Kia Nurse MVP of WNBL | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse MVP of WNBL

Reaction Score
Wow, that was fast! :p:D

Kia Nurse named MVP - UC Capitals

"A rising WNBA star with the New York Liberty, Nurse was the WNBL’s leading scorer this season averaging 21.3 points per game plus 4.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists. Playing in her second season in the WNBL, the Canadian scored double figures in every game and produced a WNBL career-best 33 points against the Southside Flyers in Round 14. "

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very happy for close runner up Brianna Turner as well. :D

Nurse polled 94 votes to win the award over the Adelaide Lightning’s first-year star import Brianna Turner (88 votes) and a trio of Australian Opals – Melbourne Boomers co-captain Cayla George (70), Perth Lynx guard Katie-Rae Ebzery (69) and Adelaide’s Steph Talbot (65) – rounding out the Top 5.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"A rising WNBA star with the New York Liberty, Nurse was the WNBL’s leading scorer this season averaging 21.3 points per game plus 4.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists.
Kia Nurse is MVP for WNBL!!! Odd how things turn out. Kia also made the WNBA All-Star game. Most folks would have thought the star would be Gabby Williams when they graduated. Same with Collier and Samuelson. Well it is early in their careers. This point guard thing may be best for Gabby since she is too small to play forward in the WNBA. Maybe Lou can gain her coach's confidence in Chicago or orchestrate a trade to a better opportunity.

Reaction Score
Every time I see Kia earn another honor (emphasizing the word "earn") through hard work and perseverance it brings a smile to my face, recalling those BY'er's who never got over the fact that she replaced Saniya Chong as a starter in only her 3rd game as a Freshman, and never relinquished that role. She was underrated by a number of individuals on this board who claimed she'd never be more than a serviceable bench player in the WNBA. Thanks for proving them wrong, Kia. Best of luck to you going forward. BTW, Bria Hartley will not be returning to the NY Liberty so send KLS on over. A change of scenery would do her some good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Every time I see Kia earn another honor (emphasizing the word "earn") through hard work and perseverance it brings a smile to my face, recalling those BY'er's who never got over the fact that she replaced Saniya Chong as a starter in only her 3rd game as a Freshman, and never relinquished that role. She was underrated by a number of individuals on this board who claimed she'd never be more than a serviceable bench player in the WNBA. Thanks for proving them wrong, Kia. Best of luck to you going forward. BTW, Bria Hartley will not be returning to the NY Liberty so send KLS on over. A change of scenery would do her some good.

I'm Carnac, and I approve this post!!! ;)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
One of my all time favorites. Everybody gets a like for supporting Kia.
Maybe Geno can get her to come back for a practice and teach the team how to play Canadian style.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Such a great kid and story. Likable and well spoken off the court, and an absolute terror on the court. She really is one of my all time favorites, and the "nasty piece of business" reference regarding her came from none other than her father.

She's a player that everyone wants on their team, and no one wants to play against. So proud of all she's accomplished and earned, as another poster pointed out.

Reaction Score
I think most if not all of her starting UCONN teammates are on the Wall. I would have thought that 14.5 points per game plus Defensive Player of the Year would have made the 10-player AA cut but there was a lot of talent in WCBB her Senior year. She's eclipsed most of those players drafted ahead of her at the WNBA level.

Reaction Score
Kia should have been on the wall..she was the consistent glue as a four year starter and then Defensive Player of the Year! Ridiculous she isn't on the wall! Congrat's to all her achievements on and off the court!

Reaction Score
She never took a play off, always looked to pass to an open teammate , even on days that everything was going in. Sabrina is going to love playing with Kia.

Reaction Score
I so miss her in a UConn uniform. I wish our present SG had her edge and fire.

Reaction Score
Update - KLS traded to Dallas for Azura Stevens and draft pick.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She had Geno's trust from Day 1. Not too many did. I loved her team play. She's a winner.

Reaction Score
A familiar picture.....

1581870653715.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Kia Nurse continues to do great things down under leading her team into the finals on the deciding game in a tough 3 game series. (Even if her shooting numbers were not good)

and guess who played all 40 minutes. ;)

and Sophie Cunningham, making her "mark" on the WNBL in a more infamous way

The fourth quarter was met with a hot start by Melbourne, whose seven-point run put them within four points of the Capitals. However, a big three by Olivia Epoupa put a stop to that momentum swing and a Cunningham personal foul on Nurse sent her to the line for three, all of which she made, to end the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to agree that they will be a force with Stokes and Charles benefitting from good passes inside.

Reaction Score
In addition, Marine Johannes (underrated only by those who don't know of her) just signed a multi-year contract and Asia Durr will be returning from injury. Could be an interesting year for The Liberty. Plenty of young talent and a new coach, owner, and venue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom