Kelseyville Plum 145 free throws in a row | The Boneyard

Kelseyville Plum 145 free throws in a row

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that's nothing.............75 year old Shooting Coach Herb Magee shoots 100's in a row every day and he does it while he lectures his students..............

Reaction Score
that's nothing...75 year old Shooting Coach Herb Magee shoots 100's in a row every day and he does it while he lectures his students....
A long way to go to beat Ted St. Martin who has hit 5,221 in a row plus 33 in 3o seconds and a bevy of other FT records.

Reaction Score
A long way to go to beat Ted St. Martin who has hit 5,221 in a row plus 33 in 3o seconds and a bevy of other FT records.

ahhhhhhh but I believe HM is the winningest coach in DII basketball history

Herb Magee (born June 20, 1941), commonly referred to as the Shot Doctor, is a Division II men's college basketball coach at his alma mater, Philadelphia University, known as Philadelphia College of Textiles & Science until 1999. He is entering his 48th year as head coach, and his 56th year as either a player or coach at the school. In 2015, he achieved his 1,000th win as a head coach, becoming one of only four college coaches to achieve that milestone. On August 12, 2011, Magee became a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2011.

Reaction Score
that's nothing...75 year old Shooting Coach Herb Magee shoots 100's in a row every day and he does it while he lectures his students....

Yep and I seem to have seen some video on him in the last few years or so. Have you got it??

Reaction Score
ahhhhhhh but I believe HM is the winningest coach in DII basketball history

Herb Magee (born June 20, 1941), commonly referred to as the Shot Doctor, is a Division II men's college basketball coach at his alma mater, Philadelphia University, known as Philadelphia College of Textiles & Science until 1999. He is entering his 48th year as head coach, and his 56th year as either a player or coach at the school. In 2015, he achieved his 1,000th win as a head coach, becoming one of only four college coaches to achieve that milestone. On August 12, 2011, Magee became a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2011.

Just fantastic ---simply amazing--- No baby-boomer he---he was pre WW II --the steel then was purer and without any hint of Nuclear ions embed ed--obviously he is made of sturdy stuff. Steady hand and eagle eyed is he..
Thank you loads of fishes for this terrific find.

Reaction Score
At age 75??? Truly amazing. ---regardless of age that's pretty darn good---don't let Geno see this--he'll ex

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
FT's in a practice are a lot different than in a game situation.
Congrats to Plum, one of my favorite So Cal players when in HS.
But I will take Lou!!

Reaction Score
At the U. of Chicago (not known for especially athletic undergraduates), they divided a group of volunteers into 3 groups. 1 group they asked to practice shooting fouls for 30 days; another group they told just don't do anything; the third group they told not to practice shooting but instead just visualize making foul shots. After 30 days, all 3 groups had a foul shooting competition. The group that didn't practice didn't improve at all, but the group that visualized success improved virtually as much as the team that actually practiced. Food for thought.....

Mental Rehearsal & Psychology Aspects of Basketball - Visualization

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We've shared video of Laurie Koehn shooting 3-pointers. I believe she shot 99% on about 500 shots.

Reaction Score
At the U. of Chicago (not known for especially athletic undergraduates), they divided a group of volunteers into 3 groups. 1 group they asked to practice shooting fouls for 30 days; another group they told just don't do anything; the third group they told not to practice shooting but instead just visualize making foul shots. After 30 days, all 3 groups had a foul shooting competition. The group that didn't practice didn't improve at all, but the group that visualized success improved virtually as much as the team that actually practiced. Food for thought.....

Mental Rehearsal & Psychology Aspects of Basketball - Visualization

That was Professor Harrold Hill's method of playing band instruments --visualization. He produced a whole Marching Band!!

Reaction Score
FT's in a practice are a lot different than in a game situation.
Congrats to Plum, one of my favorite So Cal players when in HS.
But I will take Lou!!

I too will not only take Katie Lou--I'll lover her game. Plum's FT's are impressive. The thing is--if you make that many FT's on a regular basis--the body has muscle memory . So when the game is on the line and the nerves kick in the muscle memory will make some shots.
Without all those shots--the same kid may make none in a tight game.

Reaction Score
I too will not only take Katie Lou--I'll lover her game. Plum's FT's are impressive. The thing is--if you make that many FT's on a regular basis--the body has muscle memory . So when the game is on the line and the nerves kick in the muscle memory will make some shots.
Best thing about this board is that we recognise talent, talent we get to watch. Well, mostly ours, but there are some incredibly talented wbball players on opposing teams.

Reaction Score
Best thing about this board is that we recognise talent, talent we get to watch. Well, mostly ours, but there are some incredibly talented wbball players on opposing teams.

Agreed. When the Games are on --it's Uconn's kids. But Talented kids of ANY team are recognized here. However we don't always have the same love affair with them those from their own teams do. We are after all a UConn WBB site.

Reaction Score
From an old NY Times article on Magee:

Magee is also a shot doctor, lecturing on the art at clinics from the Poconos to Puerto Rico. Cornell Coach Steve Donahue, once an assistant under Magee, said he saw Magee hit 274 consecutive jump shots.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I remember Bill Bradley saying pretty much the same thing. He would practice free throws after formal practice for exactly that reason: he wanted the process to be as close to rote as possible when he was in a game. And while 84% is not eye-popping, over the course of an NBA career, it's pretty darn good.

And Mr. Underhanded - Rick Barry -- who finished right around 90% gave a wink when asked if it was the practice or the motion that ensured his success at the stripe. Me thinks both! ;)

Reaction Score
I remember Bill Bradley saying pretty much the same thing. He would practice free throws after formal practice for exactly that reason: he wanted the process to be as close to rote as possible when he was in a game. And while 84% is not eye-popping, over the course of an NBA career, it's pretty darn good.

And Mr. Underhanded - Rick Barry -- who finished right around 90% gave a wink when asked if it was the practice or the motion that ensured his success at the stripe. Me thinks both! ;)

I liked Rick Barry and Bill Bradley for different reasons. Bill because he was a scholar--Rick because he was a great BB player.
I dare say 90 percent of ALL BB players would, with glee, accept 84 or 90 percent FT's.

Underhanded? Basketball shooting , not devious.

Reaction Score

Thanks for this--

I liked Rick Barry and Bill Bradley for different reasons. Bill because he was a scholar--Rick because he was a great BB player.
I dare say 90 percent of ALL BB players would, with glee, accept 84 or 90 percent FT's.

Underhanded? Basketball shooting , not devious.

Reaction Score
That was Professor Harrold Hill's method of playing band instruments --visualization. He produced a whole Marching Band!!
And I guess you could say that, even though it didn't work with the band, it worked for him in that he got the girl (the gifted Shirley Jones in the movie; the great Barbara Cook in the original musical).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here's the Laurie Koehn video. She shot 132-135 from the arc.

Reaction Score
And I guess you could say that, even though it didn't work with the band, it worked for him in that he got the girl (the gifted Shirley Jones in the movie; the great Barbara Cook in the original musical).
You missed the last scenes (in the movie) where they marched out in full uniform playing perfectly and marching in unison.
Visualization did the job. I saw it in a MOVIE and read it on the INTERNET --so it must be true.
I only brought this up --because comments bring up visualizations in my brain --some unrelated to the topic--but related to a word. In this case visualization. But I get the process--if you watch 80 percent of Men/Women College or Pro's as they step up to the foul line they take a shot into the air ---VISUALIZATION and testing muscle memory. I'm believer in that if it works --use it. I don't believe in---you can't do it because it's never been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom