Kia drafted ahead of Gabby? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kia drafted ahead of Gabby?

Reaction Score
She came in as a good shooter. ~41% from 3pt in her freshman year. That's just as good a many if not most in WCBB.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I too believe Gabby will be drafted ahead of Kia, I think a better argument might well be that so far this season Kia has been the most valuable player on the team. In fact she’s been absolutely sensational.

Kia leads the team in minutes played and points scored. While Danger is running the point. Kia appears to be running everything else. She’s constantly barking out orders to her teammates, particularly on defense, where she is seldom if ever out of position. Kia’s footwork, body position and ability to switch on defense is a thing of beauty.

Lastly there is her incredible toughness. I’ve said before that Kia plays basketball like a hockey player. Nowhere is this more apparent then when she lowers her head and drives to the basket. Any defender brave enough to get in front of Kia does so at their peril.

Kia will get drafted in the WNBA after Gabby, but her intelligence, toughness and ability will be a welcome addition to whichever team is fortunate enough to draft her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She came in as a good shooter. ~41% from 3pt in her freshman year. That's just as good a many if not most in WCBB.
Yeah, but she struggled on FTs for the first part of the season. By the end of the season, she was solid. She's even better now.

Reaction Score
I think Kia will be successful in the WNBA and will be whatever the team that drafts her needs her to be.

She will not be available after the first round of the draft. There’s a reason why Geno assigns her to the best offensive guard on the other team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Kia will be successful in the WNBA and will be whatever the team that drafts her needs her to be.

She will not be available after the first round of the draft. There’s a reason why Geno assigns her to the best offensive guard on the other team.

There is a lot of concern and speculation here in the yard about WHEN Kia will go. The most important thing we should care about is WHERE Kia goes.

We can only hope that the team she goes to is a great fit for her, unlike KML going high in the 1st round to Seattle, then being delegated to "pine duty", where she has languished for 3 years under former (fired) head coach Jenny Boucek.

Hopefully KML will seeing more playing time (and more love) from their new coach Dan Hughes (formerly of the San Antonio Stars).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The only way to get a good idea of this is to get inside the heads of WNBA coaches and executives. What are they looking for? How specific are their needs?

If a team's brass is specifically looking for an off or combo guard with good size and strength, shoots well, handles the ball well, passes well, has an off-the-charts basketball IQ, is an exceptional defender (both individual and team) who will score adequately but not a ton, if Kia and Gabby are both available, Kia will go first.

I'm not sure which position Gabby would play in the W. I would assume she'd be an undersized 3 (not so undersized since she plays so much bigger than her height). She's need to increase her range to be a 2. So I think if a team wants a great athlete, but they're somewhat flexible as to positions and roles on the team, if they're both available, Gabby goes first. I've noticed a bit of a change even in the last year in that the W isn't so hung up about roles as they were a few years ago. Certainly some teams are comfortable with a three-guard lineup at times. If one of those drafts before Kia's gone, Gabby goes first.

They both go in the first round. I think one will be a lottery pick, not likely that both will.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom