Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL

Reaction Score
Mark Pope is a very good coach. This is a horrible hire for Kentucky. Regardless of how you define success, it will never be considered enough by the fan base. It’s like writing a love story, expecting George Clooney to be the lead and getting Paul giamatti instead.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile on the UK board

Attachments

• 9D61F998-A1A5-4AB9-936B-626B7DC0CEF6.jpeg
    9D61F998-A1A5-4AB9-936B-626B7DC0CEF6.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 656
Reaction Score

My guess is they didn't want to wait another week or two just to have Donovan tell them to kick rocks. Need to hit the portal like crazy right away and retain and or bring over what you can. It seems crazy they didn't go after at least Pearl and Beard but supposedly Barnhart has some standards. Pearl would win big there right away and it's a fanbase that doesn't have patience.

At least work the backchannels to see if Sean Miller, Shaka, McDermott, Holloway have any interest. There's a bunch of guys across the country who are far more accomplished than Pope, I'm just thinking of guys in our conference who jump out to me.

Reaction Score
My guess is they didn't want to wait another week or two just to have Donovan tell them to kick rocks. Need to hit the portal like crazy right away and retain and or bring over what you can. It seems crazy they didn't go after at least Pearl and Beard but supposedly Barnhart has some standards. Pearl would win big there right away and it's a fanbase that doesn't have patience.

At least work the backchannels to see if Sean Miller, Shaka, McDermott, Holloway have any interest. There's a bunch of guys across the country who are far more accomplished than Pope, I'm just thinking of guys in our conference who jump out to me.
It’s called back channels. It couldn’t become public until next week but I am certain they knew whether Billy Donovan was interested. He wasn’t.

Reaction Score
Its hysterical how some (although not all) are also trying to rationalize that they don't want Hurley anymore because he is obviously an idiot for turning down UK and the bag. Some quotes from RR board:

"Frankly, if we walk away without Hurley after a $100 million offer that he REJECTED...I'd just call it a win and a dodged bullet. He's a freakin idiot to reject that. End of story!"

"Just reading that it is incredibly hard to absorb. $100 million (if accurate) is a absurd amount of money. Literally obscene.
I wasn't terribly interested in Hurley as I thought he would be a terrible fit for UK. But, for him to turn down that kind of money is a red flag IMO."

"He's a (rhymes with cluck)"

"If Hurley really rejected that kind of money cuz he wants to stay in Connecticut where they care more about the womens team then that’s his call but he clearly wasn’t the man for the job"

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He’s not gonna be able to hold those players and recruit's. SMH

Reaction Score
Check out this UK jenius….maybe they wanted Bobby not Danny?

Pope has a better win percentage at BYU than Hurley did at Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Its hysterical how some (although not all) are also trying to rationalize that they don't want Hurley anymore because he is obviously an idiot for turning down UK and the bag. Some quotes from RR board:

"Frankly, if we walk away without Hurley after a $100 million offer that he REJECTED...I'd just call it a win and a dodged bullet. He's a freakin idiot to reject that. End of story!"

"Just reading that it is incredibly hard to absorb. $100 million (if accurate) is a absurd amount of money. Literally obscene.
I wasn't terribly interested in Hurley as I thought he would be a terrible fit for UK. But, for him to turn down that kind of money is a red flag IMO."

"If Hurley really rejected that kind of money cuz he wants to stay in Connecticut where they care more about the womens team then that’s his call but he clearly wasn’t the man for the job"
There are a lot of people that think more money = better person. That's why they're shocked.

Reaction Score
While they were running Calipari out of town Calipari was maneuvering behind the scenes with his rich buddies to land safely on his feet with a competitor, meanwhile Kentucky had no plan other than their fantasyland candidates. Don't push the 7 out the door if you don't have the 9 or 10 lined up or you'll probably end up with a 3 or 4. This reeks of Barnhart getting sick of being publicly rejected so he just hired the sure thing even if the sure thing may have horrible breath and serious BO.

Their rabid fans hate Barnhart but they're the ones who pushed Calipari out the door and pretended they could hire the best coach out there.

Reaction Score

For anyone who is a little murky on what "sour grapes" means, THIS is a perfect example of sour grapes.

Reaction Score
Ironically, he was sitting in the UConn section during the semis against Alabama.

Reaction Score
Good coach entering a very hard situation with unrealistic expectations.
I’d say he’s due for a culture shock going from BYU, but he’s been there already. He knows what’s coming.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom