Kicked off Team for Writing a Poem? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kicked off Team for Writing a Poem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A leader has to quickly and decisively draw a line when there is dissension in the ranks. Booting the kid cuts out the cancer before it can spread. If others on the team feel strongly enough they can freely leave also that way your left with a unit that is all working in the same direction without distraction from within. The Red Sox got rid of their bad apples and look how much of a difference that made. If the kid had that much of a problem with what was going on with the team he needs to go and talk to the coach even if the coach is the problem. That way they both know where each other stands and bridges aren't burnt in case the kid wanted to transfer out. Now the kid just looks like a whining cry baby that puts himself ahead of the team and nobody wants that type of player, in sports or in business.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A leader has to quickly and decisively draw a line when there is dissension in the ranks. Booting the kid cuts out the cancer before it can spread. If others on the team feel strongly enough they can freely leave also that way your left with a unit that is all working in the same direction without distraction from within. The Red Sox got rid of their bad apples and look how much of a difference that made. If the kid had that much of a problem with what was going on with the team he needs to go and talk to the coach even if the coach is the problem. That way they both know where each other stands and bridges aren't burnt in case the kid wanted to transfer out. Now the kid just looks like a whining cry baby that puts himself ahead of the team and nobody wants that type of player, in sports or in business.

This is a bit too focused on the objective of winning high school sporting events.

No one is saying the kid can't be punished but the tack taken by the supposed adults is a widespread problem nearly as bad a kids or junior staffers acting up.

Reaction Score
Moral to the story... just hire a civil rights attorney.

http://fox8.com/2013/10/24/school-officials-students-poem-punishment-overturned/

"The superintendent of the Rittman School District in Wayne County says the suspension of 16-year-old Nick Andre has been overturned, and the junior defensive end has been reinstated to the Rittman High School football team."

"Andre’s parents have hired Cleveland civil rights attorney Avery Friedman, who maintains the poem is protected speech, and that the 16-year-old’s constitutional rights were violated by the school district. Friedman says the family has not been formally notified that the suspension has been overturned."

Reaction Score
The kid is a . The coach's son, who is the target of the rant, is playing football at Akron next year. Hard to believe his playing time is due to his father being the coach. 4 day suspension? Sorry, no sympathy.

That does make sense, but it's also possible the Akron coach thinks having a good relationship with this school is key.

We've seen it all in NCAA sports.

Reaction Score
Moral to the story... just hire a civil rights attorney.

http://fox8.com/2013/10/24/school-officials-students-poem-punishment-overturned/

"The superintendent of the Rittman School District in Wayne County says the suspension of 16-year-old Nick Andre has been overturned, and the junior defensive end has been reinstated to the Rittman High School football team."

"Andre’s parents have hired Cleveland civil rights attorney Avery Friedman, who maintains the poem is protected speech, and that the 16-year-old’s constitutional rights were violated by the school district. Friedman says the family has not been formally notified that the suspension has been overturned."

How do these guys get through law school without knowing the difference between protected speech and the consequences there of? Just stupid.

Reaction Score
That does make sense, but it's also possible the Akron coach thinks having a good relationship with this school is key.

We've seen it all in NCAA sports.

Maybe. What does that have to do with verbally attacking a specific student?

Reaction Score
Maybe. What does that have to do with verbally attacking a specific student?

Verbally attacking? I didn't read any verbal attacks. No hazing or harassment. This was something else. He was criticizing his classmate's athleticism, work habits and especially the relationship with his father. You used the Akron thing to disprove what he was saying. I offered other possibilities. Granted, it's not likely, but it certainly is not deserving of a suspension from the school.

Reaction Score
Verbally attacking? I didn't read any verbal attacks. No hazing or harassment. This was something else. He was criticizing his classmate's athleticism, work habits and especially the relationship with his father. You used the Akron thing to disprove what he was saying. I offered other possibilities. Granted, it's not likely, but it certainly is not deserving of a suspension from the school.

To Chin's point.......what if he was "criticizing" some fat girl's eating habits?

Reaction Score
To Chin's point.......what if he was "criticizing" some fat girl's eating habits?

Don't think he'd get a suspension but that's not the same thing regardless.

How would a fat girl's eating habits impact his own status?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

But, he didn't. If he did that might be considered bullying. Let's bot confuse what he could have said with what he did say.

He said daddy favors his kid. It's different, it deserves some corrective action on the part of the educators. It did not warrant a school suspension or being kicked off a scholastic athletic team.

This issue is less about a dumb poem than it is an abuse of authority. If he wrote it on the wall of the school, then suspend him.

Reaction Score
I can't wait until someone writes a poem about the class who-were and criticizes her unsafe s e x capades.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I can't wait until someone writes a poem about the class who-were and criticizes her unsafe s e x capades.

Again, bullying. It does matter what is said in that environment. Not all speech is protected.

Reaction Score
Bizarre...
Dennis steps down as Indians coach

"In the wake of a story that has become national news, Bill Dennis resigned Thursday as Rittman’s head football coach. Assistant coach Lane Knore will coach the Indians for their final two games.

Dennis, who has not returned messages left by The Post, has told other outlets he resigned to avoid being a distraction. He became the center of controversy after junior lineman Nick Andre was suspended from school and removed from the team for writing and reciting an unflattering poem in his English class last week."

"Blake Dennis, according to reports, has also left the football team and will miss the final two games of his career, including Rittman’s Senior Night."

http://www.thepostnewspapers.com/no...cle_493b0b0b-0195-55e5-997e-ed81d7b6ce9d.html

Reaction Score
The school has a hazing rule in the codes apparently. Calling this hazing is kind of like prosecuting someone caught urinating in public as a sex offender.

Reaction Score
Who's the arbiter of what constitutes hazing and bullying? Upstater and Subba? Because the kid is a football player he should toughen up and take it like a man?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Who's the arbiter of what constitutes hazing and bullying? Upstater and Subba? Because the kid is a football player he should toughen up and take it like a man?

Isn't that the point of the court system to make such judgements? And I am unclear which FB player you are referring to? Should the writer toughen up and accept his suspension or should the coaches son toughen up because a teammate is jealous?

I doubt the writer stood atop a table in the cafeteria or locker room and read his poem (suspendable). More likely he turned in a free verse assignment, the teacher told the coach. (Not suspendable).

The facts are what the facts are.

Reaction Score
I doubt the writer stood atop a table in the cafeteria or locker room and read his poem (suspendable). More likely he turned in a free verse assignment, the teacher told the coach. (Not suspendable).

The facts are what the facts are.

... and the facts are he read it aloud in class (not sure if he was atop his desk;)).

Reaction Score

I think you're behind the times now with the new updates quoting many people in the region as being more than surprised that the coach's son got a schollie. Seems your initial idea that the kid was grousing is wrong. It's a position held by many in the community.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Funny how a group of individuals that loves to vocalize their distaste for whatever goes wrong is uncomfortable with a kid doing something similar.

Reaction Score
I think you're behind the times now with the new updates quoting many people in the region as being more than surprised that the coach's son got a schollie. Seems your initial idea that the kid was grousing is wrong. It's a position held by many in the community.

That means nothing to me.

So it's your position that kids can get up in front of a class and openly disparage a fellow student with little to no consequences because it's protected speech?

I'm not buying the "it was more directed at his father" line of crap either. Read the poem again.

Reaction Score
How frigging sad is it that we're playing a top 25 team in just over 18 hours, and have back to back games against top 25 competition on the schedule, and the subject generating the most interest around here is some jackoff high school football player English class stunt in bumpfung Ohio that has nothing to do with UCONN.

I hate losing. It makes everything suck.

They better go out and change it tomorrow.

Reaction Score
That means nothing to me.

So it's your position that kids can get up in front of a class and openly disparage a fellow student with little to no consequences because it's protected speech?

I'm not buying the "it was more directed at his father" line of crap either. Read the poem again.

I thought there should be repercussions for football. That's not being a good teammate. But you're going to muzzle a kid who thinks a coach-son relationship is wrong? In a poem? That, to me, is absolutely absurd. This isn't bullying or harassment. He's talking about something quite different here. He's downgrading his teammate's football skills and accusing the father of nepotism.

Reaction Score
One of the biggest problems in this country is the fact that there are too many lawyers and every year schools like Yale just keep pumping them out even though there is no demand for them. It's so bad that now they have to advertise on TV like used car salesmen or cheap furniture retailers. When lawyers are lined up just looking for something to sue you know your in trouble as a society.

Reaction Score
One of the biggest problems in this country is the fact that there are too many lawyers and every year schools like Yale just keep pumping them out even though there is no demand for them. It's so bad that now they have to advertise on TV like used car salesmen or cheap furniture retailers. When lawyers are lined up just looking for something to sue you know your in trouble as a society.
LOL...good point. A couple of years ago when EPA announced new fuel standards for cars, Toyota, VW and Subaru expanded their engineering research department to try and find a way to meet the new guidelines, while GM expanded its legal department to try and find a way to fight them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
With the new bullying/hazing laws, I've seen kids suspended for less.

I agree with the kids suspension.

Or for being a ?

Funny thing about free speech. Too often people think it means they can say whatever to whomever and there can't be any consequences.

Truth be told, football is a privelige not a right and the kid isn't going to jail or paying any fines.

Bashing your coach and teammates publicly has consequences. And I'll concede the kid may be right. Maybe the coach is favoring his son, maybe the son does suck and Akron is getting a dud.

But the kid has to learn that he'd be fired from almost every company if he published that.

Notice how Mike Foley's similar poem about PP and GDL wasn't ever published?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highs...ked-off-team-suspended-writing-094105586.html

Stupid
Losing season,
Favoritism,
Non stop passes from best friend to best friend.
Continuously doing what doesn't work,
The inability to separate being a father and a coach.
Dropped passes,
But yet still the "super star",
Yeah right.
Where's my scholarship?
I can drop passes,
Run backwards,
Miss tackles,
And be afraid to take a hit.
That's top line div. 1 material right there.
If that's what they wanted,
They definitely got it.
This whole town will be glad when he is gone.
For anyone who doesn't understand what I am saying?
AKRON'S SCREWED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate