Kia Nurse / Aaliyah Edwards Interview on TSN

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I tried to link the interview, but TSN has us blocked south of the border. Sorry the video quality is low -- apparently the iPhone's screen record to YouTube resolution is lacking.

If you have a VPN (or are in Canada) and want to see the higher quality version... UConn's Edwards on how playing for Canada's national team prepared her for the season

Nia Nurse is an excellent interviewer. Pleasingly articulate. She has a future in the media after her playing days are over if she should choose to go in that direction. Of course she may also choose to go into coaching. No doubt she'll be successful in whatever post playing career she chooses.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Nia Nurse is an excellent interviewer. She has a future in the media after her playing days are over if she should choose to go in that direction. Of course she may also choose to go the coaching route. She'll be successful in what ever she does afterwards.

She graduated from the Chris Daily School of Media Relations, after all.

But seriously, she gets better and better with each piece I see -- I think she's definitely found her post-basketball calling.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like @Carnac , literally the first thing that stood out to me is that Kia Nurse is a very well spoken and intelligent interviewer. I can see a future in sports announcing for her!

Liya is a stud and WILL be an AA while at UCONN. If not her sophomore year, definitely by her junior year IMHO.

I really wanted Liya to answer Kia's question on "how were your expectations of what UCONN would be like different from the reality". She's a great kid but did not answer the question.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, Aaliyah probably learned at the CD School of Media Relations the footwork needed to step around potentially delicate interview questions without drawing a whistle.

Kia sounded to me very much like Kathryn Tappen, the longtime NBC hockey announcer / commentator. That's saying something because Kathryn has decades of on-air experience and is probably 20 years more senior than Kia.

Frankly, I think a sports broadcasting career is a step too low for Kia to aspire to. She should set her sights on being the press attache to the Canadian Prime Minister before her media career is over.

Reaction Score
Saw this on Twitter earlier and it's well done. Sorry that it's blocked from the US. This is the frustrating thing about TSN and ESPN. My recollection is that there is some type of partnership, or ESPN has a smaller ownership piece in the company. Heck, their flagship shows are both called SportsCentre / SportsCenter. I grew up watching a lot of great ESPN shows from the Sports Reporters, NFL Countdown, PTI, etc.

Not sure what is known in the US, however Kia and her family have been making some moves in media over the past couple years. Kia's being doing work with TSN during the men's and women's March Madness tournaments the last few years. It's now extended to Raptors pre-game coverage and pieces like this on TSN. The Nurse family also had a show with the entire family part of it which I enjoyed watching.

I think there are several areas where Kia will be able to leverage her skills after basketball. She's also got an interest in fashion I read a while back to. And seeing what her father has been able to accomplish himself, she's getting great advice along the way.

Reaction Score
Agree, agree, agree with all above - Kia is already much better at the mike than many of the established WBB commentators. Damnnnnnnnnn!

Reaction Score
Notice to ESPN, Fox Sports, SNY, etc. Run, don’t walk to pick up Kia Nurse as a sportscaster when her playing days are over. What a savvy and refreshing voice!

Personally, I'd like her to stay connected to TSN and help grow the exposure up here ?. What she has been doing is making an impact, especially for the women's game in Canada.

You guys have a head start on that and already have a few of our best and brightest down there. We need to catch up!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom