Kia Nurse Named Top-10 candidate for the Nancy Lieberman Award | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse Named Top-10 candidate for the Nancy Lieberman Award

HGN

Reaction Score
From that list for the Award , there is some real good competition and players. The judges are going to have a hard time picking a winner. From the eight(8) players that I am familiar with , you really can't go wrong by picking either one of them.

All are deserving.

Reaction Score
I am a big Kia fan but I believe Sabrina Ionescu is supremely talented and the most complete guard and best deserving of the award. However, being a sophomore I think she will get passed over.

Reaction Score
I thought the Lieberman Award was for point guards. Or do they get a
little fuzzy about it?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am a big Kia fan but I believe Sabrina Ionescu is supremely talented and the most complete guard and best deserving of the award. However, being a sophomore I think she will get passed over.
Ionescu may well be the best all-around offensive guard in the nation, but the next time you have an opportunity to see her play, watch her on the defensive end. Ionescu can’t hold a candle to Kia.

Kia is one of the most fundamentally sound defensive players I’ve ever seen. Her footwork is tremendous, hands are always up and she doesn’t leave her feet for a ball fake. She fights over the top of screens, steps in to take charges and constantly communicates defensive switches to her teammates.

Reaction Score
Ionescu may well be the best all-around offensive guard in the nation, but the next time you have an opportunity to see her play, watch her on the defensive end. Ionescu can’t hold a candle to Kia.

Kia is one of the most fundamentally sound defensive players I’ve ever seen. Her footwork is tremendous, hands are always up and she doesn’t leave her feet for a ball fake. She fights over the top of screens, steps in to take charges and constantly communicates defensive switches to her teammates.

No argument there regarding defense but the award is not a defensive award. Sabrina's record-breaking number of triple-doubles speak to her all-around capabilities. They are not going unnoticed.

Reaction Score
I agree with you! While Kia is having a great senior season, I too believe Ionescu is the best guard in the country!
Bronx23

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
They used to be fuzzy about it, but this year they have five specific position awards, so they may get a bit more rigorous about positions.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It appears that they get very fuzzy about it as candidate Kelsey Mitchell and last year's winner Kelsey Plum seem to consider passing as an after thought.

Did you actually watch Plum play at all last year? I'd guess no, because she certainly did pass the ball and made an effort to get her teammates involved. She averaged 5 assists per game last year and had over 500 in her career. This "never passes the ball" narrative that persists is completely wrong and totally lazy. Kia Nurse and Katie Lou Samuelson aren't going to get to 500 assists in their careers. Does that mean they never pass the ball?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No argument there regarding defense but the award is not a defensive award. Sabrina's record-breaking number of triple-doubles speak to her all-around capabilities. They are not going unnoticed.
I’m really not sure that the award is an offensive award either. Unless we go back to the days of 6 on 6 Women’s Basketball, some times referred to as “Basquette”, where 3 players were confined to offense and 3 confined to defense, I’m pretty sure guards are supposed to play both offense and defense.

Just saying...;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did you actually watch Plum play at all last year? I'd guess no, because she certainly did pass the ball and made an effort to get her teammates involved. She averaged 5 assists per game last year and had over 500 in her career. This "never passes the ball" narrative that persists is completely wrong and totally lazy. Kia Nurse and Katie Lou Samuelson aren't going to get to 500 assists in their careers. Does that mean they never pass the ball?
While I agree that Plum was an excellent passer, it should be pointed out that she had the ball in her hand all the time, as Washington ran their offense through her.

As for Kia & Lou, on a team where everyone handles the ball, and everyone passes the ball, they will both end up with 400+ assists, barring injury.

Reaction Score
I thought the Lieberman Award was for point guards. Or do they get a
little fuzzy about it?

At the start of the season when they initiate this list, weren’t most people thinking Nurse would be the starting PG for UConn? I suppose it’d do Nurse a big disservice to pull her off the list now during this good season she’s having. Do these awards cooperate with each other? “Hey Drysdale Award (for SG’s), we’ve decided Nurse isn’t really a PG this season but she’s still having a great season. Do you suppose you could make her a prominent part of your nominees?” Probably doesn’t work that way.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
While I agree that Plum was an excellent passer, it should be pointed out that she had the ball in her hand all the time, as Washington ran their offense through her.

Yes, true, a good point. I just get irritated when people suggest, imply, etc. that Plum was a selfish player that never passed the ball. I have only rarely watched Mitchell play, but she's on the verge of the 500 career assist mark herself. It's simply not possible to achieve that without routinely trying to set up teammates.

As for Kia & Lou, on a team where everyone handles the ball, and everyone passes the ball, they will both end up with 400+ assists, barring injury.

Kia is a few assists short of 400 currently, so she will definitely get there and beyond. Katie Lou is only in the 250 range, she has a long way to go.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kia and all the young ladies nominated. Having said that, I do wish that since they call it the "Point Guard Award" that they would limit the nominees to players who are actually PG's. I love Kia to pieces, but most everyone knows the only time she plays true PG is when little Miss Dangerfield is not on the floor. I suspect the same is true of several of the other nominees...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, true, a good point. I just get irritated when people suggest, imply, etc. that Plum was a selfish player that never passed the ball. I have only rarely watched Mitchell play, but she's on the verge of the 500 career assist mark herself. It's simply not possible to achieve that without routinely trying to set up teammates.

Kia is a few assists short of 400 currently, so she will definitely get there and beyond. Katie Lou is only in the 250 range, she has a long way to go.
Lou's got another year and a half to get there. She currently averages a little over 3 assists per game. With another 18 games this year assuming the Huskies go all the way to the finals, getting to 300 this year is a pretty good bet. Next year, I expect Lou to move to the 2-guard with Z, Pheesa, MW up front and Danger at pg. So again, assuming she's healthy (fingers crossed) I see Lou getting to 400 assists.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
At the start of the season when they initiate this list, weren’t most people thinking Nurse would be the starting PG for UConn? I suppose it’d do Nurse a big disservice to pull her off the list now during this good season she’s having. Do these awards cooperate with each other? “Hey Drysdale Award (for SG’s), we’ve decided Nurse isn’t really a PG this season but she’s still having a great season. Do you suppose you could make her a prominent part of your nominees?” Probably doesn’t work that way.

That's the problem with these pre-season, early-season, mid-season, and late-season lists and announcements. Things change, but it would embarrass the folks making the lists to admit they'd screwed up.

That said, even before the obnoxious number of reveals, I remember scratching my head at some of the nominees announced late in the season. There are always a few shooting guards maybe even the occasional wing.

Re: Kelsey Plum, IMO one of her problems in her transition to the WNBA is her rumored insistence that she play only point guard -- no off-guard or combo guard. I think the season would have gone much more smoothly with her as a combo -- she could fill in for Moriah when she's resting and KMac when she's resting.

Reaction Score

Excellent. My thinking about Kelsey Plum has been adjusted. Thanks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

How nice. How realistic do you think her chances are of winning this award? There are some outstanding guards in Division 1 WCBB this year. You know who they are. I know what it is, but I don't know the criteria used for selection for the Lieberman award. Here's what I found:

It started as an idea back in early 1999. The Rotary Club of Detroit wanted to create a service project that featured women and sports. "Our primary objective is to support women's collegiate basketball by recognizing outstanding athletes. We are honored to have Nancy Lieberman's support as she serves as a role model for all women athletes."

Nicknamed "Lady Magic" for her passing prowess, Nancy Lieberman has lead an exemplary career, while embodying the spirit, determination and selflessness indicative of a successful point guard. This project would create financial opportunities to promote worthwhile organizations.

In the tradition of the prestigious Lombardi Award, which is presented to the best lineman in college football by the Houston Rotary Club, the Nancy Lieberman Award, a national athletic award honoring the nation's top collegiate point guard in women's Division I basketball was created.

[Rest of the article]

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My opinion is that Kia and about half the players on that list should be on the shooting guard list. If you value defense and shooting efficiency, Kia would have to be near the top of the list. I think Crystal belongs on the Lieberman list.

Ionescu is a talented player and a bit unusual. Sort of like Kelsey Plum, she has the ball almost all the time. I don't think that works in the UConn system. It's much harder to defend crisp passing from 5 players than from 1.

Reaction Score
It is an honor to be listed in the top 10 - even when you are not really a point guard!
It is a bit weird that they have started a bunch of position awards at a time when WCBB positions are becoming much less defined. Should make for some interesting lists. Wonder if some will make more than one list if other awards list finalists.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What you say is true. However, she earned that selfish reputation because of how she played her first two seasons. But from about a third way through her junior season, she started passing the ball and from that point on the team started on their path to the final four. She became a passing point guard from that point on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom