OT: - Key West recs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Key West recs

Reaction Score
I would love to do the drive but we're already kind of shoehorning this trip in, and between the connections through Miami and the drive to and from Key West it looks like it would take up a good amount of that time, versus direct flights in between JFK and Key West, which are just over three hours each way. Also, Mrs. 8893 has vertigo and doesn't dig long bridges over water, so I don't think it would be nearly as enjoyable for her. Finally, with the rental car shortages right now, adding a car to this trip seems unnecessary otherwise when it appears that almost everything in Key West itself is walkable.

As an alternative, would it make sense to rent a car for a day trip drive while we are in Key West? Or do you think something like the Dry Tortugas trip you suggested would be a better use of our time?
Don't drive it's not worth the 4 hour drive imo

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would love to do the drive but we're already kind of shoehorning this trip in, and between the connections through Miami and the drive to and from Key West it looks like it would take up a good amount of that time, versus direct flights in between JFK and Key West, which are just over three hours each way. Also, Mrs. 8893 has vertigo and doesn't dig long bridges over water, so I don't think it would be nearly as enjoyable for her. Finally, with the rental car shortages right now, adding a car to this trip seems unnecessary otherwise when it appears that almost everything in Key West itself is walkable.

As an alternative, would it make sense to rent a car for a day trip drive while we are in Key West? Or do you think something like the Dry Tortugas trip you suggested would be a better use of our time?

I love driving and love driving scenic/historical routes.

But do the Dry Tortugas boat ride every time over driving the bridges. Just look at the map. Even when you zoom in on Key West, Dry Tortugas is barely a blip on the screen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have none of us completely rained on the parade with a reminder these October trips are in prime hurricane season and this can all be nothing more than a wish to visit?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have none of us completely rained on the parade with a reminder these October trips are in prime hurricane season and this can all be nothing more than a wish to visit?
Thanks. I was wondering about that.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

Imagine being there for Fantasy Fest and a hurricane coming through. Not sure I would want to be bunkered down with some of those people.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but if there is no hurricane it's lovely. And hurricanes hitting that exact spot are rare.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't agree, we love the drive.
I have no doubt that I would love the drive.

I have little doubt that my wife would not; and we have a limited amount of time in any event. Given the nature of this trip, the risk of diminishing returns is too high.

Reaction Score
been there a bunch of times. so many bars !!! we used to look at jimmy buffett albums and see the places that he listed in his liner notes and visit them, which led us to louie's, heaven, pepe's. also suggest the green parrot, schooner wharf and rick's - were told a great story about a bartender with a fake arm there... there's also a good rooftop bar, above what used to be fast buck freddie's, as well the previously recommended garden of eden - great story from eden as well. stayed the pier, southernmost, vrbo, b&b - all good. also love the drive down there, but it is a one lane road for a good portion. get out on the water, if you can, and be prepared to do a lot of walking, and partying, down there - and take lots of photos, so that you can remember (some of) your escapades. cheers !!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

At his pace, @Eleven will answer you in early July '23. That was a solid first post.

I'd vote Dry Tortugas, but only because that was my takeaway for what I'd do 'next time.'

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yes, Mallory at sunset is a great bit of Americana.
As for swinging on boats, I've always stayed monogamous while out at sea.

Reaction Score
Key West is a wild place but fun place. We went on a snorkeling trip out of Key West and on the way back to the dock, our captain Rhett cut the turn too sharp so that the bow of another boat broke some glass on our boat. Fortunately, my buddies and I weren't cut but several people had minor cuts. I guess Rhett partied a bit too much. Besides that, the snorkeling was a nice adventure.

Later that day while watching the sun go down at Mallory square, a party boat went past and several people on board mooned the crowd. Seemed like a typical day in Key West.

Reaction Score
sorry, personal matters took me off line for most of the day. If you have time limitations, choose Dry Tortugas over driving the Keys. The drive is best enjoyed when you can take your time to make stops at various places. We had always done the “racehorse” drive to get from MIami or FtL to KW, or reverse. Then we did the bike ride and realized how much good stuff we missed. When you can do the drive as an activity instead of just transport, that’s the time to take advantage of all that the entire chain of islands has to offer.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If it matters, the bridges are a few feet above the water. No heights involved

Reaction Score
Mostly true. A couple of exceptions... The 7 Mile Bridge, which runs from approx MM 40 to 33 does rise about 60’ over the water. We wisely heeded good advice to get shuttled over that bridge.
There was another bridge around MM 60 something that I not so fondly recall. I don’t care for heights (why I stopped growing at 5’9”). I led for most of our ride but for this bridge I had the Mrs take the lead and I rode behind looking only at her back tire. That was right before our stop for the first night and man was I glad to see the tiki bar after that one.
I also recall a couple other bridges with height but as they had high guard rails it didn’t bother me so much and thus, I can’t say for sure where exactly they were located.

Reaction Score
KW is cool, was going to build a house down there, but changed my mind. Probably will build near Vero insead.

Willy T's can be fun.

Reaction Score
I've made the drive from Miaimi to Key West a number of times. With no traffic you can do it in a litttle over two and a half hours, but it's four or five when heavy. I love the drive, even rented a convertible once to open up the scenery. If you're not in a rush you can go east at Key Largo and hit Alabama Jack's or stop in Islamorada for pie. But driving doesn't stress me, it's not for everyone.

Reaction Score
I've made the drive from Miaimi to Key West a number of times. With no traffic you can do it in a litttle over two and a half hours, but it's four or five when heavy. I love the drive, even rented a convertible once to open up the scenery. If you're not in a rush you can go east at Key Largo and hit Alabama Jack's or stop in Islamorada for pie. But driving doesn't stress me, it's not for everyone.
I agree, I love the drive as well but I enjoy driving and bridges don't bother me. I rented a Mustang Convertible one time and it made the trip very enjoyable. The cruise control came in handy as well as they can be strict about speed limits in the lower keys so I just set it to the speed limit while an officer tailed me.

Reaction Score
I agree, I love the drive as well but I enjoy driving and bridges don't bother me. I rented a Mustang Convertible one time and it made the trip very enjoyable. The cruise control came in handy as well as they can be strict about speed limits in the lower keys so I just set it to the speed limit while an officer tailed me.

I am susceptible to road rage, but in this case, the drive itself (with multiple stops) is the event. You shouldn't do it if the destination is the only thing that matters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom