Kim Mulkey fulfills homecoming promise to Louisiana players | The Boneyard

Kim Mulkey fulfills homecoming promise to Louisiana players

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
... in Baylor's game tonight at Nicholls State in Thibodeaux, Louisiana.

Kim Mulkey fulfills homecoming promise to Louisiana players in Baylor's return to the state against Nicholls

Monday night is the fulfillment of a promise Kim Mulkey made more than two years ago.

When the Baylor women’s basketball coach first recruited Kalani Brown out of Slidell, Louisiana, she told the two-time LHSAA Class 4A state champion and McDonald’s All American she’d do everything she could to schedule a game back in Brown’s home state.

Mulkey made the same promise to Moon Ursin — a two-time Miss Basketball and the first player to ever secure three Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year awards — last year before signing with the Lady Bears out of Destrehan.​

On Monday night, Mulkey and the Lady Bears travel to Nicholls State, marking the first time Baylor crossed the Texas-Louisiana border for a game in more than a decade.​

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So I went looking for Nicholls State's Mascot and things got sorta strange.

nicholls-nazi-rally.jpg

Political correctness does not reign in Louisiana it seems. Then there is this article, which surely is a send up.

Critics argue that Colonial Tillou can’t help what he is. As a mascot, he’s cursed to express himself within the parameters of his appearance. Jake Vermillion, who has been practicing mascot psychiatry for twenty years, stated, “If your mascot looks like a lion, it’s probably going to inspire bravery and maybe even maul a hiker. But if your mascot looks like a Nazi, it’s probably going to end up on trial for war crimes. That’s just science.”

Nicholls Mascot Embraces Inner Nazi

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For anyone interested, and if you have the DirecTV sports package, this game is on station 623 ELVN (Eleven Sports Network) at 8PM EST.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
At 8, there is currently a live 8th grade quarter final FBU National Championship game on the Network with over 7 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. Score is close, 34-14. I guess they will show the WBB game pretty soon...

Reaction Score
I attended Harvard on the bayou back in the mid eighties and, well, it was a tiny little place located in Thibodaux, Louisiana and from the look of things on Wikipedia, still is. I think it had, at most, 2.5K students while I was there and has mushroomed to about 5.5K. The mascot might actually have improved slightly since back in the day he was an unapologetic straight up gray coated confederate colonel.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Nicholls State's tallest player is 6' 3", nobody else is over 6' and have 3 players who make Itty Bitty look like Z even though they are listed at 5'6". Score is 39-21, Baylor at the half. Nicholls State's tallest player was on the bench with 3 fouls for about the last 3 minutes of the half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

View attachment 27027

Political correctness does not reign in Louisiana it seems. Then there is this article, which surely is a send up.

Critics argue that Colonial Tillou can’t help what he is. As a mascot, he’s cursed to express himself within the parameters of his appearance. Jake Vermillion, who has been practicing mascot psychiatry for twenty years, stated, “If your mascot looks like a lion, it’s probably going to inspire bravery and maybe even maul a hiker. But if your mascot looks like a Nazi, it’s probably going to end up on trial for war crimes. That’s just science.”

Can't stop laughing. Made my day- thanks so much.

Plebe

Reaction Score

We can do away with the word "surely." The current lead article on that site is headlined:
New Orleans hires Robosaurus to remove Robert E. Lee statue

Reaction Score
How in the world is Baylor only ranked 6th? Their RPI must be in the top 10

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Was nice for Brown and Ursin to get a chance to play in their home state. Mulkey gave Ursin the start and she looked a little nervous in the beginning but she got a few buckets at the rim and hit a couple of nice jumpers. Her athleticism is off the charts. She performed well with 5-9 shooting and 9 rebounds.

Lauren Cox is sooooo much better this season. She is finishing around the rim and hitting her outside shot. I love the confidence that she exudes this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Was nice for Brown and Ursin to get a chance to play in their home state. Mulkey gave Ursin the start and she looked a little nervous in the beginning but she got a few buckets at the rim and hit a couple of nice jumpers. Her athleticism is off the charts. She performed well with 5-9 shooting and 9 rebounds.

Lauren Cox is sooooo much better this season. She is finishing around the rim and hitting her outside shot. I love the confidence that she exudes this season.
Was also very impressed with Ursin's athleticism, in the little bit of this game that I caught. I don't believe she played much in the UCLA game.

Reaction Score
Was also very impressed with Ursin's athleticism, in the little bit of this game that I caught. I don't believe she played much in the UCLA game.

Since one of the other Freshman Trinity Oliver tore her ACL during the Kentucky game Ursin has seen more playing time. She is getting better each game, and I like how Kim is trying to develop them as quick as possible before conference starts. They will need everyone to be ready to contribute once conference starts.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It looked to me as though McKenzie was on the bench. That must mean she's physically recovered from losing her baby, and emotionally recovered enough that she can concentrate on the game. I really wasn't expecting to see her back this soon; my best friend went through the same thing and he wasn't back at work for 2-3 months.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And one of the few times Baylor ever leaves the state of Texas, outside of the Big Boogie, to play a game. Congrats on fulfilling a promise Geno makes and fulfills for every senior. Forgive me if I don't goosestep to a salute.

Reaction Score
"On Monday night, Mulkey and the Lady Bears travel to Nicholls State, marking the first time Baylor crossed the Texas-Louisiana border for a game in more than a decade."

I guess I need new reading glasses...I thought it read that it was BU's first time crossing the Texas border for a game in more than a decade! Other than for the playoffs I thought this to be true for a moment :p

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She deserves a medal since she's the only coach that ever tries to play a road game close to her players' home towns.

Reaction Score
"On Monday night, Mulkey and the Lady Bears travel to Nicholls State, marking the first time Baylor crossed the Texas-Louisiana border for a game in more than a decade."

I guess I need new reading glasses...I thought it read that it was BU's first time crossing the Texas border for a game in more than a decade! Other than for the playoffs I thought this to be true for a moment :p

I mean you did just see her a year ago in Storrs.....your memory must be a little foggy.....I kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom