Kenny Smith on TBS postgame UCONN love | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kenny Smith on TBS postgame UCONN love

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He did, though. Mason was great in the NCAA tournament and he was the only one who kept that from being a laugher last night. I haven't watched enough of Mason to know whether he was as special as Shabazz but I wouldn't rule it out based on the fact that his team lost.

FWIW, Shabazz was 13 for 42 against Louisville that season. He wasn't nearly as proficient at getting his own shot as people remember. DeAndre Daniels made his job a lot easier.
Spiva = nemesis (all opponent team)

Reaction Score
During post game yesterday, they were talking about leaving guys in with 2 or 3 fouls....Bilas brought up the 2004 semi's where JC sat Emeka for most of the first half with his2 fouls and he went off in the 2nd half to carry UCONN to the finals while three of Dook's big men fouled out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
During post game yesterday, they were talking about leaving guys in with 2 or 3 fouls....Bilas brought up the 2004 semi's where JC sat Emeka for most of the first half with his2 fouls and he went off in the 2nd half to carry UCONN to the finals while three of Dook's big men fouled out.

That was the greatest example of that tactic ever. I hate the tactic myself, but prefer my coach employ it. 3 fouls for a star player in the first half is a death knell. Especially a college post player.

pj

Reaction Score
That was the greatest example of that tactic ever. I hate the tactic myself, but prefer my coach employ it. 3 fouls for a star player in the first half is a death knell. Especially a college post player.

It's a psychological ploy. The refs favor the losing team, and try to do make up calls if they feel previous foul calls have impacted the game. Sit your best player with foul trouble in the first half, you fall behind, the refs feel they hurt your chances with their foul calls, they start calling more fouls on the other team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank you. Pretty sure he wasn't referring to Mason ... But at the same time, if Mason did his best but still lost bc they didn't score enough, then he ISN'T the same player as Kemba or Shabazz.

This situation, they NEVER lost. Mason's team just did.

Everyone needs to flash their knowledge by arguing some nuanced points that don't even address the overall points. And by everyone I mean this message board.

It's not on Mason. KU didn't play D very well in the first half, and Oregon was unconscious. One player can't win you a game, no matter who it is. Kemba won a title because UConn's team defense in the final four was astonishing. Are people remembering that tournament right? UConn held Kentucky to 55. They shot 34%. UConn held Butler to 41 points on 19% shooting.

I think Masons's 20+ would carry a team with that defense just fine. By the way, the team most like that one playing now is South Carolina. Also a 7 seed.

Reaction Score
I mean not to be that guy but his comments aren't really accurate. Frank Mason averaged 21 and 5 on 49% from the floor and 48% from three. He was probably the best guard in America. I'm pretty sure he can get his own shot.

Incidentally, he struggled tonight against the match-up zone, the same defense Shabazz struggled against. Oregon made him finish at the rim against their shot blocker and he couldn't do it. Bazz had those same problems. Honestly Mason is pretty much the same player Bazz was.

Yes. But for two national championships, they were the same player.

(What was the line from A Few Good Men -- "You mean other than the body?"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's not on Mason. KU didn't play D very well in the first half, and Oregon was unconscious. One player can't win you a game, no matter who it is. Kemba won a title because UConn's team defense in the final four was astonishing. Are people remembering that tournament right? UConn held Kentucky to 55. They shot 34%. UConn held Butler to 41 points on 19% shooting.

Let's not downplay Lamb was dangerous and could score the basketball either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's not downplay Lamb was dangerous and could score the basketball either.

Of course. But Devonte Graham and certainly Josh Jackson are even better, just had bad games. The difference with defense is it lets you win those bad offensive games.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Dicky V just brought up Shabazz. Comparing thornwell(spelling) to him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member