Killer Instinct | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Killer Instinct

Reaction Score
Here's a topic to get the analytical juices flowing. On the current roster, who has demonstrated a "killer instinct"? What is their "killer instinct"? How impactful and reliable is their "killer instinct" at crunch time?
I'm not sure any of them have demonstrated a killer instinct. For me, killer instinct is coming out of the gates and go on a run with tough defense and be up by 30 at half time. Then build it in the third before taking a seat on the bench for the night. Stewie, MoJeff, and Tuck are the last class for me that truly had it. KLS and Pheesa in the conversation for recent classes.

This new generation for me including Paige can get up by 12 or 15 and then relax, stop hunting shots, and give it all back. I just haven't seen a consistent trend where they play full out each possession regardless of the score. I love to watch them but killer instinct? Not there. I know folks will say injuries but even when healthy they relax if they get up by a bunch.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
All of the dialogue in this thread has been fascinating to see different perspectives. In my mind, killer instinct in basketball terms means I’m either going to put you out of your misery and bury you or your team (score wise) or there’s no way you’ve going to stop me.

I agree with what everyone has stated about Nika, and I too absolutely want her on my team. She has attitude, determination, leadership, no backing down, etc. in spades. I think, however, killer instinct relates more to the offensive side of the ball, because even if you shut the other team down, someone has to score to win.

I see killer instinct as a trait where there is no hesitation in decision-making, intense focus and drive and no doubt you can execute something to ensure the goal is met. In other words, no fear, ever! If we’re down 2 points at the end of the game, whether we’re going for a 2 or a 3, Paige and Caroline as a close second are the only ones I’ve never seen fail exhibiting a killer instinct, particularly with the no hesitation. If I were the coach, the ball is going to Paige or secondarily Caroline, hands down, even if the other team knows that. These two will do whatever it takes to ensure we get a good shot off, no matter how they are defended. Other team members can demonstrate a killer instinct at times but not always. With these two, I don’t have to think twice.
Thank you.

You wrote what my inner self was wishing I could write.

Reaction Score
The difference between Paige and Nika in my opinion is: Nika has the full 40 minute (actually it's probably 24/7) killer instinct. She doesn't know when or how to back down. Paige's killer instinct rises to the occasion, builds as the game goes on reaching a crescendo, and if need be, goes off the charts in the last 5 minutes of the game. It's good to have both.

Reaction Score
When Didi Richards went down ( which was a d——d shame) in the E8 Baylor game, the Lady Bears seems stunned and back on their heels.
The fact that the Huskies were on their way to losing that game when Didi got hurt is secondary.
What mattered was the 19-0 UCONN run that followed and the willingness to kick your opponent when they are down and KEEP kicking them.
That was the nasty Paige leading the way and inspiring the “killer instinct “ in her teammates.
Of everything I hope to see from “Buckets” this season, it’s the leadership and inspirational skills which will make all the difference.
Wanna see 14 killers arguing with Geno over who gets to cut down the net when the smoke clears.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure any of them have demonstrated a killer instinct. For me, killer instinct is coming out of the gates and go on a run with tough defense and be up by 30 at half time. Then build it in the third before taking a seat on the bench for the night. Stewie, MoJeff, and Tuck are the last class for me that truly had it. KLS and Pheesa in the conversation for recent classes.

This new generation for me including Paige can get up by 12 or 15 and then relax, stop hunting shots, and give it all back. I just haven't seen a consistent trend where they play full out each possession regardless of the score. I love to watch them but killer instinct? Not there. I know folks will say injuries but even when healthy they relax if they get up by a bunch.

This right here. Being up by 15, then just putting it away and it's a 30 point blowout!

Reaction Score
Interesting set of comments. I don't equate "Killer Instinct" with high energy and aggressiveness as we all do with Nika. To me its more a matter of being able to perform/outperform the competition under pressure. Agree with comments that Paige and Aaliyah fit this definition. Her first year, prior to head issues, Caroline was also someone you could get the ball to at the end of games and expect positive things.

Reaction Score
I don't remember which episode it was on, but on Geno's show (perhaps one of the ones about the NCAA champions over the years), one of the players talked about how she and her teammates planned to start every game on a run. For instance, get to a 10-point lead by the first TV timeout. Maybe it was Renee Montgomery - getting old, can't remember. But to me, killer instinct is not just about one or even a few players, but what a team does together to demoralize their opponent throughout a game and ultimately "steps on their neck" to close it out. That's killer!

Reaction Score
I don't remember which episode it was on, but on Geno's show (perhaps one of the ones about the NCAA champions over the years), one of the players talked about how she and her teammates planned to start every game on a run. For instance, get to a 10-point lead by the first TV timeout. Maybe it was Renee Montgomery - getting old, can't remember. But to me, killer instinct is not just about one or even a few players, but what a team does together to demoralize their opponent throughout a game and ultimately "steps on their neck" to close it out. That's killer!
Like Mike Tyson reportedly said, “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.” Renée may have had a bit of the same stuff Mike was made of.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bingo!!! :cool: "Stepping on necks" thereby depriving your opponent of life giving breath (and any hope of a come back), is one of the components of having or exhibiting a killer instinct. That was always he hope and desire of Michael, Kobe, Tarausi and as Bone Dog suggests, Renee Montgomery, to thoroughly and completely take all of the hope and will from their opponents. None of these players ever asked for any quarter, and never gave any, regardless of the score. ;) one of the common threads of a killer instinct is the hope/desire to quickly demoralize the opponent, preferably by halftime.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So agree with comments. Caroline and Paige did awesome at times putting the team on their backs and willing them to a win. That isn't killer instinct to me. That's survival instinct. Killer instinct to me is what the above poster said, get up by a bunch and keep pouring it on and giving the opponent no hope they could win.

Reaction Score
Paige - think of the NC State where she refused to let UConn lose by nailing shot after shot
Ducharme - Think of the DePaul game where she hit the game winner and still looked like she was ready for another quarter
Azzi - Think of the Texas game where she made bucket after bucket and when a defender backed off she yelled "Where is she going?" after she drained a 3.
Aubrey - She crashes the glass like the rent is due and she has to grab a money order before 6pm
Nika - she isn't scared of anyone, anywhere anytime and is a defensive pest

Reaction Score
I do not think that any member of the current roster should be labeled with the killer instinct label. That's what's been missing the past few years. That doesn't mean the talent wasn't there, because we all know it was. In my mind a player with a killer instinct would never allow her or one of her teammates be taken advantage of either physically or mentally. The last UConn player that I can recall that put real fear into an opponent was DT.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
How can a player that had 7 TO's and only 3 points in the biggest game of the year even be in the discussion?
Some people do not have a clue, even after all this time has gone by. We played about 37 games, maybe we can pick a few games that dispute your characterization of Nika. Tunnel vision, geeze

Reaction Score
To me, Killer Instinct is going out there and just destroying a team. Up by 10? Let’s make it 20, then 30, then 40. Never letting up and never giving the opponent hope. I always think of Sue, DT, Shea, and Swin when I hear those words.

Reaction Score
great question. I hope the team collectively develops it. I know basketball is a game of runs, but I think sometimes they collectively let their foot off the gas when they get up. I think the special Uconn teams whether up 5 or 25, play the same way with the same demeanor. I feel like when the team is up 10 or 20 they lose focus, get a little to celebratory and start turning the ball over or taking bad shots. So in that sense it's hard to pick a player with killer instinct. However, I think if the team is deeper, players who will want to make the most of their limited minutes. just my opinion though.

Didn't see the post above me until after I submitted mine. It's exactly how I feel and think about it.

Reaction Score
To me, Killer Instinct is going out there and just destroying a team. Up by 10? Let’s make it 20, then 30, then 40. Never letting up and never giving the opponent hope. I always think of Sue, DT, Shea, and Swin when I hear those words.
Well said about that great team, Matty, and I'll narrow it down to say, if this were a thread about all-time UConn 'killers,' I'd have Shea right near the top of the list, and we never got to see the best from her.

As for the current team, it'd be Paige and the healthy Caroline 1-2 for me, with Nika certainly in the running if the game were all about attitude and defense.

As much support as Azzi gets here, I've just got the feeling she could use quite a bit more of that 'killer' instinct.

Reaction Score
Paige.

If healthy, Azzi and CD will get there. Azzi is very physcial for her size. If she wasn't hurt as much she would've devopled imo. But right now - it's Paige.

Reaction Score
Here's a topic to get the analytical juices flowing. On the current roster, who has demonstrated a "killer instinct"? What is their "killer instinct"? How impactful and reliable is their "killer instinct" at crunch time?
I don't think they have had a killer instinct since Stewart. To me there is a big difference between being clutch and being able to put a team away earlier in the game, the killer instinct. With that said I think Paige has shown she is clutch in big games but other than her I haven't really seen anyone step up when the game needs to be taken over and actually can do it.

Now who has the potential to be that person? Obviously Paige is on the top of the board but I think Azzi is also able to be that person on offense. If you need a stop on defense you have Edwards and Muhl with KK an interesting third person available on the bench. Having big games in the big games early in the season is a building block but to get on the list you have to deliver when it's lose and go home.

This year they should have enough very good players that clutch won't be needed as often as it was the last few years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Some people do not have a clue, even after all this time has gone by. We played about 37 games, maybe we can pick a few games that dispute your characterization of Nika. Tunnel vision, geeze
I've been pretty consistant about not giving any weight to performances that come against against the JV.

Reaction Score
I've been pretty consistant about not giving any weight to performances that come against against the JV.
Then consider Nika’s performance against top teams last season, like Texas, NC St, Iowa, Tennessee and SC. These were not JV squads. SC in particular designed their game plan specifically to stop her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me killer instinct is making threes big play at key moments. The three point dagger that stops an opponents run, the steal followed by the breakaway layup or key block are the players that come to mind. This team has those attributes in spades.

I will agree that the tendency to pour it on and keeping it on has been missing in recent Connecticut teams. I suspect you will see it return this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then consider Nika’s performance against top teams last season, like Texas, NC St, Iowa, Tennessee and SC. These were not JV squads. SC in particular designed their game plan specifically to stop her.
They got smoked in a Sweet 16 game, not a Final Four game. That's not UConn BB. And I don't mean to be critical Muhl, she's trying and working hard. I'm critical the folks here peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would tend to think of team killer instinct rather than individuals. I would agree we haven't seen that from Uconn in recent years. Various Uconn wcbb squads had that quality in spades. As others have mentioned, to me it's that consistent relentless drive to put away the opponent leaving them no chance at coming back in a game. When it has happened with teams in the past, they have been playing against the game rather than the opponent, it's been about reaching for perfection rather than beating the five on the opposite side of the floor. The Magic era of the Lakers famously had it - the game was over in the third quarter - they came out of the locker room and just scored at will and shut the other team down.

I am very hopeful that this years squad will reclaim that relentless drive to beat the game until Geno calls off the dogs so as not to totally demoralize the competition. The potential is definitely there. Paige, Nika and Aaliyah when fully unleashed will be hungry to exhibit this, three seniors that came convinced they'd win championships together, will be on a mission to make it happen this year. Aubrey, Caroline and Azzi while having been hampered by injuries, each have shown the ability and are hungry. Amari, Ayanna and Ines all are eager to show what they've got. Add in Ice and four very driven freshmen who are chumping at the bit to get on the floor with those guys and we have the formula to see a team that has that killer instinct and one that can ride that right through to #12. Baring major injuries that's what I am anxiously awaiting to witness this season!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom