Kia Talks UConn, Geno, Tina, 3s, and More | The Boneyard

Kia Talks UConn, Geno, Tina, 3s, and More

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Your teammates, your coach, your situation matters. They can be the difference in whether you get to be considered a GOAT, or even in the discussion, or even considered an AA. Nurse benefited in some ways from her situation, leading her to be a starter sooner than even some possible GOATs, yet she was hurt in other ways. For example, she really is quite the athlete, would be considered the most athletic of many DI teams and even many UConn DI teams of the past. Yet she coexisted with Williams the whole time and with Jefferson for two of those years. Because of that fateful circumstance I don't think she was viewed as the athlete she truly was, not by UConn fans, not by those outside the UConn sphere. That's just one example, a few others occur to me, but hopefully that's enough to make my point. With the right situation Nurse would have ended up on the wall, but some things go beyond one's control.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Your teammates, your coach, your situation matters. They can be the difference in whether you get to be considered a GOAT, or even in the discussion, or even considered an AA. Nurse benefited in some ways from her situation, leading her to be a starter sooner than even some possible GOATs, yet she was hurt in other ways. For example, she really is quite the athlete, would be considered the most athletic of many DI teams and even many UConn DI teams of the past. Yet she coexisted with Williams the whole time and with Jefferson for two of those years. Because of that fateful circumstance I don't think she was viewed as the athlete she truly was, not by UConn fans, not by those outside the UConn sphere. That's just one example, a few others occur to me, but hopefully that's enough to make my point. With the right situation Nurse would have ended up on the wall, but some things go beyond one's control.

She's on my Wall.

Reaction Score
Maybe outsiders should not decide who belongs on the wall. Kia was kept off because the number of AA's on a team is artificially limited. In my opinion, if someone deserves to be an AA, he/she should be, irrespective of how many others there are on a team, or in the game, for that matter. The same applies to the wall.

Reaction Score
She really is the epitome of a team player, and that hurt her personal accolades in a sense. Her mentality was never "What can I do to reach AA status? What can I do to get on the wall? What can I do for myself?" but rather "What can I do for the team? What can I do to help my team succeed? What can I do as a leader?" I think that speaks volumes to not only what type of player she is, but what type of person she is as well. Regardless of what could have been had the situation been even slightly different, it was an absolute pleasure to see her in a Huskies uniform representing the school. It's going to be an even bigger pleasure to see how she evolves as an athlete and person in the WNBA and abroad. We're going to be hearing about Kia Nurse for quite a long time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not the first to say this, but it's a shame she was never an AA, because she deserves to be on that wall.

"...deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall!"

jacknicholson.jpg

Reaction Score
She really is the epitome of a team player, and that hurt her personal accolades in a sense. Her mentality was never "What can I do to reach AA status? What can I do to get on the wall? What can I do for myself?" but rather "What can I do for the team? What can I do to help my team succeed? What can I do as a leader?" I think that speaks volumes to not only what type of player she is, but what type of athlete she is as well. Regardless of what could have been had the situation been even slightly different, it was an absolute pleasure to see her in a Huskies uniform representing the school. It's going to be an even bigger pleasure to see how she evolves as an athlete and person in the WNBA and abroad. We're going to be hearing about Kia Nurse for quite a long time.
I agree with this post completely.
She was an amazing player, teammate, leader, spokesperson and seemingly human being.
While I seem to have been proven wrong about what type of pro she would be, I personally don't think she was quite an AÀ. As that is what determines being on the wall then I think she fell a bit shy.
It doesn't take away from her effort, leadership, defensive prowess, outside shooting, etc. She was so integral and popular at U Conn that I'd prefer not to criticize any aspect of her game, just that there were a few limitations that in my view made her shy of AÀ status. I actually think her being the fourth or fifth best player on last years team and her filling what was needed and expected of her so well actually fell right into her skill set.
She's already a better pro than I expected. You don't get on the wall unless you receive AÀ honors and it wasn't to be.
We all can truly admire her for all she was and is. If there was a wall for that she'd be at the top of it or close to it.
Bronx23

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
She is, simply, my favorite player on the team. There was bigger. There was quicker. There was more talented. There was no one who out competed her, no one who was fiercer, no one who was more determined to do whatever it took to make the team better. The heart of a Canadian hockey player, in the uniform of a basketball player.

Nice avatar Steph! :)

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
If I was in a street fight, I'd want her on my team. She is a remarkable person and I hope she is as big a success in the pros as she was at UCONN.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm not the first to say this, but it's a shame she was never an AA, because she deserves to be on that wall.

Man you are right! Some times the flash Cadillac players with less skill and production on offense AND defense get promoted by ESPN's talking and writing heads which I don't view as basketball knowledgeable.

Ok! MCP frowners avert your eyes. It may be the long hair framing her face but ... wow ... I once heard a women say to another women at a "early" HS reunion: "Wow! You got better!" She was referring to the lady's face. Kia was never a slouch but damn! (I can hear Nan typing right now!):);)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I spent many years around college athletes and, in many cases, their parents as well. Seeing that interview makes me want to shout: What parent wouldn’t be totally proud of a kid like Kia? I know I would be. You just get an undeniable feeling that she will be good at whatever she does in life.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man you are right! Some times the flash Cadillac players with less skill and production on offense AND defense get promoted by ESPN's talking and writing heads which I don't view as basketball knowledgeable.

Ok! MCP frowners avert your eyes. It may be the long hair framing her face but ... wow ... I once heard a women say to another women at a "early" HS reunion: "Wow! You got better!" She was referring to the lady's face. Kia was never a slouch but damn! (I can hear Nan typing right now!):);)
To me she is never more wonderful and beautiful as when she was displaying that direct and honest personality. Point the camera in her face and she just never seems rattled. I said it before, but she is going to be a real fan favorite here in NY.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I stated this last season when the Season Accolades were being handed out: if a player is designated as the NPOY or DPOY, they should automatically be an AA or as it relates to The UCONN Wall, a place on it.
Someone start the petitions!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom