Kia Nurse's Self-Evaluation as a High School Senior | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse's Self-Evaluation as a High School Senior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Some of you may remember the debate on The Boneyard just before the season began about how good Kia Nurse would be at UConn. I said that, based on what I saw on TV of her play at the World Championships, her physical skills were good but not great, and that her main contribution would be "above the shoulders". I compared her to Kelly Faris. Many other posters thought that evaluation was (ahem) overly conservative.

So my ears perked up when I listened to last night's Geno Auriemma show, on which she was interviewed. She said that when UConn recruited her as a high school senior, "I thought I was good, but I didn't think I was great. I wasn't sure that I could come to UConn and do the things that I wanted to do. By my parents kept saying that UConn didn't recruit just anybody."

So I guess I was not alone (at least as of a year ago) in my evaluation of her skills.

After seeing her play at the college level for a quarter of a season, I have to say that she has exceeded my expectations. Her 3-point shooting as a freshman is as good as Kelly's 3-point shooting as a senior. Her ability to penetrate and score is better than Kelly's ever was, and her defensive intensity and rebounding are at the same level as Kelly's, although I don't think her defensive skills -- particularly keeping guards in front of her -- are quite yet at Kelly's level. By the time she graduates, she will probably have more of an impact than Kelly -- something I didn't predict before the season started. I will still be mildly surprised if her name is on the wall at Gampel, however.

I remain impressed by her "above the shoulders" contribution. She seems to be totally in sync with the team and the coaches on both offense and defense, despite playing very fast. She is always in the right place, and her head is always in the game -- those are traits that she shares with Morgan Tuck. She is highly competitive but is always un-fazed and under control, regardless of the score. She will be a leader on the team for as long as she is in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Some of you may remember the debate on The Boneyard just before the season began about how good Kia Nurse would be at UConn. I said that, based on what I saw on TV of her play at the World Championships, her physical skills were good but not great, and that her main contribution would be "above the shoulders". I compared her to Kelly Faris. Many other posters thought that evaluation was (ahem) overly conservative.

So my ears perked up when I listened to last night's Geno Auriemma show, on which she was interviewed. She said that when UConn recruited her as a high school senior, "I thought I was good, but I didn't think I was great. I wasn't sure that I could come to UConn and do the things that I wanted to do. By my parents kept saying that UConn didn't recruit just anybody."

So I guess I was not alone (at least as of a year ago) in my evaluation of her skills.

After seeing her play at the college level for a quarter of a season, I have to say that she has exceeded my expectations. Her 3-point shooting as a freshman is as good as Kelly's 3-point shooting as a senior. Her ability to penetrate and score is better than Kelly's ever was, and her defensive intensity and rebounding are at the same level as Kelly's, although I don't think her defensive skills -- particularly keeping guards in front of her -- are quite yet at Kelly's level. By the time she graduates, she will probably have more of an impact than Kelly -- something I didn't predict before the season started. I will still be mildly surprised if her name is on the wall at Gampel, however.

I remain impressed by her "above the shoulders" contribution. She seems to be totally in sync with the team and the coaches on both offense and defense, despite playing very fast. She is always in the right place, and her head is always in the game -- those are traits that she shares with Morgan Tuck. She is highly competitive but is always un-fazed and under control, regardless of the score. She will be a leader on the team for as long as she is in Storrs.

I think she is going to get on the wall. Not certain of course. But her ability to attack the basket is special because of her head and her size. I've mentioned I thought her ceiling would be determined how well she can shoot.

Off-topic- I was also going to create a thread - I disputed with quite a few people I thought Jewel Lloyd wouldn't be near as good as she is. I argued with several people. I admit - I couldn't have been more wrong.

Reaction Score
Good defense trumps Jewel. We didn't have it the first 10 minutes but after that we kept her under control, paving the way to another blowout.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The more I see Kia play, the more she reminds me of Walt Frazier. A big guard, great defender, good offensive player, does everything well, makes excellent decisions, very cool under pressure. Her attire is decidedly understated--no full-length fur coats for Kia--but her game is similar.

Reaction Score
You have to make first team all American to get on the wall, I think she will make that team twice.

You think this year's world Cup helped her?
Wait till her Junior year after playing in the Olympics and finishing 2 seasons at Uconn.

This kid is just scratching the surface.

Reaction Score

"Ahem" - sounds like you're still trying to climb out from under that rather embarrassing thread you wrote projecting (based on watching a game on TV twice) the career of someone who had not yet played a UConn game. I think it would go much better for you if you just said something along the lines of, "boy was I ever a bonehead...I apologize and boy are we all ever happy with her now..." Then we could all just shake our heads in agreement and just move on as friends. Instead, you just have too much pride locked up in having to be right and in defending what was an uncalled for post about a kid, and made where she and her parents could see it. Using a statement from Kia to defend your original post seems both a little mean and more than a little twisted. Please just drop it, swallow your pride, and move on!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You have to make first team all American to get on the wall, I think she will make that team twice.

You think this year's world Cup helped her?
Wait till her Junior year after playing in the Olympics and finishing 2 seasons at Uconn.

This kid is just scratching the surface.

+1

Reaction Score
Simply put, this kid was seriously underated & improperly analyzed her senior year in high school. She has confidence & a self motivating engine deep in her gut. seriously the kid is playing like a (Top 10) recruit.

As the years go on she is only going to get better and will be (Barring No Severe Injury) a WNBA draft pick. I am still in disbelief & SMH they had this kid ranked in the Top 35. Inwardly I knew better, but kept my opinions shut up & hidden. ...i follow high school girls BB immensely and rarely do I approve of Olson's rankings as a whole.

(Courtney is another baller i am just waiting to see. Collier is a Top 5 in my mind. And Boykin should have stayed a Top 10). Someone didn't want Geno's class to look to spectacular than it is. And it is.

What I felt all along in my gut about Kia she is displaying.
Great pick up for the Uconn Women. Yea she gets it. She believes. She special.

Reaction Score
Kia nurse will be on the wall, how many freshmen have played at UConn, and not been afraid of making a mistake? Unlike most freshmen, she doesn't look over at Geno when she makes a mistake, expecting to be on the bench, but just continues playing. I like the comparison to " Clyde ", Kia Nurse has that " it ", that all the great ones do, she expects to win not only the games, but the personal battles.

Reaction Score
She is obviously a very skilled kid but what sets her apart is her mental strength. She has the cool of Sue Bird who just goes about her business and is quietly relentless. There is nothing to suggest she is going to do anything but continue to get better. Scary for the other guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Kia nurse will be on the wall, how many freshmen have played at UConn, and not been afraid of making a mistake? Unlike most freshmen, she doesn't look over at Geno when she makes a mistake, expecting to be on the bench, but just continues playing. I like the comparison to " Clyde ", Kia Nurse has that " it ", that all the great ones do, she expects to win not only the games, but the personal battles.

Great points. Kia will be on the wall. We all have seen freshmen make mistakes and then look over their shoulder at coach or just shy away from the ball for a while. Kia? She just plays on. Her basketball IQ, to me, is what separates her from other freshmen. She just gets it. Oh I do love the "Clyde" reference. Pretty cool player with style and a great basketball mind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh I do love the "Clyde" reference. Pretty cool player with style and a great basketball mind.
I still think of Kara Lawson whenever I see Nurse play.

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse reminds me of Lindsay Whalen because of her desire to play hard and take the ball to the basket. And we all know Geno loves Lindsay Whalen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom