Killer Instinct | The Boneyard

Killer Instinct

Reaction Score
Here's a topic to get the analytical juices flowing. On the current roster, who has demonstrated a "killer instinct"? What is their "killer instinct"? How impactful and reliable is their "killer instinct" at crunch time?

Reaction Score
Paige first of all.
Azzi second of all.
Nika next.
KK belongs near the top of this list.

Aubrey and Caroline and Aaliyah can be killers too. But it strikes me that our backcourt is where that instinct really resides.

Reaction Score
For me the "killer instinct" is Nika and for Paige and Azzi I'd use "Assassins" to best define them. Either way we as fans are fortunate to have all three together. Can't wait for this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
The ones I see from the current roster are Caroline, Nika and Paige (listed alphabetically!). Nika for obvious reasons, passion and competitiveness. Paige and Caroline because those are the two that most seem to want the ball in clutch situations - that's a "killer instinct" trait for me. I can't gauge the freshmen based on how they looked against high school players, we'll see how confident they are when they hit the court against top level D1 college opponents.

Reaction Score
Paige first of all.
Azzi second of all.
Nika next.
KK belongs near the top of this list.

Aubrey and Caroline and Aaliyah can be killers too. But it strikes me that our backcourt is where that instinct really resides.
Aaliyah could be a first teams or second team payer.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah, Paige, & Nika for me. If Nika had a consistent shot, she would be at the top of my list. But she has that killer instinct of, I am going guard whoever is the best player on the other team and guard them like my life depended on it! Might not give me a bucket but I know that she is going to guard someone 94 feet and make it tough on that player to where they lose control of the ball and we score on a layup or something. Aaliyah because of how she went at some of the other team's best players. She did not shy away from going bucket for bucket, rebound for rebound, and shove for shove. That Lady Vol game was awesome! Paige just because we know she is that "Alpha" dog. She is going to go at you and when there is a shot to be taken to decide the game, win or lose, Paige is going to take that shot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nika was the first player that came to mind for me as well, followed closely by Paige. A killer instinct is something you bring with you, not something you acquire as you go along. One or more of the freshmen may have it, but it remains to be seen.

Michael Jordan had a killer instinct. Kobe Bryant had a killer instinct. Others may not agree, and that’s fine. But IMHO, KI can't be taught. It's like common sense. You either have it or you don't. :eek: Nika has it!!

Reaction Score
Nika was the first player that came to mind for me as well, followed closely by Paige. A killer instinct is something you bring with you, not something you acquire as you go along. One or more of the freshmen may have it, but it remains to be seen.

Michael Jordan had a killer instinct. Kobe Bryant had a killer instinct. Others may not agree, and that’s fine. But IMHO, KI can't be taught. It's like common sense. You either have it or you don't. :eek: Nika has it!!
I agree with you on the bolded sentences. You'll have to wait another season or so but if you like "piranhas on a pot roast" you will really like seeing Morgan Cheli lock on to people starting next year.

Reaction Score

The only Huskies I can remember making shots to win are Bueckers and Ducharme. Bueckers also iced the 2021 E8 game against Baylor when she intercepted Baylor's last chance pass.

UConn hasn't had many nail-biters historically.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aaliyah could be a first teams or second team payer.
Aaliyah could be a “killer”. To me, she’s too nice. She’s not NASTY enough (IMO. Angel Reece is nasty. Skylar Diggins is nasty. Taurasi is nasty. Dee would rip your heart out, then try to put it back through a different orifice. :eek: Nika is nasty.......all the time, and I love it!!! She wakes up in a foul mood.

Maya Moore was an assassin. A “silent” assassin. She could out up the quietest 25 points you’ve ever seen. So is Azzi. Assassins don’t bite, killers do. :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige offensively
Nika defensively
Possibly KK if what’s being said about her is true.

Azzi and Aaliyah both have a drive to win, make big plays, and are exception players, but I don’t see them as killer instinct players. I always think that “killer instinct” requires vocal leadership to go along with the willingness and ability to dominate despite whatever the opponent is doing or what situation the team is in (e.g., up by 20, down by 20, down 1 with a couple seconds to go, etc.). They both more remind of how the coaches described Stewie early on—basically that they had to bring that instinct out in her since she was so casual/nice naturally.

Reaction Score
The killer instinct is when a player can single handedly take over a game, put his team on his back while getting them involved. Its wanting to take that last second buzzer beater to win the game.

Definitely Paige and Caroline.

Reaction Score
For me, the ultimate killer was Sue who would drop the dagger and put opposing teams out of their misery. Who’s like that now? Really only one answer: Paige.

We’ve got scrappers and fighters. They often build the big leads. But a killer is the person who crushes the comeback attempt with a couple of deadly demoralizing buckets.

We’ve seen Azzi do this a few times: like against Tennessee last year and Texas this year. We’ve seen Caroline do it against DePaul last year. Give us an injury free year and we may have three killers.

Reaction Score
There are two players who have clearly shown killer instinct. Paige is obviously number one, the other (to a lesser extent) is Caroline! Others may have it and be able to show it in the future but right now, Paige and Caroline are the only ones who have shown it consistently!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
When I see those 2 words: "killer instinct," I think of being on a dark street at night, with someone attacking me. Who would I want there to protect me?.........................Nika

Reaction Score
I like her toughness, but that were times that Nika (and to a lesser extent Azzi) looked like she did not want to take the last shot. A basketball "assassin" doesn't have a conscience about shooting when necessary and feels confident that they will make every shot. I love Nika's intangibles, but I have to slightly disagree with folks about this question.

Reaction Score
All of the dialogue in this thread has been fascinating to see different perspectives. In my mind, killer instinct in basketball terms means I’m either going to put you out of your misery and bury you or your team (score wise) or there’s no way you’ve going to stop me.

I agree with what everyone has stated about Nika, and I too absolutely want her on my team. She has attitude, determination, leadership, no backing down, etc. in spades. I think, however, killer instinct relates more to the offensive side of the ball, because even if you shut the other team down, someone has to score to win.

I see killer instinct as a trait where there is no hesitation in decision-making, intense focus and drive and no doubt you can execute something to ensure the goal is met. In other words, no fear, ever! If we’re down 2 points at the end of the game, whether we’re going for a 2 or a 3, Paige and Caroline as a close second are the only ones I’ve never seen fail exhibiting a killer instinct, particularly with the no hesitation. If I were the coach, the ball is going to Paige or secondarily Caroline, hands down, even if the other team knows that. These two will do whatever it takes to ensure we get a good shot off, no matter how they are defended. Other team members can demonstrate a killer instinct at times but not always. With these two, I don’t have to think twice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom