Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey to LSU [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yes she moved to Louisiana for junior high, but spent the first decade of her life in the town next door to KLS's.
I don't know if that's true. She's stated in this interview about her Naismith Hall of Fame induction "I grew up in a rural area in the country. If you mailed me a letter it would have Tickfaw, Louisiana on it. Integration hit when I was going into the 2nd grade so I was bussed to all of the public schools in Hammond. So, each year there was a different grade at each school so I have been to every school in Hammond because of integration. I have so much in that area that is home to me."

Reaction Score
I don't know if that's true. She's stated in this interview about her Naismith Hall of Fame induction "I grew up in a rural area in the country. If you mailed me a letter it would have Tickfaw, Louisiana on it. Integration hit when I was going into the 2nd grade so I was bussed to all of the public schools in Hammond. So, each year there was a different grade at each school so I have been to every school in Hammond because of integration. I have so much in that area that is home to me."

Have ya tried google?

Reaction Score

Have ya tried google?

From her biography:
"When I was a still a baby my father's military commitment ended and move our family back to Hammond where his family owned land."

Reaction Score
Yes she moved to Louisiana for junior high, but spent the first decade of her life in the town next door to KLS's.
She speaks with a Louisiana accent. One can’t get more “home” than that.

Reaction Score
All I know is she constantly references Louisiana as home and not California.

She did most of her schooling there, where a lot of her friends are and family, college career and beginning of her coaching career.

Reaction Score
1619136539375.png

Reaction Score
Google says Orange County in California, just like Lou. I don't know why this upsets people. California is a great state as it has produced some of our best players.

Reaction Score
Google says Orange County in California, just like Lou. I don't know why this upsets people. California is a great state as it has produced some of our best players.

Did you read the two pages I just posted above FROM HER BIOGRAPHY?
She was born in CA but moved to LA when she was a baby.

LA is home.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Have ya tried google?

An odd question. It’s possible @CBus13 came up with that info from Googling. In any case your charge made me curious enough to Google myself and I uncovered this same quote from multiple sources, plus Wikipedia cites that Mulkey spent her childhood in Ticksaw. I only came across Google info to say she was born in Santa Ana, but not that she spent her childhood in Santa Ana. Meanwhile, The Encyclopedia of World Biography states that Mulkey was born in Hammond, LA.

If that is not true and there is Information obtainable through Google to prove she spent her first decade in California, then it is up to you to prove that by providing your own link, rather than refuting something that obviously had been researched by saying they should Google it. That’s just strange.

I’m willing to believe you, but I’ve already Googled with no confirmation, so prove it with a Google obtained link.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was able to Google this.

"Her athletic career began at an early age. Mulkey, a native of Hammond, La., played Dixie Youth baseball as a 12-year old as well as two years of Pony League baseball and made the all-star team two of the three years. At Hammond High School, she led the basketball team to four-straight state championships, posted a 136-5 record and finished her career with a then-national record 4,075 points. She earned all-district, all-state and All-America honors each of her four years at Hammond High. She also graduated as her class’ valedictorian with a perfect 4.0 grade point average. Mulkey has a street named after her in her hometown of Tickfaw, La."

This is from her Biography on the Baylor Women's basketball website.
No one is "upset" about her being from California. No one is mad at California nor in this context do we think it's a BAD state. But we've provided information from her (video interviews and excerpts from her book) that state she grew up in Louisiana.

Reaction Score
Sorta like Mike Jordan. Born in Brooklyn, NY, yet he always mentions Wilmington, North Carolina. I’ve never heard him mention Brooklyn. Only the Brooklynites/ New Yorkers(Kenny Smith) use him and his likeness for bragging rights! :D

Reaction Score
A high school friend played against her a few times in big invitational tournaments in Louisiana. She was fairly young the first time, junior high age and then again as a senior. Don't know where she was hatched but certain of where she grew up.

Reaction Score
If Kim does indeed take the LSU job I don’t think it would be impossible for her to land any of the SEC high school prospects. Imagine if she can bring in Watkins or Baker? Or what if Smith wants a chance to challenge Howard or Boston for SEC POY and follows Kim to LSU, I don’t see LSU as a rebuilding job for Mulkey.

Reaction Score
If Kim does indeed take the LSU job I don’t think it would be impossible for her to land any of the SEC high school prospects. Imagine if she can bring in Watkins or Baker? Or what if Smith wants a chance to challenge Howard or Boston for SEC POY and follows Kim to LSU, I don’t see LSU as a rebuilding job for Mulkey.
There was the rumor earlier about Smith in the portal. Just gonna have to wait to see how everything shakes out. I think the portal + free transfer is gonna make a mess of things.

Reaction Score
I'd get over it. It has been almost a decade and she's won it all since then and Baylor is consistently excellent.
Didn’t we win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in 2013 thanks to Louisville‘s fluke win over Baylor (with Griner and Odyssey Sims) in the semis, setting us up to trounce Louisville in the final? At the time I didn’t think we could have beaten Baylor in the championship game. sometimes things break in your favor, other times (Mississippi State and Arizona) they don’t

Reaction Score
IF she took it, she will probably take some lumps for a year (Year 1) but should be able to hit the ground running hard early on given how the transfer portal is these days and she takes advantage of that.

Reaction Score
A high school friend played against her a few times in big invitational tournaments in Louisiana. She was fairly young the first time, junior high age and then again as a senior. Don't know where she was hatched but certain of where she grew up.
did she throw her warm up jacket when she got mad?

Reaction Score
The timing is perfect, she knows UConn will dominate the next 3 or 4 years and Baylor won’t be on UConn’s level for that time, so why not go home where you’ve probably dreamed about and take those years to rebuild LSU into a contender. LSU will probably be where she wants by the time Paige graduates.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn’t we win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in 2013 thanks to Louisville‘s fluke win over Baylor (with Griner and Odyssey Sims) in the semis, setting us up to trounce Louisville in the final? At the time I didn’t think we could have beaten Baylor in the championship game. sometimes things break in your favor, other times (Mississippi State and Arizona) they don’t
#1 Baylor lost in the S16 that year to Louisville (a #5 seed), Louisville then beat a #2 seed TN in E8 and a #2 seed Cal in the SF before being blown out by Uconn in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom