Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements?

Reaction Score
I ran track back then. Jerome Young was ridiculous in high school, best track and field athlete in the country and had the second fastest 400 time ever in high school. The things Young and Tony Ortiz at Crosby were doing on the track back then were insane.
One more guy sprinter was amazing then - Aaron Haynes from Wilbur Cross. He and Ortiz were neck and neck in the 110HH, and I’m pretty sure Haynes ran a sub 38 second 300IH.
Young usually ran 46 point in the 4, but had that crazy 45.01 at nationals.

Reaction Score
Shows you how much of the game is mental.
I ripped my quad muscle playing softball in a beer league. Like an idiot, I kept playing but didn't do further damage. After I got hurt, I started smoking the ball. Hit 3 straight home runs. Someone on the team said it was because I hurt my quad so I wasn't stepping into the pitches and I was just using my upper body. Everyone laughed at the guy.

Reaction Score
After being forced to do this by the gym teacher in Junior High, I made 28 out of 31 foul shots and advanced to round 2 at another gym in another Junior High School.

At that time, I made 12 out of 30.

I never played competitive basketball in my life, and the 28 out of 31 was a fluke.

But well, I had my moment of glory.

Reaction Score
Pitched no-hitter and won the game 1-0 with a homer in last inning against state runner-up in high school.
Starting pitcher in college D1, we were ranked #1 in the country for two weeks in my junior year. We were 37-1 at that time.
Drafted in 4th round. Made it to AAA my second year (won regular season championship) then blew out my shoulder. Never to be heard from again.

12th man on a 12 man team in HS basketball (baseball coach was the head coach). We were the last team that Moses Malone's team lost to in high school. Of course, he was a sophomore at the time. I had a great seat from the bench for that game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was a dodgeball wizard at Tinker School gym in the late 60's :)

Coached the Mickey Mantle State Champions in 2003

Coach Babe Ruth District Champions in 2000

Otherwise just your typical gym rat, playing sandlot 24/7/365

Reaction Score
This is random, but I am really, really, really friggen good at ping pong compared to most people. By no means am I competitive, but there's a good shot I could beat 99% of people. Can't play any other racquet sport well.

I went to the YMCA almost every single day after school from 6th-grade to 10th-grade with my friends. When we were sick of playing basketball, we would go play ping pong with a group of retired old Korean guys that were absolutely disgustingly good. One of them bought us all fancy competitive paddles for Christmas one year and our game really took off.

Reaction Score
I hit a halfcourt shot to win a tournament for our aau team when I was 17 in Europe in an international tournament and it only happened because we tried to call a timeout and they didn’t allow it because it wasn’t a dead ball when the other (Spain) team scored with 6 seconds left. We didn’t prep for any international rules.

Reaction Score
On a track and field spring break trip to Margarita Island (pre-commie Venezuela), I won the Mr. Sexy Man contest. And, man, I was such a good boy - I didn’t cheat on my girlfriend with the hot senior hurdler who gave me her panties to help me win the most bras received from the crowd contest. I kinda regret that one.

Reaction Score
Won best passer at basketball camp two summers in a row. It was admittedly not a camp targeted at prospective d1 players, mostly a regular bball camp held at the Storrs campus.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
twice All-state in Cross Country, once honorable mention AA. Member of two class M Cross Country championship teams.

starting stopper on undefeated Tidewater area championship soccer team (military tournament in greater Norfolk area).

played the critical position called "left out" on my high school varsity basketball team...saw action if we were up or down 20 pts AND the coach remembered by name...scored 7 points for the season

Reaction Score
twice All-state in Cross Country, once honorable mention AA. Member of two class M Cross Country championship teams.

starting stopper on undefeated Tidewater area championship soccer team (military tournament in greater Norfolk area).

played the critical position called "left out" on my high school varsity basketball team...saw action if we were up or down 20 pts AND the coach remembered by name...scored 7 points for the season
Groff?

Reaction Score
That’s pretty dang impressive!

I was a college baseball and basketball player but I was no good at either in the grand scheme, I don’t know that I ever threw a 1 hitter at any level. Definitely not against a future stud.
Thanks! It was a good day when everything was clicking. I never got a hit off of him and he really improved since then haha

Reaction Score
Baseball was my game. 2 HRs a double and a single my career game. In the championship game when it counted most I made the defensive gem of the game with a diving stop. My last year of basketball I scored 7 pts; all year. In 2004 we were down 3-0 to those Damn Yankees but came to back to beat them and win the World Series. Oh wait that wasn’t me that was the Red Sox! ‘Nuff Said. But my favorite sports moment ever, when Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in a single game. I’m actually watching Force 10 From Navarone right now. And it was my daughter with the better sport’s accomplishments than me. She did play a year in college, hung her volleyball shoes up for good when a psychotic coach took all of the fun out of the game. No lie the day after she retired she looked, well happy walked taller looked better. Sports can be bad medicine too.

Reaction Score
I was on the bottom the dog pile twice. I kicked field goals on our football team. Our sophomore and junior years we may have won a single game. Senior year I drilled two game winners. We still sucked… but we moved from being a laughing stock to a respectable laughing stock (.500ish record). We were ok with that.

Reaction Score
When I joined the rugby team at Boston U., having never played before, we had an away game at Yale. This was a week after I joined the team at the start of school. My family showed up to watch. I scored the winning try. For years afterward, my Dad talked about my great Rugby exploits. I was never really all that good. I hardly knew the sport. The highlight was Rugby tours in Jamaica and the Bahamas on Spring Break. Never played again after leaving for Study Abroad in junior year. My Dad still kept asking about the Rugby team and whether I considered taking it more seriously.
Dads....I lost my dad a month ago. I once scored 29 points in a game and had the game winning block...against a bad team. The way he told the story to anyone who would listen made me sound like the second coming of Jordan lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just this last weekend, my brother-in-law and I dominated a bunch of college kids in cornhole on the beach in Brigantine. It was hot and the beers were hitting me but I fought through and we won about 15 games in a row. Then I was asleep by 8pm…

There are a bunch of high school, college multi-sport and slow pitch softball accolades years ago, but knowing I still have it tossing beanbags gives me a warm fuzzy.
For what it's worth, I love Brigantine. Highly underrated beach.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Made a free throw at half time at an Atlanta Hawks game back in the late 70’s (in high heels, only given one attempt).

Won a sports trivia contest at the ESPN bar at Disney World in the late 90’s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom