Kiah Gillespie | The Boneyard

Kiah Gillespie

Reaction Score
Good for her. My daughter played against her in high school. One game she splashed a 3 in my daighter's face. All my kid could do was shrug her shoulders and smile.

Reaction Score
Kiah has definitely found her niche at FSU. The thing that surprised me in the St. John's game in New York was she didn't commit a single foul in 33 minutes of play. At Maryland she was famous for committing two fouls in less than a minute. She has grown up quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Kiah could also be eligible to be a graduate transfer next season assuming she has kept up her studies and gets a diploma from FSU this spring.

do you think she'd be interested in UConn at this point after having been ignored in high school?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
do you think she'd be interested in UConn at this point after having been ignored in high school?
She was not ignored in HS. It was my understanding that she was frequently on the UCONN campus playing pickup with many of the players. I also understand that she had a "disengaged" attitude on her recruiting visit. Now here is the thing you need to understand: Where was Kiah going to play when your recruiting class included KLS , Napheesa, and De"Jane Boykin All USA basketball players at the time. One of her parents used to post here on the BY. Maryland was a good choice for her IMO and I'm glad she is doing well at FSU now. I have no idea if she would be interested in coming back only hope she recognizes the present opportunity and not base her decision on something that happened in HS.

Reaction Score
She has certainly carried FSU up until this point. The freshmen class has been underwhelming to say the least. Come time for ACC play and things could get ugly :eek:

Reaction Score
She was not ignored in HS. It was my understanding that she was frequently on the UCONN campus playing pickup with many of the players. I also understand that she had a "disengaged" attitude on her recruiting visit. Now here is the thing you need to understand: Where was Kiah going to play when your recruiting class included KLS , Napheesa, and De"Jane Boykin All USA basketball players at the time. One of her parents used to post here on the BY. Maryland was a good choice for her IMO and I'm glad she is doing well at FSU now. I have no idea if she would be interested in coming back only hope she recognizes the present opportunity and not base her decision on something that happened in HS.

I'm glad you have the info on her recruitment..................I remember that there were some here who were hoping a local kid would be recruited and after a bit of mutual interest she was off to MD without a UConn offer...................kind of reminded me of Cosgrove's recruitment or lack there of.....................from her perspective I find it kind of unlikely she would want to transfer a second time at this point in her career but who knows

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm glad you have the info on her recruitment...I remember that there were some here who were hoping a local kid would be recruited and after a bit of mutual interest she was off to MD without a UConn offer....kind of reminded me of Cosgrove's recruitment or lack there of......from her perspective I find it kind of unlikely she would want to transfer a second time at this point in her career but who knows
You are being deliberately and annoyingly obtuse again. I never said Kiah did not get a UCONN offer because I we don't know. Let's stick to what we know: Kiah choose MD. There was also a NJ kid in that class (2015) that got a UCONN offer and said no- she chose Kentucky instead. Shocking right? Cosgrove was evaluated by the UCONN staff. Cosgrove chose ND.
UCONN is running a national program. Local kids ( including NJ) that are good enough will get offered. Aliyah Boston & Sadie Edwards did. Some will yes others will say no. Stop making it sound like UCONN has something against "local" kids you some like your boy Kenneth.

Reaction Score
You are being deliberately and annoyingly obtuse again. I never said Kiah did not get a UCONN offer because I we don't know. Let's stick to what we know: Kiah choose MD. There was also a NJ kid in that class (2015) that got a UCONN offer and said no- she chose Kentucky instead. Shocking right? Cosgrove was evaluated by the UCONN staff. Cosgrove chose ND.
UCONN is running a national program. Local kids ( including NJ) that are good enough will get offered. Aliyah Boston & Sadie Edwards did. Some will yes others will say no. Stop making it sound like UCONN has something against "local" kids you some like your boy Kenneth.

not sure why you are being so defensive...............as far as we know (unless you know otherwise) a local player was not offered by UConn and chose to go to another program.....................happens all the time and I have no problem with that at all........................then said player transfers to a second program and seems to be adapting well.........................great for her.......................and then you state that she could leave that second program and join UConn in her last year........................I asked a perfectly natural question based on my memory of her recruitment and then wondered whether she would want to transfer a second time and you go off into attack mode........................the one point I will continue to make whether you want to read it or not is that I pleaded with everyone concerned that UConn was playing a dangerous recruiting game and that there would be serious consequences next year if additional players were not offered.........................all I know is that now you have a board full of people (including the two of us) looking under every rock for fifth year graduate students, international players, walk ons........................it's really a sad exercise that was so easily avoidable and it pains me to no end.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
not sure why you are being so defensive.....as far as we know (unless you know otherwise) a local player was not offered by UConn and chose to go to another program......happens all the time and I have no problem with that at all....then said player transfers to a second program and seems to be adapting well.....great for her........and then you state that she could leave that second program and join UConn in her last year....I asked a perfectly natural question based on my memory of her recruitment and then wondered whether she would want to transfer a second time and you go off into attack mode....the one point I will continue to make whether you want to read it or not is that I pleaded with everyone concerned that UConn was playing a dangerous recruiting game and that there would be serious consequences next year if additional players were not offered.....all I know is that now you have a board full of people (including the two of us) looking under every rock for fifth year graduate students, international players, walk ons....it's really a sad exercise that was so easily avoidable and it pains me to no end...
I'm defensive because you are being so offending. If it pains you so much maybe you should just fall back and sit this one out.

Reaction Score
Me specifically.

I just reread my post and can find nothing that should be considered personally offensive in any way..............please let me know what I missed.......

Reaction Score
I don’t know whether Kiah received an offer but I do know that Geno attended one of her games as I was there.

I followed her a lot at Capitol Prep as a kid that highly regarded from CT is a rarity. I went to regular season and state tournament games.

The night Geno came Capitol Prep played Arlington Catholic in Hartford, a meeting of the two best New England teams that year. Unfortunately the Arlington star player was injured (I forget her name but she played at Penn State). The game was good but Kiah and Desiree Elmore were too much for Arlington.

Geno came in during the first half to much commotion. He actually spent most of his time talking to folks. Kiah played well but Desiree, a sophomore at the time, was the star of the game. Next I heard Kiah had committed to MD.

I have continued to watch Kiah at MD and in a game earlier this year at FSU. The Dom Amore article seemed to capture the important point. In high school she was physically dominant but in college not so much. I have no idea as to her future plans but the commitment to honing her skills seems a good step.

Reaction Score
The fans at MD were always pulling for Kiah to do well. She started off with a 20 point game and we thought she would excel there. But she started missing her shot and looked like she lost confidence. You could see her shoulders slumping when she would start missing. Kiah was never able to get use to coming in off the bench. To me, she is the type of player who does well as a starter where she can shoot a lot to build up her confidence. During her time at MD, while she wasn’t doing so well, she never lost her good attitude and just kept trying to do her best.

I think being a starter at FSU brought her confidence back and she just took off. I’m very happy to see her do well there. She’s a really good kid and deserves it.

Reaction Score
Good article about Kiah and UConn: A Terrapin From Connecticut Gets Her Shot at UConn

That is where Gillespie’s focus is these days, not on relitigating the case of Auriemma’s early interest in her, which did not result in a scholarship offer before she accepted Maryland’s.
“Things got a little foggy and we decided to both move on,” she said, adding that Auriemma “ended up getting some great recruits, including the No. 1 player in the country.”
That was Katie Lou Samuelson, currently the Huskies’ leading scorer at 20.6 points a game, out of Huntington Beach, Calif.

Reaction Score
Good article about Kiah and UConn: A Terrapin From Connecticut Gets Her Shot at UConn

That is where Gillespie’s focus is these days, not on relitigating the case of Auriemma’s early interest in her, which did not result in a scholarship offer before she accepted Maryland’s.
“Things got a little foggy and we decided to both move on,” she said, adding that Auriemma “ended up getting some great recruits, including the No. 1 player in the country.”
That was Katie Lou Samuelson, currently the Huskies’ leading scorer at 20.6 points a game, out of Huntington Beach, Calif.

exactly right...............the question now is would a player who is on their second transfer and finally seeing some personal success want to transfer in her final year to any other school........................I would tend to doubt it

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
exactly right.....the question now is would a player who is on their second transfer and finally seeing some personal success want to transfer in her final year to any other school....I would tend to doubt it
shocking.jpg

Reaction Score
So glad this is now revealed by Kiah herself. The indication and conversation about her recruiting and lack of an offer from UConn was always about her work effort.

Dom Amore: Kiah Gillespie finds her game, and herself, at Florida State

As for her transferring here for a final year she addresses that also. Really followed her at the time and being a home boy wanted her here but very glad it has turned out well for her. Really glad she is now able to take advantage of her God given talent.

Now to get Coco and Charlie to make up..... .;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So glad this is now revealed by Kiah herself. The indication and conversation about her recruiting and lack of an offer from UConn was always about her work effort.

Dom Amore: Kiah Gillespie finds her game, and herself, at Florida State

As for her transferring here for a final year she addresses that also. Really followed her at the time and being a home boy wanted her here but very glad it has turned out well for her. Really glad she is now able to take advantage of her God given talent.

Now to get Coco and Charlie to make up..... .;)
Maybe the Stylistics can help:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom