Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kinda boring here; Anyone care to brag about past personal sporting achievements?

Reaction Score
I ran track back then. Jerome Young was ridiculous in high school, best track and field athlete in the country and had the second fastest 400 time ever in high school. The things Young and Tony Ortiz at Crosby were doing on the track back then were insane.
He beat me by close to 80 yards...it was insane. Got toasted by Tebucky Jones, Kyle and Ian Mcintosh of Cheshire in the same 100 heat and it wasn't pretty. Those guys were fast also!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I pitched a one hitter beating Madison Bumgarner in high school. I like to think that inspired him to win two World Series championships and sportsman of the year

That’s pretty dang impressive!

I was a college baseball and basketball player but I was no good at either in the grand scheme, I don’t know that I ever threw a 1 hitter at any level. Definitely not against a future stud.

Reaction Score
Not too much.

Two time hot shot winner at basketball camp (I drained a lot of 3s in a short amount of time, more than anyone else), 2nd place baseball team in little league, 2nd place cross country team in states in high school, most improved award for tennis. Some holes in one in mini golf including a 41 for 18 holes at a course in Old Saybrook which isn't too bad IMO. I think that's about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Freshman football team went undefeated and unscored upon, 10-0. I was the star running back.

Won the basketball tourney in high school and was title game MVP (33 points).
Nice! Flip side to your coin: my Freshman team LOST every game & was shutout every game. EXCEPT for our final game-we lost something like 48-6. Other team was wondering why we celebrated like crazy when we got a meaningless TD at the end of the game

Reaction Score
When I joined the rugby team at Boston U., having never played before, we had an away game at Yale. This was a week after I joined the team at the start of school. My family showed up to watch. I scored the winning try. For years afterward, my Dad talked about my great Rugby exploits. I was never really all that good. I hardly knew the sport. The highlight was Rugby tours in Jamaica and the Bahamas on Spring Break. Never played again after leaving for Study Abroad in junior year. My Dad still kept asking about the Rugby team and whether I considered taking it more seriously.

Reaction Score
used to do the spartan races competitively and finished top 50ish overall for the season in point total...then more pros starting competing and I couldn't hang

won the nutmeg games in CT a few times for soccer, open cup, and bunch of other tournaments around NE back in the day

Reaction Score
I pitched a one hitter beating Madison Bumgarner in high school. I like to think that inspired him to win two World Series championships and sportsman of the year
Which school did you pitch for, as I taught Madison Bumgarner in middle school. My son has a friend who’s claim to fame is he got a single off of Madison Bumgarner.

Reaction Score
He beat me by close to 80 yards...it was insane. Got toasted by Tebucky Jones, Kyle and Ian Mcintosh of Cheshire in the same 100 heat and it wasn't pretty. Those guys were fast also!
There were some freak athletes in CT back then and then a few years later you had Freeney and those other dudes on the Bloomfield football teams.

Reaction Score
I was the backup center in my middle school rec league. Only scored 2 points on the year. Starting center doesn't show up for the championship game. I scored 25 points and pulled down a ton of boards. Everything clicked for me that day. It was a surreal experience, as everything was moving so fast because I was inexperienced, but somehow, I managed to lead the way to victory.

Had a similar moment of clarity moment. In a senior league all-stars, I started the game pitching...with a broken ankle, mind you...I walked the first five batters...I then tried throwing a curveball for the first time in my life, and it clicked...in fact, the curve was devastating. We won in 6 innings due to a ten-run rule. I didn't allow another baserunner. I struck out 17.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
JV year we literally beat every team we played by 20 points or more.

Reaction Score
I was the backup center in my middle school rec league. Only scored 2 points on the year. Starting center doesn't show up for the championship game. I scored 25 points and pulled down a ton of boards. Everything clicked for me that day. It was a surreal experience, as everything was moving so fast because I was inexperienced, but somehow, I managed to lead the way to victory.

Had a similar moment of clarity moment. In a senior league all-stars, I started the game pitching...with a broken ankle, mind you...I walked the first five batters...I then tried throwing a curveball for the first time in my life, and it clicked...in fact, the curve was devastating. We won in 6 innings due to a ten-run rule. I didn't allow another baserunner. I struck out 17.

Shows you how much of the game is mental.

Reaction Score
My accomplishments as a coach matter much more to me because I get to see other people succeed. I've coached MMA/Muay Thai, XC, track and field, and basketball.
  • Basketball
    • 1 HS conference championship.
    • Never had a losing season.
    • From high school--4 kids on college rosters (maybe 3? I'm forgetting)
    • From AAU--probably a dozen kids D1, 1 professional player.
  • Track and field--I coached sprinters and jumpers.
    • I believe 6 kids from track and field are on D1 rosters.
    • 1 state championship in track and field (boys)
    • 2 conference championships in T&F (1 boys, 1 girls)
  • XC
    • 1 state championship in XC
    • I think 3 conference championships in XC
  • MMA/Muay Thai
    • Nothing really exciting, but I did corner a UFC fight a few years ago.
thats awesome! who did you corner?

Reaction Score
While serving in the Army stationed in Savannah Georgia my roommate invited me to join the Savannah Rugby Club. I'd never seen it in person, never mind played the sport, and so my roommate convinced me to check out a game.

When we arrived I was surprised over the scope of the production...the opposition was a club from Denmark and the stands held well over 200 people, there were 40 or so people on the sidelines including coaches. The uniforms were really nice.

So my roommate introduces me to the coach during the game, coach shakes my hand and says "what size cleats?". I tell him, he finds me a pair and PUTS ME IN. Coach tells me to tackle anyone who runs at me, and if I get the ball I run "that way".

A few minutes in someone comes running at me, I wrap him up around the waist, pick him up and drop him on his shoulder and get a huge attaboy from a few of my new teammates. Feeling prideful at this point, a short while later someone is tackled and the ball goes to the ground and starts to roll...I break into a sprint from the spot coach told me to be, throw a forearm, a few shoulders and dive on the loose ball.

All of the action immediately stopped, I'm talking guys from both teams standing there in a circle looking down at me while I'm in the fetal position wrapped around the ball. The ref walks into the circle and says, "you can't do that".

Reaction Score
Captain of my HS football team. I Moss’d Tyler Coyle and Jason Pinnock on the same play (see pfp). Also scored the first TD on Plainville’s turf field in the last game of my career.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone can beat that. Wow.
Thanks. It’s a cool claim to fame. I was almost a preferred walk on at Western Carolina U but they gave that spot to Greg Holland after watching us play each other. He ended up being an all star and closing out the World Series for the royals. They chose right lol. Tommy John got me after 3 years in DII

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If poker is a sport, I won the 2nd annual South Campus winner-take-all poker tourney back in '78. iirc, take was $800.

Was on 2 separate Stamford city champion softball teams, one Sunday rec, other corporate. Batted over .700 for both. Wasn't the star on either as was more a gap guy than a true power bat. But scored a crapton of runs.

Reaction Score
In lunchtime football my senior year in high school, one of the kids dropped the ball and I recovered the fumble. Only moment in football career. Kids also said i did good at frisbee during lunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom