Kelsey vs Kelsey | The Boneyard

Kelsey vs Kelsey

Reaction Score
It's now a virtual certainty that Jackie Stiles' career scoring record will fall. If something happens to Kelsey Plum, the other Kelsey is waiting in the wings.

Assuming Plum gets there first (a sure thing barring injury), can Kelsey Mitchell pass her next year? It should be fun to watch. My guess is that the Kelsey from UW is going to set the bar a little higher than her counterpart from OSU can reach, but it should be close.

Plum has 9 regular season games left, plus 2/3 PAC 12 tourney plus 3/5 NCAA tourney games. If we somewhat conservatively assume 15 games left and assume 30 points per game (less conservative but she's averaging over 30 per game during a very tough PAC 12 schedule), that gives her 3,094 + 450 = 3,544.

Ohio State has 7 regular season games + 2/3 Big 10 T + 2/3 NCAA T =11/13 games left. Add another 34/36 for next year gets you to 45/49. Assuming her career average of 25 per game that gets her to 2,287 + 1,125-1,225 = 3,412 to 3,512. But if she's chasing the record next year, she might get a couple extra minutes per game, some extra shots (is that possible?), maybe even an extra game in the schedule. So, 3544, if that happened, wouldn't be completely out of reach by any means.

Should be interesting. Plum, IMO, has the edge but it could well be up for grabs until the end.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's now a virtual certainty that Jackie Stiles' career scoring record will fall. If something happens to Kelsey Plum, the other Kelsey is waiting in the wings.

Assuming Plum gets there first (a sure thing barring injury), can Kelsey Mitchell pass her next year? It should be fun to watch. My guess is that the Kelsey from UW is going to set the bar a little higher than her counterpart from OSU can reach, but it should be close.

Plum has 9 regular season games left, plus 2/3 PAC 12 tourney plus 3/5 NCAA tourney games. If we somewhat conservatively assume 15 games left and assume 30 points per game (less conservative but she's averaging over 30 per game during a very tough PAC 12 schedule), that gives her 3,094 + 450 = 3,544.

Ohio State has 7 regular season games + 2/3 Big 10 T + 2/3 NCAA T =11/13 games left. Add another 34/36 for next year gets you to 45/49. Assuming her career average of 25 per game that gets her to 2,287 + 1,125-1,225 = 3,412 to 3,512. But if she's chasing the record next year, she might get a couple extra minutes per game, some extra shots (is that possible?), maybe even an extra game in the schedule. So, 3544, if that happened, wouldn't be completely out of reach by any means.

Should be interesting. Plum, IMO, has the edge but it could well be up for grabs until the end.
Kelsey Mitchell of tOSU is WNBA draft eligible this spring. Would not count on her returning for her senior season.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell of tOSU is WNBA draft eligible this spring. Would not count on her returning for her senior season.

What makes someone draft eligible? I hadn't heard Kelsey's name mentioned with other draft eligible players like (Russel and DeShields) so I was unaware she was eligible. Thanks!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What makes someone draft eligible? I hadn't heard Kelsey's name mentioned with other draft eligible players like (Russel and DeShields) so I was unaware she was eligible. Thanks!
A player must be 22 years of age to play a rookie season in the WNBA. Kelsey Mitchell DOB is September 17, 1994, she is 22 years old.
Loyd, Zahui B. Leaving Early Changes Thursday's WNBA Draft

Reaction Score
Thanks Coco. Didn't know that. Offhand I don't see why she wouldn't go pro. Staying won't improve her draft position much if at all (largely 'cuz it will be really high regardless). And it's not like OSU has a shot at a Nat'l Championship next year.

Reaction Score
What about getting her degree? I think that should be more important.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you may have found the birthdate of a different Kelsey Mitchell, who played her senior year for Michigan last year:
Kelsey Mitchell Bio - Michigan Women's Basketball - MGoBlue.com
It could be a remarkable coincidence or Google has mangled data. The other information about tOSU seems to fit and be correct.
kelsey.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It could be a remarkable coincidence or Google has mangled data. The other information about tOSU seems to fit and be correct. View attachment 19194

It would be unusual for someone to turn 22 at the start of their junior year. Was she 20 at the start of her freshman year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It would be unusual for someone to turn 22 at the start of their junior year. Was she 20 at the start of her freshman year?
That is probably not the correct birthday, and it looks like I may also have mangled few things.
WNBA 2017 Draft Eligibility is for anyone born in 1995.
According to another website these player (Non-Senior & Non-Transfers) were born in 95.
Jordin Canada
Rebecca Greenwell
Kelsey Mitchell
Victoria Vivians

Of this list Greenwell makes sense because she had a red shirt year. USA basketball confirms that Canada was born in 1995
But I still cannot find additional confirmation about Vivians & Mitchell.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That is probably not the correct birthday, and it looks like I may also have mangled few things.
WNBA 2017 Draft Eligibility is for anyone born in 1995.
According to another website these player (Non-Senior & Non-Transfers) were born in 95.
Jordin Canada
Rebecca Greenwell
Kelsey Mitchell
Victoria Vivians

Of this list Greenwell makes sense because she had a red shirt year. USA basketball confirms that Canada was born in 1995
But I still cannot find additional confirmation about Vivians & Mitchell.

"Mitchell is 22 and a junior, so she will have a decision to make in the spring as a draft-eligible player. She watched this past season’s W.N.B.A. finals with interest, but she said she had not begun to think about whether this would be her final year at Ohio State. Her coach has, though."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/sports/ncaabasketball/kelsey-mitchell-ohio-state.html?_r=0

Looks like you were correct! But I did see an instagram post from the OSU Women's team's page that had the Mitchell sisters birthdays in November. So the google birthday may have been a mangling of things.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anyone here think that Kelsey Mitchell won't be drafted in the first round in the WNBA whenever she decides to come out? Several posters here have suggested that Mitchell was not a team player (just a shooter), plays no defense, can be erratic at times, and does not make those around her better...............therefore, she would not be a good candidate to be selected in the first round. SMH. I agree she's not a defensive stalwart, but.............she can put the ball in the basket!!! That fact alone will get the attention of every GM in the league.

Reaction Score
Anyone here think that Kelsey Mitchell won't be drafted in the first round in the WNBA whenever she decides to come out? Several posters here have suggested that Mitchell was not a team player (just a shooter), plays no defense, can be erratic at times, and does not make those around her better.....therefore, she would not be a good candidate to be selected in the first round. SMH. I agree she's not a defensive stalwart, but...she can put the ball in the basket!!! That fact alone will get the attention of every GM in the league.

I've seen her put the ball in the basket against weak defensive efforts but have also seen her most definitively not put the ball in the basket whenever she's guarded well. Not sure where the weak defenses are going to come from once she turns pro.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Several posters here have suggested that Mitchell was not a team player (just a shooter), plays no defense, can be erratic at times, and does not make those around her better....

I haven't posted those comments but I've certainly thought them. Nonetheless, none of those things have stopped others with the same faults from being drafted as high as the first overall. Expect early first round for her as well as DD if she comes out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Mitchell is 22 and a junior, so she will have a decision to make in the spring as a draft-eligible player. She watched this past season’s W.N.B.A. finals with interest, but she said she had not begun to think about whether this would be her final year at Ohio State. Her coach has, though."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/sports/ncaabasketball/kelsey-mitchell-ohio-state.html?_r=0

Looks like you were correct! But I did see an instagram post from the OSU Women's team's page that had the Mitchell sisters birthdays in November. So the google birthday may have been a mangling of things.
Thanks for posting this. I saw that post also with her twin sister in November. I don't see her coming back.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
She's addressed the issue in numerous interviews and has remained steadfast that she's coming back for her senior season, however we know things change so take that for what it's worth. I'm of the opinion that she'll come back, WNBA salaries are not big enough to make money a motivation for the jump and she's really family oriented so playing overseas doesn't seem to a big appeal either, her Dad will have a least one more year as a tOSU assistant, which no one talks about, because I'm sure that was part of the deal to get her, as well as her twin sister getting a schollie. I believe she gets the record if she stays healthy, besides with Kevin McGuff coaching this team, what else do they have to play for?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I haven't posted those comments but I've certainly thought them. Nonetheless, none of those things have stopped others with the same faults from being drafted as high as the first overall. Expect early first round for her as well as DD if she comes out.
DeShields game and personality while it has raised some eyebrows in the NCAA is perfect for the WNBA game, she'll be a superstar, a more athletic version of Kayla McBride.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
DeShields game and personality while it has raised some eyebrows in the NCAA is perfect for the WNBA game, she'll be a superstar, a more athletic version of Kayla McBride.
Agreed. If DeShields and Mitchell declare for this draft both maybe among top 1-4 picks. Neither improves their draft position by staying the extra year when Wilson & Turner & Stevens ??? are eligible.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Agreed. If DeShields and Mitchell declare for this draft both maybe among top 1-4 picks. Neither improves their draft position by staying the extra year when Wilson & Turner & Stevens ??? are eligible.
DeShields and KMitch will both be seniors next year, they're a year ahead of Stevens, Turner and Wilson, are you breaking news here on BY....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
DeShields and KMitch will both be seniors next year, they're a year ahead of Stevens, Turner and Wilson, are you breaking news here on BY....
No. A. Stevens, B. Turner and A. Wilson And K. Mitchell are all HS class of 2014. They will be college class & WNBA draft 2018 along with J. Canada and S. Thomas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Give me American hero-to-be Kelsey Minato...
That Kelsey (my personal favorite) was last year. She got a WNBA opportunity but was cut by San Antonio in the spring. Not sure what her basketball future holds but her immediate future is serving her country-just as she wanted to do. God Bless her!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, her jump shot is now and will always be suspect. Every time she jumps it's at a different height and/or angle and it changes her shot. I don't think she'll ever have a good, consistent stroke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom