Kelvin Sampson on AAC and UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelvin Sampson on AAC and UConn

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what Memphis does. They are going to be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Why not? I think it’d be nice to see another team in the conference make it out of the first weekend of the tournament for a change.
Yes. It's important for other conference teams to improve, to gain over all respect for the league which we are stuck in. If the conference is weak it does not help our cause.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll say this, I think he is right that UConn and Memphis will be way better than people think. UConn picked 6th and Memphis 8th? That isn't happening. I expect both to be in the top four. So many of the teams listed above them lost a lot of players. Memphis and UConn are arguably the only two teams in the league with better rosters than they had last year. Maybe UCF when you consider injuries. Temple has the same guys coming back and nobody new of any note. Houston, SMU and Cincinnati are all worse than they were last year.

Reaction Score
Jalen knows what's on the line for his last season. Kid's gonna come out and average 20/5/5
Jalen won't be asked to do as much next season and that will be good for his game. Players getting better especially in the front court will make UConn harder to defend. Last season all teams had to defend were Jalen and Larrier.

Reaction Score
Jalen won't be asked to do as much next season and that will be good for his game. Players getting better especially in the front court will make UConn harder to defend. Last season all teams had to defend were Jalen and Larrier.

Jalen brings his 3P% into the mid-high 30s, kid's going to be completely and utterly unguardable.

With Hurley as the coach and this being his last season I think it's a reasonable expectation.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Jalen brings his 3P% into the mid-high 30s, kid's going to be completely and utterly unguardable.

With Hurley as the coach and this being his last season I think it's a reasonable expectation.
Hurley is big on proper shooting technique. He'll get JA's shooting straightened out.

Reaction Score
Yes. It's important for other conference teams to improve, to gain over all respect for the league which we are stuck in. If the conference is weak it does not help our cause.

Really, the conference has done their part.

The onus is now on UConn and Memphis to pull weight, and it will be competing for a lot of bids. Had SMU and UCF had their stars all year, it's already looking at 4-5 bids without any help from UConn and Memphis.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think Adams' shooting technique is all that bad.

It's all about shot selection.

Same for Vital.

And everyone on the team...
Absolutely agree. If you get a player the ball so that he can shoot in rhythm, he starts looking like a much better shooter. Too often UConn settled for circus shots as the clock was winding down. Good ball movement and intelligent sets will benefit Adams and Vital quite a bit this year.

UconnU

Reaction Score

Same for Vital.

AG has a near perfect looking stroke. The first thing Hurley commented on after their practice 2 weeks ago was that the rest of the team should watch AG shooting technique. JA and CV can both use a little adjustments IMO.

Reaction Score
Vital needs more significant form adjustments. Adams needs open looks and repetitions.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Vital needs more significant form adjustments. Adams needs open looks and repetitions.
I have a problem with his footwork on shots. legs are too close together, toes not pointed towards rim.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I will not be surprised if Jalen shoots 39-40% from 3 this year. He'll get better looks, with less usage.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Same for Vital.

Yes for Vital, but Jalen's shot selection boiled down to not much of a choice for the most part.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
AG has a near perfect looking stroke. The first thing Hurley commented on after their practice 2 weeks ago was that the rest of the team should watch AG shooting technique. JA and CV can both use a little adjustments IMO.

The only problem for AG is that he hasn't been able to shoot so much during the offseason the past 3 years. I don't expect him to be raining threes this year. Hopefully in the future.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

Same for Vital.

Jalen does have some problems with he shot. He shoots it lazily, as he leans back when he chest should be straight. Sometimes his arms are also straight towards the hoop upon release, causing lots of line drives and short misses.

Reaction Score
I have a problem with his footwork on shots. legs are too close together, toes not pointed towards rim.

Jalen does have some problems with he shot. He shoots it lazily, as he leans back when he chest should be straight. Sometimes his arms are also straight towards the hoop upon release, causing lots of line drives and short misses.

I don’t really think they are mechanical issues though. Just lots of fading and stuff that he needs to eliminate. Somebody just needs to keep telling him to go straight up, square up etc. However, his actual shooting form (his arms) is good and that’s the hard part to change. Vitale needs to fundamentally change his stroke in order to be consistent.

Reaction Score

Same for Vital.

I think JA suffered from too much playing time/conditioning as well. He was asked to do too much and had no coach, he was going to shoot a lower percentage no matter how good his technique.

Reaction Score
Really, the conference has done their part.

The onus is now on UConn and Memphis to pull weight, and it will be competing for a lot of bids. Had SMU and UCF had their stars all year, it's already looking at 4-5 bids without any help from UConn and Memphis.
Your right. Someone had insinuated that they hope Memphis doesn't get good, that's what promoted me. But you're right, those others have done well. I think if Hurley can get the players, we will own the league.

Reaction Score
Houston, SMU, and Wichita filled me with dread during the KO era. Sampson/Brown/Marshall outprepped and outcoached KO.
Those days are over. I really think we will soon dominate this league. Those teams have been good. We used to be GREAT. At Uconn, we don't accept being ranked in the second ten and a couple of tournament wins as a big success. We expect to be top 5 and title contenders. I just have a gut feeling that Hurley can get the job done. Maybe it's wishfull thinking. It's hard to be really objective about this. But a couple of bad seasons back to back is not the end of Uconn as a great program. It will quickly be forgotten if Hurley does what most of us thinks he can do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom