Kelsey Plum's Freshman Season: The Truth | The Boneyard

Kelsey Plum's Freshman Season: The Truth

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There was a lot of smoke blown in our direction last WNBA season about Kelsey Plum's performance. Now, the truth:

"When Plum herself is asked to reflect on her rookie season, which began with her basking in the adulation of being the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA, she doesn’t want to even go there."
"Allowing herself a moment of reflection before Thursday’s game, Plum said the speed, physicality and intensity of the WNBA game was eye-opening."

“I would equate playing 10 minutes here to a 40-minute college game,’’ Plum said “I think I’ve grown mentally. You get a lot thicker skin. I went from a program that it was all about me, to here, where I’m a role player. So I just have to figure out my role.”

I like Kelsey, but I don't think her physique or game will ever have her "big" in the WNBA and yet she was the finals MVP in Europe, so what do I know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I love Kelsey, I agree with you about her physique not being able to hold up in the WNBA, you know a lot. I love Kelsey's honesty but I'm surprised that she was surprised by the speed, physicality and intensity of the WNBA game because she was at USA basketball camp with several USA basketball olympians. It is not just the WNBA either where the jump from college to the pros is a major leap and it is not that unusual to find players that dominate in college that physically not compete at the professional level. Anybody remember Jimmer Fredette?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In every sport there are players who just don’t translate well to the next level for a number of reasons. Johnnie Manzel won the Heisman as the best college football player in the nation, but with the exception of Cleveland, most pro scouts did not project Manzel to be successful in the NFL, and they were correct. In every sport, when you go from college to pro, the game gets faster and more physical.

I remember an interview that Stewie did shortly after the Huskies stormed to their 4th straight championship, when an ill-informed reporter suggested to Stewie that UConn could match up with the best teams in the WNBA. To her credit, Stewie was incredulous, responding to the effect that the pros were at a completely different level than college.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In every sport there are players who just don’t translate well to the next level for a number of reasons. Johnnie Manzel won the Heisman as the best college football player in the nation, but with the exception of Cleveland, most pro scouts did not project Manzel to be successful in the NFL, and they were correct. In every sport, when you go from college to pro, the game gets faster and more physical.

I remember an interview that Stewie did shortly after the Huskies stormed to their 4th straight championship, when an ill-informed reporter suggested to Stewie that UConn could match up with the best teams in the WNBA. To her credit, Stewie was incredulous, responding to the effect that the pros were at a completely different level than college.

Of course Breanna was savy enough to know that if she suggested otherwise she might be joining a whiny Candace Wiggins. Vic Schaefer got the ball rolling on that one of course, saying UConn could play with any WNBA team. Kara the Shrewed said it best:

"UConn beat a WNBA team?

"Not going to happen," Lawson said. "I just laughed at it. ... This UConn team has Breanna Stewart. That's why anybody is entertaining the conversation in the slightest, because they have a superstar player."

Lawson says, regardless of what happens in the Final Four, Stewart is the greatest player in women's college basketball history.

"Next year are you going to say UConn can [beat a WNBA team]?" Lawson said. "No. It's because of her presence. She is going to walk into the league and be one of the 10 best players from day one. She's great. But she doesn't play with other people at that level. I don't want to demean them in the slightest. [The Huskies] have other good players who could eventually go on and have great pro careers."

UConn Vs. WNBA Team? Don't Go There, Say Lobo, Lawson, Burke

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Great points. Players like Manzel and Tebow are 2 great examples - players who were just not good enough to compete at the next level even tho they were stars in college. On the women's side, Schimmel, Bernice Mosby (#6 pick in 2007), Jacinta Monroe (#6 pick in 2010), Sammy Prahalis and Kelly Cain (#6 and 7 picks in 2012)...

There are some players who translate immediately to the next level (this year, Wilson and Nurse for example), and others who take a full year or more to reach the potential they had in college (Skylar Diggins for example), and others who end up on teams who simply don't use them right (or have players ahead of them, or they are in the wrong situation), and they blossom when they move to a new environment (Liz Williams)...

I'm sure there are many other examples...

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What am I missing about her physique? To me she's similar to Lindsay Whalen. I don't see the problem.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
As Kara mentioned the old article above, the players in the WNBA are really, really, really good. 12 teams with 12 players. I like the pt she made about Tina Charles her rookie year--yeah she had the stats, but she had no idea what she was doing. Now, she's a great player==far better than when she left college.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What am I missing about her physique? To me she's similar to Lindsay Whalen. I don't see the problem.

Whalen has a relentless intensity that Kelsey does not. Lindsay has always been a very heady distributing point guard. These are compensations for an imperfect physique. Kelsey has a Whalen build without Whalen's compensating attributes.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I thought this was a good observation. Also, it wasn't until her 5th season that Sloot recorded an above average (i.e. above 15) PER.

Speaking of physiques, I think Sloot and Plum have a similar build. In fact, their listed height and weights are the exact same, 5-8, 145 lbs. Sloot may be a little leaner and more muscular but I don't think Plum's size precludes her from being a successful WNBA player.

I think she may just need another season or two to figure it out, like Sloot did.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Physique? Why, because Moriah Jefferson...is a goddess...Moriah blows the who idea of physique out of the water...as I am sure she will eventually be the Olympic team starting point guard and one of the premier point guards in the league if not already.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Whalen has a relentless intensity that Kelsey does not. Lindsay has always been a very heady distributing point guard. These are compensations for an imperfect physique. Kelsey has a Whalen build without Whalen's compensating attributes.

I recognize Plum doesn't have the same skill set as Whalen, but I'm not so sure about the lack of intensity.

I know excuses are a dime a dozen and everybody has one, but several factors have worked against Plum. She started her rookie season with a bum ankle that kept her from being able to play the way she had her entire career. Rookie season is hard enough already, that didn't help.

Heading into second season w/ a new coach in a new location, basically a new franchise, she was overseas and missed camp and preseason and the beginning of the regular season, so she is totally behind on the adjustment to all the changes w/ the franchise. Not a good way to start a second season when the first year fell below expectations.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Physique? Why, because Moriah Jefferson...is a goddess...Moriah blows the who idea of physique out of the water...as I am sure she will eventually be the Olympic team starting point guard and one of the premier point guards in the league if not already.

She has to be healthy again for any of that to happen. Last year was pretty much lost and hasn't played yet this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I recognize Plum doesn't have the same skill set as Whalen, but I'm not so sure about the lack of intensity.

I know excuses are a dime a dozen and everybody has one, but several factors have worked against Plum. She started her rookie season with a bum ankle that kept her from being able to play the way she had her entire career. Rookie season is hard enough already, that didn't help.

Heading into second season w/ a new coach in a new location, basically a new franchise, she was overseas and missed camp and preseason and the beginning of the regular season, so she is totally behind on the adjustment to all the changes w/ the franchise. Not a good way to start a second season when the first year fell below expectations.

As I mentioned above Europe had to be good for her. She won the championship's MVP award, though her stats for the season with F'bache were 6.8 points and 2.1 assists, hardly slaying it stats. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for her, but don't see her tearing it up.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for her, but don't see her tearing it up.

Me too. I'm well beyond tearing it up and just hoping for consistent contributor.

Reaction Score

Manziel has personal demons that prevent him from being a great pro but if he could he would be great.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Manziel has personal demons that prevent him from being a great pro but if he could he would be great.
No doubt, but beyond Manziel’s personal issues, many pro scouts questioned his size, arm strength and ability to throw from the pocket. In college, Manziel’s ability to improvise and make plays was his greatest strength. In the pros, that tendency often results in TO’s or gets you hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom