Kevin Freeman hired at Penn State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Freeman hired at Penn State

Reaction Score
This board is so strange, he wasn't getting promoted here and wasn't coaching. Penn State wanted him as a coach, so he left for the better opportunity. It really doesn't get more cut and dry. Wish him well.
Didn’t Hurley bring another guy From RI in a simalar type job?
It seemed he was retained as a curtesy. That a pretty good signal to move on. Let’s see if he is replaced.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And you could argue that a B1G Assistant gig, even at a crappy school > UConn Assistant...
...though probably best not to make that argument with Kimani Young or Kenya Hunter if you should meet up sometime soon.

Reaction Score
you contradict yourself. you really make no sense here.
What didn't make sense? I think you're reading the word "now" to mean at UConn. I meant "now" to mean his job at Penn State.

Try this: He was the Director of Basketball Administration at UConn. That is an administrative role. It is not an assistant coaching position. He could not go out recruiting since he was not an assistant coach. In the role of DOBA I don't think he was even allowed to work with the players on the court.

He was making $150,000 at UConn. The lowest paid assistant at UConn makes $250,000. So I imagine he not only got a higher level job but also more money. Good for KFree.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Love KFree and was happy he was retained. Awesome that he gets a shot to move up in the world.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Professional validation often comes after you leave the protective bubble. This is good move for KF, a questionable one for UConn but he will always have a home here and amongst the UConn network. Add in a raise and more responsibility it was a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
It’s an upgraded position. I wish him well.
Upgraded position? When was the last time Penn St even sniffed the second weekend of the Big Dance? Never mind Final Fours and National Championships.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Upgraded position? When was the last time Penn St even sniffed the second weekend of the Big Dance? Never mind Final Fours and National Championships.

Because, you know, he gets to do some coaching and recruiting? Neither of which he could do here. Plus more money. And more responsibility. In the B1G no less.

Or he could just push papers around at UCONN.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Because, you know, he gets to do some coaching and recruiting? Neither of which he could do here. Plus more money. And more responsibility. In the B1G no less.

He very clearly has no idea what KFree did on our staff or what he’ll be doing on PSU’s.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

The POSITION he has is a major upgrade -- to an actual coaching position rather than an administrative one. Now he can actually work with the athletes. He can recruit. It will allow him a more direct path to better jobs at better schools, and if fortune is on his side, perhaps into an HC position, eventually.

Reaction Score

Personally I don't know why he was ever hired at UConn in the first place unless it was to teach these guys how to own the paint which he obviously wasn't and they obviously never learned how to. To me it just looked like Ollie getting one of his homies a job, any job and if that is what it was then fine but how did the team improve because of Freeman's presence? But you know what, congrats that Freeman got himself another job in basketball. He likes the game and if he can collect a paycheck hanging around the game then more power to him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Good for him, like others have said, it wouldn't be surprising if his path led back here some day, same with RJ Evans.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Personally I don't know why he was ever hired at UConn in the first place unless it was to teach these guys how to own the paint which he obviously wasn't and they obviously never learned how to. To me it just looked like Ollie getting one of his homies a job, any job and if that is what it was then fine but how did the team improve because of Freeman's presence? But you know what, congrats that Freeman got himself another job in basketball. He likes the game and if he can collect a paycheck hanging around the game then more power to him.

He was an administrator. His job was to handle logistics, coordinate travel, supervise team managers, and other things of that nature.

Most programs have them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He was an administrator. His job was to handle logistics, coordinate travel, supervise team managers, and other things of that nature.

Most programs have them.

Not to mention it's the most common entry level college gig for a former player who's looking to get into coaching.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

Why are you even on this board? Let's repeat this: he was not allowed to work with the players. You can take that bitter pill elsewhere. You can go away now.

Reaction Score
His resume is certainly not shabby. Penn State is getting a Coach who knows what it takes to win Championships (both as a player and staff).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom