Kimani at the game for Abdou Toure | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kimani at the game for Abdou Toure

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The last I looked basketball at public high schools is an activity that students can participate in
They are not “progams” who is goal is to prepare students to be college or professional players
High school basketball is supposed to be something that students the community and the players can have fun doing and hopefully learn some values of competition, teamwork, making friends, etc.
To me that doesn’t “suck”
If talented players and their parents want to choose not to go to a public school I don’t see how that’s anybody’s business but theirs
I guess in your way,of thinking the fact that 10 or 15 talented players are not playing at state high schools that somehow high school basketball is diminished
Diminished for who?
Certainly not for those who coach and participate
Eh, some public high schools for sure operate as programs. Just not a lot. It’s crazy the amount of talent New Haven can split between all their different schools. Don’t know why Hartford isn’t the same way. A strong Weaver and Bulkeley would help CT HS Basketball a lot.

Reaction Score
I never really saw Catholic schools being that big of a problem playing public schools. In the 860 there’s only two of them and they go through their ups and downs just like everyone else.

Maybe it’s more of a problem in the 203? But even then there’s Hillhouse, New London had Kris Dunn at a point, and Bridgeport Central can be good some years as well. Doug Wiggins came from East Hartford and so did Khari Beaufort.

Maybe I just haven’t paid very close attention in a few years but back when I played I never noticed Catholic schools being that big of a deal to play against.
Hillhouse last won a championship
In 2017
Bpt Central 2013
Since the CIAC went to The Div 1 concept
In2018
Both finalists have been Catholic Schools
No 2020
And 2021 due to Covid but fair to say
East Catholic and ndwh would haven been favorites
Ct city Schools have not dominated hs
Basketball like they once did
Lots of reasons but certainly players going to Catholic schools
And prep schools is part of it

Reaction Score
Eh, some public high schools for sure operate as programs. Just not a lot. It’s crazy the amount of talent New Haven can split between all their different schools. Don’t know why Hartford isn’t the same way. A strong Weaver and Bulkeley would help CT HS Basketball a lot.
They’re actually has not been a lot of talent coming out of New Haven like there was in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s (tremont waters the last player recruited at the national level)
New Haven has always had three schools to divide the talent
And why would a strong weaver and Buckley help ct basketball a lot?

Reaction Score
I don’t blame Kris for making that happen tbh when you’re that close. New London was so good then.

I remember the first time I saw him at a jamboree in lay up lines his junior year. He and a teammate of his treated it like a dunk contest throwing lobs off the backwall (not backboard) to themselves. In game, he caught an OOB alley oop dunk with 2 hands down the middle of the lane. I don’t remember who his teammate was but I think they won a championship that year in L.

That’s a whole lot of moving from Vin though. Transferring to schools 30 mins away is wild.
I think it was Allan Chaney. I played in the same conference as them while they were at NL and they would just toy with us. Remember Kris as a freshman would put kids on skates regardless of if he was playing us country folk or someone better hahah

Reaction Score
The last I looked basketball at public high schools is an activity that students can participate in
They are not “progams” who is goal is to prepare students to be college or professional players
High school basketball is supposed to be something that students the community and the players can have fun doing and hopefully learn some values of competition, teamwork, making friends, etc.
To me that doesn’t “suck”
If talented players and their parents want to choose not to go to a public school I don’t see how that’s anybody’s business but theirs
I guess in your way,of thinking the fact that 10 or 15 talented players are not playing at state high schools that somehow high school basketball is diminished
Diminished for who?
Certainly not for those who coach and participate
More competition raises the play of everyone, it adds interest and excitement to communities. I disagree with everything you're saying, kids getting scholarships to play sports and getting college educations is a great thing and should be the goal. Look at Dan Hurley's father, he got all those kids free rides to college through basketball. That benefitted so many kids, their families, the kids they went on to have. It improved the overall community.

Connecticut high school basketball used to send a ton of kids on to full ride basketball scholarships in the 70's and 80's. The public schools sent far less since. There's been so many kids who would've made it out of Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, New Britain had there been better programs in the following decades. There was a lot of wasted talent. That's a bad/sad thing.

Reaction Score
Old Saybrook wasn't good then or ever really, so not sure why Vin Baker transferred there. Old Saybrook was our conference and they were way better the two years he was there.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hillhouse last won a championship
In 2017
Bpt Central 2013
Since the CIAC went to The Div 1 concept
In2018
Both finalists have been Catholic Schools
No 2020
And 2021 due to Covid but fair to say
East Catholic and ndwh would haven been favorites
Ct city Schools have not dominated hs
Basketball like they once did
Lots of reasons but certainly players going to Catholic schools
And prep schools is part of it
Ahhh I see. I haven’t paid attention at all post COVID since some of the kids I were familiar with graduated. Didn’t know the tides have turned that far. I did notice Windsor just beat East Catholic this past week so there is hope for the public’s just yet!

They’re actually has not been a lot of talent coming out of New Haven like there was in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s (tremont waters the last player recruited at the national level)
New Haven has always had three schools to divide the talent
And why would a strong weaver and Buckley help ct basketball a lot?
I remember Career, Wilbur Cross, and Hillhouse always fielding great to solid teams. Even back when Hyde used to be open they won some state championships. It was crazy how they used to all be pretty good at the same time.

Hartford should produce way more talent than it does and the talent would go to those two schools most likely. Making for a more competitive 860 than East Catholic, Northwest, and Windsor taking turns winning the CCC that year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think it was Allan Chaney. I played in the same conference as them while they were at NL and they would just toy with us. Remember Kris as a freshman would put kids on skates regardless of if he was playing us country folk or someone better hahah
I wonder if he played D1 after. He definitely seemed like he had the talent for it.

That’ll happen when you’re playing the #1 PG in the country at the time too lol

Reaction Score
More competition raises the play of everyone, it adds interest and excitement to communities. I disagree with everything you're saying, kids getting scholarships to play sports and getting college educations is a great thing and should be the goal. Look at Dan Hurley's father, he got all those kids free rides to college through basketball. That benefitted so many kids, their families, the kids they went on to have. It improved the overall community.

Connecticut high school basketball used to send a ton of kids on to full ride basketball scholarships in the 70's and 80's. The public schools sent far less since. There's been so many kids who would've made it out of Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Waterbury, New Britain had there been better programs in the following decades. There was a lot of wasted talent. That's a bad/sad thing.
It would take way too much time comment
On all of what you’ve said
But the the narrative of “made it out “
Of ct cities I find insulting to the schools and the cities
On the test we will just have to disagree

Reaction Score
Ahhh I see. I haven’t paid attention at all post COVID since some of the kids I were familiar with graduated. Didn’t know the tides have turned that far. I did notice Windsor just beat East Catholic this past week so there is hope for the public’s just yet!

I remember Career, Wilbur Cross, and Hillhouse always fielding great to solid teams. Even back when Hyde used to be open they won some state championships. It was crazy how they used to all be pretty good at the same time.

Hartford should produce way more talent than it does and the talent would go to those two schools most likely. Making for a more competitive 860 than East Catholic, Northwest, and Windsor taking turns winning the CCC that year.
Wilbur cross last one a state championsjip
In 1985

Reaction Score
It would take way too much time comment
On all of what you’ve said
But the the narrative of “made it out “
Of ct cities I find insulting to the schools and the cities
On the test we will just have to disagree
Made it out- went to college, got a college education, played basketball in college, saw and experienced more of the world.

How is that insulting?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wilbur cross last one a state championsjip
In 1985
Yeah Wilbur Cross is the reason I put “solid” in there lmao

Point being, Hartford needs to find a way to better field some of the talent it has like the New Haven schools have done. It would help a lot to level the playing field (because I assume you still have to pay to go to the Catholic schools?)

Reaction Score
Yeah Wilbur Cross is the reason I put “solid” in there lmao

Point being, Hartford needs to find a way to better field some of the talent it has like the New Haven schools have done. It would help a lot to level the playing field (because I assume you still have to pay to go to the Catholic schools?)
On the list of things that could be improved in public schools in the city having a basketball team
That’s better than they currently are wouldn’t make any list
As info the chef versus O’Neill’s decision has led to multiple high schools within the city, even within Weaver high school itself
Hey, most of the city schools have small enrollments now with a very big focus on career education
Some of those schools are not located within Hartford itself, but open to hard for students

Reaction Score
1709403997433.jpeg

Reaction Score
Weaver, Hartford public and Bulkely don’t really exist anymore. They are some kind of magnet schools with low enrollment. Bulkely hasn’t even been open in a few years, sending the kids to other satellite schools while the construction project goes on….kind of.

Those schools had a lot of talent up until the mid 2000’s. All of the magnet schools kind of ruined part of the community pride and sports pride for those schools which were a huge deal.

At the same time, there were some good reasons for it too

Reaction Score
L I’m l.
Made it out- went to college, got a college education, played basketball in college, saw and experienced more of the world.

How is that insulting?
Not going to bore the rest of the board with this
Discussion
We will have to agree to disagree
Peace

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Weaver, Hartford public and Bulkely don’t really exist anymore. They are some kind of magnet schools with low enrollment. Bulkely hasn’t even been open in a few years, sending the kids to other satellite schools while the construction project goes on….kind of.

Those schools had a lot of talent up until the mid 2000’s. All of the magnet schools kind of ruined part of the community pride and sports pride for those schools which were a huge deal.

At the same time, there were some good reasons for it too
Shows how out of touch I’ve been over the years. That’s unfortunate. Even though like you said there are probably some good reasons for it but damn.

I guess that’s why championship games have been played at UHart recently to replace Bulkeley too? Now I really wonder where those guys go to play if the Hartford public schools don’t take sports as serious anymore.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Shows how out of touch I’ve been over the years. That’s unfortunate. Even though like you said there are probably some good reasons for it but damn.

I guess that’s why championship games have been played at UHart recently to replace Bulkeley too? Now I really wonder where those guys go to play if the Hartford public schools don’t take sports as serious anymore.
Northwest and east catholic I'm guessing

Reaction Score
I remember in the late 80s and early 90s they used to play a high school tournament at the old New Haven Coliseum that featured the top CT public school programs like Harding, Wilbur Cross, Bridgeport Central etc.

Reaction Score
Kids being recruited to other towns/schools is reality.
Hell I have first person knowledge of a shoreline HS GIRLS basketball/volleyball school that had a dynasty in both sports having girls from other towns living at players families houses so they could play for that school. Everyone in town knew. From the Board of Ed down.
This is not hearsay. If that happens with a class M girls basketball and Volleyball what ya think happens in boy basketball and football

Reaction Score
I remember in the late 80s and early 90s they used to play a high school tournament at the old New Haven Coliseum that featured the top CT public school programs like Harding, Wilbur Cross, Bridgeport Central etc.
Remember 1990
Tolentine hs with red Autry current Syracuse
Coach Malik Sealy who I believe played in the nba
Quite a team
Was watching by myself and at half time
Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with
The late Tom Konchalski(the famed hs basketball evaluator) just a friendly and unassuming guy and had a great conversation
Told me he liked the nh coliseum as it was a easy walk to the train station (he never drove a car)

Reaction Score
Who did you play for?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom