Kiah Stokes becoming Turkish national | The Boneyard

Kiah Stokes becoming Turkish national

Reaction Score
It was first reported before this European season that Kiah would be naturalized by Turkey. We now have confirmation of that plan as she was included in their preliminary roster for the upcoming Eurobasket tournament:

She will be competing against Quanitra Hollingsworth as only one naturalized player can play for a team at a given time. This move will increase the amount of money she can ask for from European teams as she will now count differently towards foreign player limits.

There has been no word on whether she will adopt a Turkish name as others have done (like when Barbara Turner became Bahar Ozturk).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crazy how you can just switch countries after just 1 year and in other countries you have to live and work for a minimum of 5 years before becoming naturalised.

Reaction Score
It was first reports before this European season that Kiah would be naturalized by Turkey. We now have confirmation of that plan as she was included in their preliminary roster for the upcoming Eurobasket tournament:

She will be competing against Quanitra Hollingsworth as only one naturalized player can play for a team at a given time. This move will increase the amount of money she can ask for from European teams as she will now count differently towards foreign player limits.

There has been no word on whether she will adopt a Turkish name as others have done (like when Barbara Turner became Bahar Ozturk).
Prior to WWI, Turks didn't have surnames but adopted them as part of Kemal's modernization. He became Kemal Ataturk, father of the Turks. My favorite was a student of mine whose last name meant equal to a horse but equal in Turkish requires *** when spelling out in English. By the way, in 1967 I watched a basketball game on a set in a store window in Turkey when tvs were very new. There was one camera, mounted on wheels, that reversed and rolled alongside court on every change of possession.

Reaction Score
Kiah is a champion:

Bria is too, but she did not end up playing any of the games that they won in the Finals.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
this is what I'm talking about, want the big bucks, go where the big bucks are! #sacrifice

Reaction Score
Being a Turkish National means she doesn't have to read or listened to the jabbing between the Turkish Legislators and the Countrys leader and she gets to play BB..

Reaction Score
this is what I'm talking about, want the big bucks, go where the big bucks are! #sacrifice
Age old story--you want more, you want better, do as the explorers did, seek and maybe move. I.e. Do what is necessary or accept your status. Good things don't really "come" to you, you have to go get them.

Reaction Score
Crazy how you can just switch countries after just 1 year and in other countries you have to live and work for a minimum of 5 years before becoming naturalised.
You can be "Naturalized" but in your heart and soul and psyche you remain as you were born--mostly. A paper does not change you inside.

Reaction Score
By the way,Turks cannot give up citizenship, even if they are naturalized in another county. Turkish boys who immigrated to U.S. as toddlers and then visited Turkey at 18 were drafted into the army.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Age old story--you want more, you want better, do as the explorers did, seek and maybe move. I.e. Do what is necessary or accept your status. Good things don't really "come" to you, you have to go get them.
exactly

Reaction Score
Kiah made her debut with 5 points and 6 rebounds in 21 minutes in a 66-57 exhibition win over Hungary in a tournament in Spain:

türkiye---macaristan.jpg

türkiye---macaristan93e76a1d79fa6eb4981bff00002477f7.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So is she coming back to the Liberty this season?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
By the way,Turks cannot give up citizenship, even if they are naturalized in another county. Turkish boys who immigrated to U.S. as toddlers and then visited Turkey at 18 were drafted into the army.

All Turk males, even those living in foreign countries such as Germany where there is a large Turkish population, must serve in the military, but they can serve reduced service by paying a fee... I can't remember what was but I think it was substantial (the equivalent of $5,000 comes to mind) but it allows the inductee service for only six months.

Reaction Score
Kiah had 8 points in 18 minutes in a 62-47 exhibition win over Latvia. Former Fordham player Kate Kreslina led the hosts.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So when is she expected to return and join the Liberty?

Reaction Score
Kiah and Bria have been teammates for so long, they probably forgot what it was like to be on different teams. Kiah had 10 points and 10 rebounds in 26 minutes while Bria played her first exhibition and had 9 points and 5 assists in 24 minutes as Turkey beat hosts France 74-65:

So when is she expected to return and join the Liberty?

Assuming she beats out Quanitra Hollingsworth, which is looking more likely, she (and Bria) should be back sometime during the second week of July.

Reaction Score
9 points and 11 rebounds in 30 minutes in an 80-70 exhibition loss to Serbia:

Reaction Score
4 points and 8 rebounds in 27 minutes in a 67-52 loss to Russia to finish the exhibition tournament in France:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom