Kevin Ollie makes Second Round Interview with Pistons > takes job w/ Brooklyn Nets | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie makes Second Round Interview with Pistons > takes job w/ Brooklyn Nets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not Ollie's biggest fan but I do think he's probably cut out better for being an NBA coach than the college game. In addition to the personal stuff he was going through, the college game asks a lot of coaches in terms of recruiting and program building. I think in the NBA, he may be able to focus more on the X's and O's. I still don't really knowif he'll be good enough at player development to be a good fit, especially in Detroit where almost every core piece is under 25.

Reaction Score
I'm not Ollie's biggest fan but I do think he's probably cut out better for being an NBA coach than the college game. In addition to the personal stuff he was going through, the college game asks a lot of coaches in terms of recruiting and program building. I think in the NBA, he may be able to focus more on the X's and O's. I still don't really knowif he'll be good enough at player development to be a good fit, especially in Detroit where almost every core piece is under 25.
Idk much about how NBA coaching staffs operate, but how much player development actually falls on the head coach's responsibilities? I would imagine these teams have an army of assistants and development coaches who do all that

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If he did get the Pistons job they’d have a pretty decent pool of talent to prove his chops. It wouldn’t be a complete tank job. Especially if they lucked up and got Vic.

Reaction Score
Good luck KO
ROOTING FOR YOU
Kevin would be a quality college or NBA Coach
obviously he is still well respected in the basketball community or he wouldn’t have gotten the ELITE job or consideration for this position
think it’s unfair for so many to kick a guy about being down during a tough Personal time in their lives
DIVORCE SUCKS, I am sure my business career and personal life decisions were negatively affected during mine

Kevin has always been the ultimate underdog who overcame great odds to achieve levels of success only he thought he could.
Dude is a fighter who will work against all odds to beat them and have great success again, NO DOUBT

SORRY couldn’t bite my tongue on this any longer
yeah I got his back and always will

Reaction Score
The Pistons GM Troy Weaver and Ollie know each other very well from his OKC playing days.

Reaction Score
I guess the list of coaches looking to do the basketball equivalent of charging up a steep hill into machine gun fire is pretty small given who the finalists are. On the plus side, whoever gets the job will get to say they were an NBA Head Coach for a season and a half.
I suspect the pay isn't terrible either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I suspect the pay isn't terrible either.

Unless there are other candidates that are not public, I suspect the pay is commiserate with the status of the candidates. In other words, while the pay will look good to mortals, the Pistons may have the lowest paid Head Coach in the NBA next season. Anyone who is anyone would demand a huge contract to jump off that cliff in Detroit, yet the Pistons are talking to Ollie and two assistants I had never heard of. Tells us all we need to know.

Reaction Score
My guy lookin like Franklin Saint last episode
I've been waiting to watch the final season, watched episode 1 last night and will watch a couple tonight. My favorite show.

Reaction Score
I for one have waited for the chance to root for KO, even after the mess but felt guilty supporting someone I trashed. I'm done with that. Ive always loved the "man" behind the "coach". Good Luck KO, here's hoping you land the job and kick ass while you're there.

Reaction Score
this is quite the elevation in expectations. I thought he might take an assistant job somewhere down the line, but his attractiveness without having proven himself with a long term development of a team is dumbfounding to me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I guess the list of coaches looking to do the basketball equivalent of charging up a steep hill into machine gun fire is pretty small given who the finalists are. On the plus side, whoever gets the job will get to say they were an NBA Head Coach for a season and a half.
I really do get where you’re coming from. But imagine getting to be the guy who potentially coaches Wemby? That experience might be worth the risk of ending your head coaching career.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really do get where you’re coming from. But imagine getting to be the guy who potentially coaches Wemby? That experience might be worth the risk of ending your head coaching career.

I would consider coaching a team of Boneyarders in the NBA if I could be an NBA Head Coach for a month. But that’s me. If I was actually in the mix for coaching jobs, I wouldn’t even consider that Pistons job unless I was given a mountain of money and 6 years guaranteed.

Reaction Score
I would consider coaching a team of Boneyarders in the NBA if I could be an NBA Head Coach for a month. But that’s me. If I was actually in the mix for coaching jobs, I wouldn’t even consider that Pistons job unless I was given a mountain of money and 6 years guaranteed.
Well, half the people on the Boneyard can dunk. So there’s that.

Reaction Score
Unless there are other candidates that are not public, I suspect the pay is commiserate with the status of the candidates. In other words, while the pay will look good to mortals, the Pistons may have the lowest paid Head Coach in the NBA next season. Anyone who is anyone would demand a huge contract to jump off that cliff in Detroit, yet the Pistons are talking to Ollie and two assistants I had never heard of. Tells us all we need to know.
Long time Pistons fan AND UCONN alum (1980), I'm not sure you know what you're talking about re: the Pistons or the salary. Listening to NBA analysts, there are a lot of people who feel this is actually a good job to get with or without Wembayama. Good young pieces with Cade, Ivey and Duren just needing a new voice. Whether that's Ollie or not, we'll see. And salary is negotiable

Reaction Score
The fact that Weaver knows Ollie and thinks enough of him to bring him back for second round talks is pretty cool. That said, while he was a well respected vet, he's got no experience as a NBA coach or assistant and the Pistons desperately need someone who has been through the battle like Jarron Collins with the Warriors or Lee with the Bucks and can command respect in the locker room and motivate a bunch of young millionaires who only know losing in their early career. I don't see Ollie as the right guy at this time...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good luck KO, wish you well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads