Kia and Phee Impress Their Elders | The Boneyard

Kia and Phee Impress Their Elders

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT:

“It's funny how Kia in a lot of ways was kind of in the shadows at UConn. And you look at her now, and she's one of the premier players in the world, not only our league, but what she does with the Canadian national team,” Taurasi said. “She just plays so dang hard. It's nice to see someone compete like that.”

Tina and DT:

“Napheesa has definitely stepped up to everything that coach Reeves need her to do,” Charles said. “I don't think you could ever fill a void with what Maya Moore brings to the court, but she's definitely making a difference.”
Or, as Taurasi put it: “She looks like a 10-year vet.”

Good read I stole from one of my betters:

StorrsCentral - The next generation of WNBA Huskies shine on All-Star Weekend

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another good read about Kia, also stolen from one of my betters:

New York Liberty star Kia Nurse talks about becoming a three-level scorer, WNBA All-Star and her team's playoff chances | NBA.com Canada | The official site of the NBA

"After helping the Canberra Capitals of the Australian WNBL win a championship, Nurse came back home and started to prepare for the grind of another WNBA campaign. Among seeing friends, family and making her debut on T.V. in an analyst role, she finally sought out the help of a trainer to help her take the next step.
Nurse reached out to Justin Alliman, founder of Dream Chaserzzz Basketball and one of Canada's well-respected skill development trainers. The two of them went to work on a plan that would help the 23-year-old become a more complete offensive threat."

New York Liberty star Kia Nurse talks about becoming a three-level scorer, WNBA All-Star and her team's playoff chances | NBA.com Canada | The official site of the NBA

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
DT:

“It's funny how Kia in a lot of ways was kind of in the shadows at UConn. And you look at her now, and she's one of the premier players in the world, not only our league, but what she does with the Canadian national team,” Taurasi said. “She just plays so dang hard. It's nice to see someone compete like that.”

Tina and DT:

“Napheesa has definitely stepped up to everything that coach Reeves need her to do,” Charles said. “I don't think you could ever fill a void with what Maya Moore brings to the court, but she's definitely making a difference.”
Or, as Taurasi put it: “She looks like a 10-year vet.”

Good read I stole from one of my betters:

StorrsCentral - The next generation of WNBA Huskies shine on All-Star Weekend

Nice quote at the very bottom. :D

“What [head coach Geno Auriemma] and [associate head coach Chris Dailey] have been able to do there, I don't think it's ever gonna be able to be replicated by anyone ever again,” Collier said on the eve of the All-Star Game, as she walked the orange carpet. “So I think we're all just so honored and proud to be part of their legacy.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

“What [head coach Geno Auriemma] and [associate head coach Chris Dailey] have been able to do there, I don't think it's ever gonna be able to be replicated by anyone ever again,” Collier said on the eve of the All-Star Game, as she walked the orange carpet. “So I think we're all just so honored and proud to be part of their legacy.”

Thanks @eebmg . I missed that very classy remark from Phee.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 I can't get to the links for the full article but between your post and @eebmg I get the gist of the articles. Thanks. I am older than Kia and Phee combined. They have both been impressing me for a while now- on and off the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 I can't get to the links for the full article but between your post and @eebmg I get the gist of the articles. Thanks. I am older than Kia and Phee combined. They have both been impressing me for a while now- on and off the court.

Well, I wish you could get the full article. It is articles like that which point out how UConn prepares it's athletes for the WNBA and beyond in a way no one else does. Any Top 100 or 60 high school athlete who does not strive for the option of heading to UConn AND has the WNBA as a goal is short shifting herself. I have to think it is because they think they will never start at UConn or just don't want to work that hard.

The most dominant extended family in women's basketball in the world. Wouldn't you want a shot at that?

I close with a somewhat related observation from a recent recruit:

“When you hear women’s basketball, the first thing that pops in your mind is UConn,” Westbrook told the Hartford Courant on Monday. “They’re always winning, and they’re always one of the best teams at the end of the year. Coming here and seeing it firsthand, it makes complete sense why that is.

“I’m really happy I made the decision that I did.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This is exactly why some of these recruits in the next 3-4 upcoming classes that are not sure where to go (that don't have their heart set on a particular program), should seriously consider UConn. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

A gift from Russ. Sure ain't her size!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Equal time for Phee: "Being confident in who you are." Good game = fried Reeses Cup??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"A statement game from Napheesa" :) Just so impressed with her charge into the WNBA elite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom