Kia Nurse needs a pull up jumper | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse needs a pull up jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I'm a big fan of Kia's play: great defense, great motor, and always great effort. But I've noticed that she often gets unnecessary fouls by forcing the drive to the hoop rather than pulling up for the the mid range jumper. After reviewing some tape, I came to the conclusion that she doesn't have a "jump shot". She shoots (very accurately) a 3 point set shot, but her game would be really helped by having a shot she can get off after getting into the mid range. As it is now, once she puts her head down everyone knows she's going all the way to the hoop (which is not all bad as she's one of the best at doing that). I just think a little more variety in choice when beginning a drive would really add to her game. Agree? Disagree?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
mudcat said:
Let me start by saying I'm a big fan of Kia's play: great defense, great motor, and always great effort. But I've noticed that she often gets unnecessary fouls by forcing the drive to the hoop rather than pulling up for the the mid range jumper. After reviewing some tape, I came to the conclusion that she doesn't have a "jump shot". She shoots (very accurately) a 3 point set shot, but her game would be really helped by having a shot she can get off after getting into the mid range. As it is now, once she puts her head down everyone knows she's going all the way to the hoop (which is not all bad as she's one of the best at doing that). I just think a little more variety in choice when beginning a drive would really add to her game. Agree? Disagree?

I have seen her use the pull-up jumper, just not quite as many times as needed. She needs to mix it in a little more as you say, and recognize the defense's position re:charge/block. But she does have it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Guessing she's taken more pull-up jumpers than the rest of team combined since coming to UConn. She also barrels into players at times too. All of that is a result of driving more than anyone else.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season she did the stop & pop shot several times in a game! Not so much recently!
Personally I wish more of our girls used it!

Seems obvious, but apparently the coaches don't stress that in practice.

Reaction Score

She has one already and uses it quite a lot.

Reaction Score
She just seems out-of-control offensively. I've heard say that she's playing too fast. To me she's playing erratically, not as controlled as she was playing last year. Too many turnovers, too many charges, poor shot selection. If Chong could play, I'd be saying she should be starting.
Maybe it's the ol' sophomore jinx. The talent is there; so is the desire. I'm still in agreement with those who say that she'll get better as the year unfolds. We need her to!

Reaction Score
She just seems out-of-control offensively. I've heard say that she's playing too fast. To me she's playing erratically, not as controlled as she was playing last year. Too many turnovers, too many charges, poor shot selection. If Chong could play, I'd be saying she should be starting.
Maybe it's the ol' sophomore jinx. The talent is there; so is the desire. I'm still in agreement with those who say that she'll get better as the year unfolds. We need her to!

You think that Chong should start over Nurse?

Reaction Score

It's also possible that, coming off the success of her summer exploits, Kia has raised expectations--from others and for herself. Her occasional charges stem from aggression (and, yes, playing too quickly sometimes); I believe Geno likes the aggression part and will be hesitant to discourage Nurse in that regard. As for not starting Kia, I consider her a vital part of the Core Four. She may be the only remnant next year and thus the player around which next year's team is built.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kia has a very nice pull up jumper-2nd best on the team besides Stewie. She got into a mode where she is seeking contact on every occasion to the detriment of easy basket. I predicted Shea would have correct it by now but it has not been corrected-which makes me wrong again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just for point of reference, here are total personal fouls after nine games:
Collier 18
Williams 18
Stewart 16
Jefferson 16
Nurse 16
Tuck 9
Are offensive fouls tracked separately? Offensive fouls are probably more to the point.

Reaction Score

Welcome Geosfun - Geno has addressed this fast paced activity by saying that he does NOT want to pull in the reins on Nurse. He wants her aggressive and she will get adjusted (from the international game that is so physical) to the current NCAA play of NO TOUCHY!
Also, to answer some posters from above--Nurse has a pull-up jumper and one of the better ones too, as posted by Hoopsfan,Vamike,Msf22b,Kaizen, Sluconn, and Rshermvikes. As someone posted above, Nurse has the prettiest pull-up off the glass. The decision to pull-up or drive will get sharper as we go. In addition, Nurse draws the 3rd most fouls on the team--even more than MO. Her scoring is in double figures, IMO that scenario is nice as the 5th scorer on the team. Some might say, wait a minute. Nurse is 4th in ave. scoring. Well, from Geno's lips he views the Gabby/Collier combo as one starter. In fact, their minutes add up to 315 out of the possible 320 minutes. That spot (Gabby & Collier) scores 15 pts.,, 12 rebounds. 38 steals, and 11 blocks. So Nurse is a fantastic 5th starter or 4th if you like. Nurse is a high IQ role player who can do it all. Notice she is playing more point this year and is looking comfortable.
Nurse also has more assists than turnovers and less than 2 fouls per game. IMHO Geosfun and others are holding Nurse to a very high standard (as Geno does too.) Remember, she is only a Soph. And we have not even touched on her best part--her defense.
Sorry, but I can't classify this as a Sophomore jinx.

Reaction Score
Just for point of reference, here are total personal fouls after nine games:
Collier 18
Williams 18
Stewart 16
Jefferson 16
Nurse 16
Tuck 9
Can you break that down for each player into offensive and defensive fouls?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

In the spirt of Christmas: Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho!

Reaction Score

This has to be one of the most outragous posts I've read this season. Chong has never shown the prowess of Kia.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Some things are so obvious- just take a step back and look at what our offens and defense are doing vs the toughest schedule in the country so far- we rank just about first in everything on both sides of the ball. We're undefeated since she/Nurse has started as a freshman. She scores in double figures, defends and is relentless like Kelly Farris and Ashley Battle, and the offense runs like a clock. People from other boards must laugh at some of our "critiques" and "concerns". :)

Reaction Score
Kia has a very nice pull up jumper-2nd best on the team besides Stewie. She got into a mode where she is seeking contact on every occasion to the detriment of easy basket. I predicted Shea would have correct it by now but it has not been corrected-which makes me wrong again.
What goes around comes around.
I posted on this last month: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/kia-nurse.84297/page-2#post-1502114
Yes Kia has a pull up jumper; my point was that she could add a couple of baskets per game if she would seek it out and use it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom