Kevin Duffy: Manuel facing decision of a lifetime on Calhoun's successor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Duffy: Manuel facing decision of a lifetime on Calhoun's successor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duffy's article on replacing legends is also interesting: See here
Duffy has a pretty broad definition of legend, no? I mean if you include Barry Alverez and Gary Williams as legendary coaches don't you also have to include Bobby Ross? And he is being pretty generous with Jimbo Fisher who hasn't even won an ACC title but he's claiming it was a great call because he is a dark horse candidate for the national championship (among graduates of FSU I think)...actually I suspect ace is right. I think he is in Calhoun's pocket...

Reaction Score
I feel like the only middle ground in everything is this scenario: JC retires right before this season, Manuel appoints Ollie as the interim to essentially give him a "trial" at the same time announcing a national search will be done at the conclusion of the season - a search Ollie will be a candidate for. It's a win win for everyone I think.

Reaction Score
Duffy has a pretty broad definition of legend, no? I mean if you include Barry Alverez and Gary Williams as legendary coaches don't you also have to include Bobby Ross? And he is being pretty generous with Jimbo Fisher who hasn't even won an ACC title but he's claiming it was a great call because he is a dark horse candidate for the national championship (among graduates of FSU I think)...actually I suspect ace is right. I think he is in Calhoun's pocket...

facepalm.jpg

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
the best thing you can do when you leave a program is go away. A few people have done that successfully.Bear Bryant is one example. Said he wanted no input on selection of his replacement but was confident they'd pick someone he would be happy with. Many haven't. they just can't bring themselves to leave. You know what, if Calhoun just makes the occassional speech to alumni, does a bit of fundraising, that's fine. But if he decides he wants or needs to "advise" his replacement, that isn't. In effect, if he's a "ceremonial" figure, that's fine. If he's involved in the actual program, it won't be. Manual needs to set clear, bright lines on that, and so does Ollie. I can see the former doing it. Can't see Ollie doing it though.
While I agree with you that UConn shouldn't automatically give the job to Ollie (although I'm starting to change my opinion on that based on recruits comments), I have to totally disagree with you on this. I hope that UConn can find a way to fit JC into the program. Obviously not to have any coaching input whatsoever with maybe the exception of giving an opinion on potential recruits - in a meeting room after watching film, not traveling to events. But if you can use him to help be a fund raiser and continue to have a strong relationship with former players and having them come to campus during the summer, he's a huge benefit to the program without being in the way or reducing in any way the position of the next coach. He's been the face of Mens BB for over 25 years - having him available for non coaching things can only continue to benefit the program.

Reaction Score
Just make Ollie the coach. We have nothing to lose.

Reaction Score
While I agree with you that UConn shouldn't automatically give the job to Ollie (although I'm starting to change my opinion on that based on recruits comments), I have to totally disagree with you on this. I hope that UConn can find a way to fit JC into the program. Obviously not to have any coaching input whatsoever with maybe the exception of giving an opinion on potential recruits - in a meeting room after watching film, not traveling to events. But if you can use him to help be a fund raiser and continue to have a strong relationship with former players and having them come to campus during the summer, he's a huge benefit to the program without being in the way or reducing in any way the position of the next coach. He's been the face of Mens BB for over 25 years - having him available for non coaching things can only continue to benefit the program.

If and when he retires he's not going far....it's in his blood. The only way he distances himself from program unfortunately is if they do not hire KO....not saying they should and he should not be able to hold the school and committee/AD/Pres. hostage but like or not that's how it will play. He will be real close, maybe even keep an office, kinda Dee Rowe-ish I'm guessing. He will not get in the replacements shadow but be there for support and impact when needed....he will still be a huge sell to recruits!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If and when he retires he's not going far....it's in his blood.

Not as deep as you think. If it was, he would be out talking about UConn more. JC's interviews are about JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom