and generalizing them to the entire fan base isn't any less silly imo. This forum has plenty of OTT statements.

Geno is arguably one of the best coaches ever and as mr. gas points out there are valid reasons they are compared. Although there won't be 100% consensus who cares. We should all be lucky to reach the status of either one of these guys and many others who we love to ridicule.

I recommend anyone having the time should listen to that podcast. Geno remembers a boatload of games ( men's, women's, professional) in detail going back decades.

Reaction Score
The way everyone has always sainted Wooden annoys me. He was a great coach in a time with no parity and he was as dirty as they come, coach K is a better coach.

I'm guessing you weren't even born by the time Wooden retired.

The truth, in the times that Wooden dominated, he didn't need Sam Gilbert. He got EVERY California kid you wanted & the Kareem, Hazzards, etc were eager to come. Recruiting was scant reflection of today. My Dad was a college coach; my older brother was well recruited. I can tell you that the world changed drastically a little after 1980; that's when what we see today evolved.

Dismissing Wooden is Fools Gold. No one challenged them in those years.

I do see parallel to Auriemma. Just not worth getting into that chat topic.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The two points made are correct ( illegal bennies and smaller tourney)
But there are other points (Wooden won his over fewer years, Wooden had more competition) that are ignored.
Two great coaches who dominated their sport. The best yet in either sport. That's all that needs be said.
As far as the comparison, they should listen to Geno.

Mau, don't you think equally crazy, biased things have been said here?

Reaction Score
The two points made are correct ( illegal bennies and smaller tourney)
But there are other points (Wooden won his over fewer years, Wooden had more competition) that are ignored.
Two great coaches who dominated their sport. The best yet in either sport. That's all that needs be said.
As far as the comparison, they should listen to Geno.

Mau, don't you think equally crazy, biased things have been said here?

No I don't. Gene is the best women's coach ever and to be honest, it's not close. Summit had a long illustrious career but nothing in compared to how quickly Geno has brough dominance to the womens' game.

But neither can be compared at all to any job a mens hoops coach has don and it's not close - not bias just can't be compared for obvious reasons.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, But we have people that think all of the men's team will be All Americans or first round picks and that we are going to win an NC every year.

Reaction Score
Wooden's UCLA program was one of the dirtiest in history. Players were given cash, cars and apartments. Boosters had a seat at the table and access to the players and program.

No one seems to mention that when Wooden's name is mentioned.

Reaction Score
The way everyone has always sainted Wooden annoys me. He was a great coach in a time with no parity and he was as dirty as they come, coach K is a better coach.
Do you think that there is parity in the women's game today? Ridiculous comparison, different sports.

Reaction Score
Wooden's UCLA program was one of the dirtiest in history. Players were given cash, cars and apartments. Boosters had a seat at the table and access to the players and program.

No one seems to mention that when Wooden's name is mentioned.

I see your jaundiced eye & you obviously watched those teams.

I simply say: it was a different time. 1961-1975 did not have NCAA enforcement like today. Things went on and, as long as they weren't blatant, there wasn't truly the view we have today. Sam Gilbert was interacting with players like no one would be allowed today. But, that was never the focus of the rules. I think the fear of the NCAA was gambling - which came out of the 1951 scandals. Was the rest of the Pa 8 (before Arizona & Arizona State) like that? No. They mostly sucked and didn't put the emphasis on hoop that the Bruins did. But I am damn sure Kentucky was feeding kids all kinds of benefits. NC State teams with Burleson & David Thompson? Absolutely.

The second point is absolutely true: Wooden didn't need that. All the California kids went because it was UCLA; where the hell else would they go then? That, frankly, was 80% of his great players. Every damn kid from Berkeley/SF through the Central Valley and the Valley and through the LA basin down to San Diego (Walton and RIP David Meyers). That remained til at least 1985. Yes, I have a UCLA degree as well as a UConn degree. (1984/1979)

Gilbert really didn't give Wooden an advantage. It was just excess of a guy that wanted to feel like he was part of the huge success. Alcindor and Hazzard and others came to UCLA not because of the $$$.

Reaction Score
Do you think that there is parity in the women's game today? Ridiculous comparison, different sports.
There is no parity in the women's game and I would never compare Geno to a men's coach, the men's and women's game are two entirely different sports. I was only expressing my feelings on Wooden.

Reaction Score
it's kind of a tired discussion. I'm not as much of a fan of the women because they win by 50 points almost every game, but that's also really, really impressive. They win by so much that it's boring to pay attention to them.

geno's a boss

Reaction Score
Ehh! I dont really care much for the womens game. I prefer my women in the kitchen or the bedroom not the hardwood. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom