Kenny Smith on TBS postgame UCONN love | The Boneyard

Kenny Smith on TBS postgame UCONN love

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Did anyone else watch this and hear Kenny Smith talk about Kansas not being able to come back on Oregon because they didn't have a guy who could create his own shot?

"Again, I just thought that the size on the perimeter, the ability to make a shot or get a good shot when the shot clock is running down...that's what NCAA basketball has been about. And we been talking about it from the day one when I walked in here and we saw Kemba Walker, we saw Shabazz Napier. Guys who could create their shots in that moment. And make them".

This wasn't some pre-meditated comment, he mentioned two Husky greats because those were the two examples that came to his mind first.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Honestly. Nothing makes me prouder than seeing other fans bringing up Kemba or Shabazz as role models for their teams' respective leaders each March. Teams that aren't talent loaded 1 seeds look up to our guys like gods.

Seeing Roy Williams two years ago in the ACCT saying he "wants to be like Connecticut. 5 games in 5 days..." made me so proud. People took notice when Kemba did it, but when Shabazz did it shortly after too it made it clear something special is happening at UConn. We had the first guy to do something incredible on his own over the most chaotic 6 game tourney known to man. Then when Bazz did it 3 years later, it showed there IS a formula to this madness, and if you want to win you will need to emulate UConn toughness. I'd love to see the video of the clip in question if anyone has it recorded.

Reaction Score
He's always spoken highly of UConn. Believe he coached Taliek in AAU. Said he would be an NBA great all century team on tbs back in 2001ish
Wow, Taliek was slightly before my time, was he really THAT good in high school?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Love Kenny Smith. Good dude and always has respect for UConn.
Was a pretty darn good player too.
He was the only one on the set that picked UConn to beat MSU prior to the elite 8 game in 2014 too. I didn't even think we really had much of a shot that game.

Reaction Score
I mean not to be that guy but his comments aren't really accurate. Frank Mason averaged 21 and 5 on 49% from the floor and 48% from three. He was probably the best guard in America. I'm pretty sure he can get his own shot.

Incidentally, he struggled tonight against the match-up zone, the same defense Shabazz struggled against. Oregon made him finish at the rim against their shot blocker and he couldn't do it. Bazz had those same problems. Honestly Mason is pretty much the same player Bazz was.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I mean not to be that guy but his comments aren't really accurate. Frank Mason averaged 21 and 5 on 49% from the floor and 48% from three. He was probably the best guard in America. I'm pretty sure he can get his own shot.

Incidentally, he struggled tonight against the match-up zone, the same defense Shabazz struggled against. Oregon made him finish at the rim against their shot blocker and he couldn't do it. Bazz had those same problems. Honestly Mason is pretty much the same player Bazz was.
Avering 21-5 doesn't necessarily mean you can get, and make your own shots in single elimination games when it matters most.

C

Chief00

You love your match up zones. I think Miller lost a defender at UConn when he went so heavily that way and against UConn's historic man culture.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Honestly. Nothing makes me prouder than seeing other fans bringing up Kemba or Shabazz as role models for their teams' respective leaders each March. Teams that aren't talent loaded 1 seeds look up to our guys like gods.

Seeing Roy Williams two years ago in the ACCT saying he "wants to be like Connecticut. 5 games in 5 days..." made me so proud. People took notice when Kemba did it, but when Shabazz did it shortly after too it made it clear something special is happening at UConn. We had the first guy to do something incredible on his own over the most chaotic 6 game tourney known to man. Then when Bazz did it 3 years later, it showed there IS a formula to this madness, and if you want to win you will need to emulate UConn toughness. I'd love to see the video of the clip in question if anyone has it recorded.
Thank you and the operative word in your post is TOUGHNESS!

Reaction Score

The difference between Kansas and Mason and UCONN 2014, was UCONN had 2 or 3 players who could create their own shot while Kansas only really had Mason, so it was much easier for the Oregon D to focus on that one player. Also as good as Mason is he was not Shabazz. Shabazz had that quality of making his teammates play that much better, and I don't think Mason, as good as he is, had that quality.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The difference between Kansas and Mason and UCONN 2014, was UCONN had 2 or 3 players who could create their own shot while Kansas only really had Mason, so it was much easier for the Oregon D to focus on that one player. Also as good as Mason is he was not Shabazz. Shabazz had that quality of making his teammates play that much better, and I don't think Mason, as good as he is, had that quality.

Thank you. Pretty sure he wasn't referring to Mason ... But at the same time, if Mason did his best but still lost bc they didn't score enough, then he ISN'T the same player as Kemba or Shabazz.

This situation, they NEVER lost. Mason's team just did.

Everyone needs to flash their knowledge by arguing some nuanced points that don't even address the overall points. And by everyone I mean this message board.

Reaction Score
Avering 21-5 doesn't necessarily mean you can get, and make your own shots in single elimination games when it matters most.

He did, though. Mason was great in the NCAA tournament and he was the only one who kept that from being a laugher last night. I haven't watched enough of Mason to know whether he was as special as Shabazz but I wouldn't rule it out based on the fact that his team lost.

FWIW, Shabazz was 13 for 42 against Louisville that season. He wasn't nearly as proficient at getting his own shot as people remember. DeAndre Daniels made his job a lot easier.

Reaction Score
I caught it. Mentioned it last night in another thread. As long as Uconn keeps getting shout outs, they will remain relevant (until they pick it up again, which will be soon). A Junior high school bball player being highly recruited is watching and will hear those shout outs. Every player wants to be mentioned at random times 6 years after the fact or 20+ (like Ray). You can at Uconn.

Reaction Score
The best part is that he doesn't even need to say UConn! They're Legends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom