Key to season--Phil Nolan | The Boneyard

Key to season--Phil Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel I know what Im going to get with Shabazz Boatright Daniels and Calhoun. I do not like Tyler Orlander--hes had all the chances in the world to improve and he has not--on top of which he is not a 5 man. To me losing Wolf was a neutron bomb. No hes not Pau Gasol but I feel he couldve been the final piece to a team capable of winning a chip. He was our 7-1 260 24 minute rim protector and 6=8 easy points next year--now we have a more athletic much smaller man playing C who showed a few signs in the last few games. But it is imperative he plays well for this team--I mean well. I have little confidence in playing time returns from our freshmen. They are both back ups and developmental types. Nolan is much more skilled than either of them and certainly Wolf had a big body with skills none of these s guys have. I like Samuel and the transfer kid as the bench--we have 6 but we need Nolan to take advantage of the space we will create in the 4-1 and for those younger bigs to play as best as they can. We can poo poo anything about Wolf--but he was/is better than anyone we have.

Reaction Score
I agree that Phil Nolan will be a huge key for us. 6 pts and 5 rebounds a game is what Roscoe gave us his freshman year. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility

Reaction Score
Where did you get the idea that Nolan is much more skilled than Facey? I think Phil will start based on an extra year of experience, but Facey will prove to have more upside. You don't become the NY high school player of the year unless you have real skills.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I liked that even though he didn't get a bunch of minutes on the travel team he made two FT's in the last minute of two separate games.

Uconn is going to need someone to play the five spot in the last few minutes of the game. If Nolan shows he can make FT's when the game is on the line that could put him on top of the list.

Reaction Score
They will play combo of TO, Facey and Nolan @ 5 and prob 15 mins @ 4. Hopefully serviceable enuff, would be 5th option for scoring so need defense and rebounding first.

No worried about Wolf loss, he had 3 good games in 50 @ UConn and 0 on the defensive end. Rim protector? He's as bad a defender as anyone who has played here.

K

Kemballin'

I actually saw some potential in Nolan last year/when he was in highschool. He really just needs to bulk up, He's getting pushed around that's his biggest problem. He hs plenty of skill though that's for sure, kid can play as well as anyone on the team if he get's in shape for his size, just wait and see.

Reaction Score
As for Nolan, he just needs to rebound and play defense. We have plenty of guys who can put the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
we'll be fine. your right, wolf wasn't gasol. if he was he'd still be here

He is right he wasn't Gasol but you're wrong........if he was he would've been drafted and he wouldn't still be here.......he was the best we had last year and was getting better with PT. Hear's hoping Phil Nolan makes us forget we lost him!

Reaction Score
The key player is not PN. We will have plenty of people to rotate at the 5. If Bazz is Bazz the key player might be DD- if he plays like he did at the end of the season and everyone remains the same- we have a sot to go deep this year in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
They will play combo of TO, Facey and Nolan @ 5 and prob 15 mins @ 4. Hopefully serviceable enuff, would be 5th option for scoring so need defense and rebounding first.

No worried about Wolf loss, he had 3 good games in 50 @ UConn and 0 on the defensive end. Rim protector? He's as bad a defender as anyone who has played here.

You didn't watch too close if that's all you counted and let's not go by numbers. He wasn't great but if you have the choice of Wolf, TO and Phil last year and you throw out Wolf then I question your intellect!! He was the best overall big guy in every way last year...........Phil showed signs of stepping up in the last 5 or 6 and needs to build on that!

Reaction Score
People here will obviously disagree with me, but even if Wolf stayed, if I was coach, I would throw Nolan out there and start him. His upside is so much higher than Wolf's ever was. I don't care if Wolf was 7'1" and moderately aggressive. The dudes feet were glued to the floor and he had no lateral quickness. He get burned so bad whenever he was pulled out of the key I wanted to pull my damn hair out. I saw them all play enough to know what I personally prefer. I prefer putting a guy like Nolan out there who is a lot quicker. Has a lot more stamina. Can jump like 2 feet higher, and has a longer wingspan. Nolan has all the tools necessary to be the starting center, and would end up being the starting center even if Wolf stayed. If you disagree with me, then....I don't care :)

Reaction Score
Those oops Napier was throwing to Nolan in pick-up, he would never be able to throw those to the Wolf man. Wait till the season starts, those oops will be thrown regularly especially as teams key in on our guards. That alone will be 2-4 ppg. That alone will increase his confidence and permit him to do more out there. Just watch!! I am personally very excited for Nolan next year! He's a great kid with great upside!

Reaction Score
Does this not look like a man ready to be our starting center?
images

Reaction Score
People here will obviously disagree with me, but even if Wolf stayed, if I was coach, I would throw Nolan out there and start him. His upside is so much higher than Wolf's ever was. I don't care if Wolf was 7'1" and moderately aggressive. The dudes feet were glued to the floor and he had no lateral quickness. He get burned so bad whenever he was pulled out of the key I wanted to pull my damn hair out. I saw them all play enough to know what I personally prefer. I prefer putting a guy like Nolan out there who is a lot quicker. Has a lot more stamina. Can jump like 2 feet higher, and has a longer wingspan. Nolan has all the tools necessary to be the starting center, and would end up being the starting center even if Wolf stayed. If you disagree with me, then....I don't care :)

Sorry Mike on this one you're right I disagree. Wolf was easily a better hedger than both TO and Phil despite his feet being glued. Smarter, more aggressive - you make the call but overall a better defender and a better impact on that end as well as the other. I love what we saw from Phil don't get me wrong and I hope TO gets quicker and comes back to have a solid Sr year but they were better with Wolf whether it was 10 minutes, 15 or 20.......and that's a no doubter!

Add Phils inexperience which will lead him to foul trouble more often than not, TO's ability to get into foul trouble and Brimah's youth and inexperience and we may need to go small a lot without Wolf. That may be fine for the most part but you need to rebound to win!! Giffey will help but he can't guard 6'9"245 lbers................and I love Niels! If he is thrust into the C we're often we'll be in a bit if trouble!

We can win without Wolfie don't get me wrong, but things will need to fall into place and people will need to be smarter and tougher in the middle.

Reaction Score
Phil Nolan ? Skill ? all he needs to do is worry about defense and rebounding. I don't really get the revisionist history about Nolan. What's even funnier is referencing an alley oop he caught in a pick up game. Our bigs are underwhelming it is what it is. Bazz + Daniels are the key. Daniels lacked consistency and Napier lacked endurance last year

Reaction Score
The Center position is interesting, but it's not the key because we don't need points out of it. With Napier, Daniels, Boatright, Omar, Giffey and either Kromah or Samuels, the team has more than enough firepower without the Center position doing more than defending, rebounding nad making open layups.

If I'm looking at keys this early, Daniels being at the level he ended the season, and not the level at which he started it, and Boatright getting better in his decision making are where I start.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The Center position is interesting, but it's not the key because we don't need points out of it. With Napier, Daniels, Boatright, Omar, Giffey and either Kromah or Samuels, the team has more than enough firepower without the Center position doing more than defending, rebounding nad making open layups.

If I'm looking at keys this early, Daniels being at the level he ended the season, and not the level at which he started it, and Boatright getting better in his decision making are where I start.
Even with an improved Daniels he can't out-rebound against top level forwards/centers. It will only take one bad game from Shabazz/Boat and we will lose because we can't rebound. This is where the frontcourt needs to realize this and step up.

Reaction Score
Even with an improved Daniels he can't out-rebound against top level forwards/centers. It will only take one bad game from Shabazz/Boat and we will lose because we can't rebound. This is where the frontcourt needs to realize this and step up.

This will not be a good rebounding team. Not playing 2 small point guards, a 2 at the 3, and Daniels at the 4. Obviously you want to rebound as well as you can, but that will be a weakness this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom