Kia is rocking Indiana!!!! | The Boneyard

Kia is rocking Indiana!!!!

Reaction Score
Wow ... 23 pts in 25 mins

Screenshot (7).png

Reaction Score
This is the best I've seen Kia ever look on a basketball court. She's been the dominant player on the floor offensively and/or defensively for much of the game.

Kia opened her senior college year very strongly, and was leading the nation in three point shooting percentage in January. But she didn't really sustain it, and faded somewhat in the second half of the season. Nice to see her back on an upward glidepath.

Reaction Score
This is insane.
Near the end of 4Q, Kia 26 pts, Kelsey Mitchell 16 pts, and they announced the player of the game is Kelsey Mitchell.

It's the Fever player of the game, since it's a Fever broadcast.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And I have news for the Kia naysayers - she CAN create her own shot. She did it multiple times. I simply will never understand the people on here who doubted she'd be successful in the pros. :rolleyes:

I think people who say that about Kia mean that she doesn't have the ability to create space for herself and rise up and make a jump shot. They're right; Kia can not do that. As athletic as she is, she doesn't have the ability to rise and shoot. The girl doesn't have hops. She's more of a stationary jump shooter or one who can come off a screen and take a shot. She's better when her feet are set but if she's closely guarded she'll need help to get space to take a shot. She can also use her speed and drive to the basket though she's better at drawing contact than finishing the shot.

There are a lot of different ways to score. Kia makes open shots, she can score in transition and she's very opportunistic on the offensive boards. She's a player and is pro-ready.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think people who say that about Kia mean that she doesn't have the ability to create space for herself and rise up and make a jump shot. They're right; Kia can not do that. As athletic as she is, she doesn't have the ability to rise and shoot. The girl doesn't have hops. She's more of a stationary jump shooter or one who can come off a screen and take a shot. She's better when her feet are set but if she's closely guarded she'll need help to get space to take a shot. She can also use her speed and drive to the basket though she's better at drawing contact than finishing the shot.

There are a lot of different ways to score. Kia makes open shots, she can score in transition and she's very opportunistic on the offensive boards. She's a player and is pro-ready.
I hear what you are saying but that's not the only way to "create your own shot", and Kia created her own shot several times. Jab step fake, got the defender out of position, stepped back, created space, and made the shot. No she's not athletic like Loyd or Canada or others who have better ups, but she scores in a variety of ways and uses her skills to create her own shot. She's quick and strong and has different skill sets, but she's spectacular and can create. Not that she needs to do that to be successful... ;)

On edit and the purpose of my semi-sarcastic comments was that there were several on the board who thought Kia would be a good role player in the W because she was not athletic enough and couldn't create her own shot. While we can debate the minutia of what "creating your own shot means", I'm tweaking the people who doubted her, because right now, she's on the short list for consideration for ROY...

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
34 points for Kia! What a game!

It looks like they'll keep her!!! While I'm very happy for her early success with the Liberty, I would like to see her play well consistently throughout the season, and hopefully into the playoffs. The only thing that surprises me is the nay-sayers that thought she would have difficulty adapting to play at this level. Kia was in rhythm tonight. The basket probably looked like the size of a hoola hoop to her tonight. Lots of "catch and shoot" shots behind screens tonight. I missed the game live. I think I'll watch the replay on the WNBA League Pass. ;)

Remember this thought........................NEVER under estimate the heart of a champion!!! Kia Nurse is a champion!!! And a Husky for life!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
All this does is make the loss to Notre Dame even more baffling.
Easy. The pro game isn't called as close. She can push off for shots and lower her shoulder a bit inside. As I've said, her aggressive style of play is better suited to the pro game than the college. Just wait until her opponents overreact to her style. She's only going to get better. She has Russell Westbrook's aggressiveness, but she doesn't depend on the refs to make calls and put her at the line, and she doesn't need the ball to be effective. However at UConn she wasn't required to come off of screens since that was Lou's job. Now she's showing that's part of her game. Nasty.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She has Russell Westbrook's aggressiveness, but she doesn't depend on the refs to make calls and put her at the line, and she doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Agreed. She has a very high motor. Don't think her coaches have not noticed that. Kia can play 40 minutes if she's asked to. Imagine what she's going to be like in 2-3 years. :eek:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed. She has a very high motor. Don't think her coaches have not noticed that. Kia can play 40 minutes if she's asked to. Imagine what she's going to be like in 2-3 years. :eek:
Let's see. Size, speed, aggressiveness, an outside shot, constant motion. What the Liberty needs is to tank this season and get Lou. Okay, call me f&*(ing crazy.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let's see. Size, speed, aggressiveness, an outside shot, constant motion. What the Liberty needs is to tank this season and get Lou. Okay, call me f&*(ing crazy.

I like your thinking, but it ain't gonna happen. The Liberty has a first year coach (Katie Smith) who is trying desperately to win every game she can. Lou should go very high in the draft as should Collier. How high, I'm not prepared to say at this time. I do predict they'll both go in the 1st round. The good thing is that no matter where Lou goes, there's a real good chance there will be another UConn player on the roster.

I just hope that wherever she goes, it's a good fit for her, they let her play, and take full advantage of her skill set. Remember, Teaira McCowan (Miss St) and Kalani Brown (Baylor) are coming out next year. They may fit a team's needs more than Lou. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom